Sofirn C8F host. 21700 C8F Available

Not really…we’ve been hearing such stories for a long time. 21700 is here and is not even new. Manufacturers keep adding new cells in this size, but the revolution? Has not arrived.
If it ever does, you can be pretty sure that the same chemistry will be applied to 18650 as well.

So I view 21700 as a good choice for single cell lights. Quad 21700 would be too thick and quad 18650 is more space efficient than triple 21700. And I fully expect it to remain so.

A year ago the 20700 was supposed to the hot new cell size. It kind of fizzled.

Basically the 21700 is just a 50% bigger container than an 18650. That’s all it is which is why it has about 40% to 50% more capacity. It’s the same chemical mix as in the 18650.

If the freaking big cell companies would apply their mixes to the 26650 (double the container size of 18650) to give us 7000mah versions, that size would be more popular as well.

While we are at it, why not do the 32650 cells as well. They are already roughly the size of D batteries. With that same chemical mix as an 18650 doing 3500mah, we could have 32650 cells (about 3 times the container size) with 10,000mah! :partying_face:

I guess the big battery companies don’t see the 26650 and 32660 as being worth their time.

/\ …. :+1: …… A 7000 mAh 26650 would be nice! :slight_smile:

Not ’til the vapers get on board.

Can’t recall the last time I saw a flashlight store on the main drag, yet I know of at least 3 vape shops, and I don’t even vape.

Any idea when new C8F in 21700 will be available?

Probably next month.

I charged my pair of Samsung 30T’s (21700) the other day, they showed a superbly ridiculous 9 milli Ohm internal resistance! What other cell can say THAT?

Hmm 420A on a full short.

Not the safest cell if you short it :smiling_imp:

Did they make a decision whether to use a tail cap switch or no switch?

Maybe no switch, but offer it seperate?

I eagerly await this new Sofirn light/host.

I really doubt flashlights rate any attention from the LiIon operations of Panasonic, Samsung, and LG. Nor does vaping.

The reason some of us are interested in the 21700 is that it appears to have some big customers we can piggyback along with, much like the 18650.

Yeah BSM, the pair of those 30T’s give me 48.8A at the tail in my triple XHP-70.2 light, that kinda scared me! lol

How do you figure that direct short current based on the internal resistance?

Hi everyone!
I didn’t told any release date because I didn’t get it. Sofirn just told me that at first they want to release a few new flashlights and updated versions. Then after that they will release the 21700 C8F. Still didn’t get any release date. If I get one, I will tell ASAP.

I was just reading a review on the SP32A and saw it had a ramping option in addition to normal stepped levels. Both lights use FET drivers with an e-switch.

I wonder if the C8F could be made similar? One click on/off, hold to ramp up or down, dbl click to go to turbo. That’s something I like lot. Has anyone asked about this?

It’d be tres kewl with the Q8’s UI (NarsilM?).

I think Dale and I both use Anduril on our C8F lights and it is indeed very “kewl”. Richard also bundles it in his C8F packages on his site. The Emisar version anyway.

Considering this mystery link between Thorfire and Sofirn and they both have ramping lights seems silly not to consider.

Narsil runs on attiny mcu’s. The Sofirn uses something completely different.

Thorfire does not have Atinny based drivers in the correct size, only the big Q8 size.

Richard builds his own drivers using the atinny mcu.

What I’m talking about is a stock Sofirn driver using a Sofirn ramping UI. The driver sizes my already be the same it’s just a matter of if the SP32A driver can handle the power of the C8F emitters.

Ramping on the SP32A is junk in my opinion. Deathly slow and very clunky. I am hoping they fixed it or gotten rid of it altogether in the updated 2.0 version. Haven’t heard many people that enjoy using it.

todd is correct, the Sofirn ramping leaves a lot to be desired… especially after getting used to the sweet ramping from TK and TomE. :wink:

@Dale, I do agree.

Also, you wanted to know how I calculate the max current a cell can provide?

It is easy. Just use Ohm’s law, and the max voltage of the cell, and its internal resistance.

Samsung 30T:

4,2V max voltage/0,01Ohm internal resistance = 420A under a max short.

Also, to calculate the max rated current of a cell, it is quite easy too.

Just take the difference between max voltage and nominal voltage, which is 0,5-0,6V.

Samsung 30T:

0,5V/0,010+/-0,002Ohm = 50A+/- 20%, so 40A rated. At such high currents, the margin for error is higher, so I introduced it

Samsung 30Q:

0,6V/0,040Ohm= 15A rated.