Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

There is a big difference between customer service and Research and development.

Customer service is fairly simple in most cases, you just have to make a choice of if you will take care of the issue or not.

R&D has a ton of variables and happens in spurts in my experience. Lots of hurry up and wait.

The battery tube is one piece for two 26650 batteries.

the bezel will be anodized aluminum.

Thanks!

hey guys,

Please confirm the light should with anti-reflective coating, orange reflector.

Yes, AR coating is good but make sure it is not a coating that causes the tint to change please.

Orange peel reflector is also good IMHO.

You might also want to look into defocusing the LED some in order to eliminate the dark spot in the beam. I can not use the S70 even with an XHP70.2 installed due to the dark spot annoying me. I have sold both of the ones I had for this reason. I think a slight de-focus is how the L6 is able to remove the dark spot.

Orange peel reflector? There is no way your going to get good distance using that. I thought from the very beginning it needs to be smooth.

With SMO you get a nice, tight pattern using the xhp70.2.

In my testing the difference between OP and SMO is generally less then 10% and the OP looks a lot better IMHO.

If the bezel will be aluminum, then there is no reason to change the color to silver. It would be purely cosmetic. In this case, the number 4 picture with black bezel will look better (in my opinion).

I was really hoping it would be stainless steel. Maybe a small batch of stainless steel bezels can be made and sold seperately if demand is high enough?

We were shooting for 1000 meter range.

I was under the impression we would use a SMO from the very start of this project. Sofirn talking about using an OP really comes out of left field.

I switched my L6 over to SMO and am never going back. There is zero reason to go back. The SMO looks great with the 70.2.

Remember though that the L6 is not the S70. The S70 even with the OP reflector has an ugly beam with a noticeable dark spot.

An SMO will work if the LED is de-focused to get rid of the dark spot and might even come out slightly ahead of a focused OP reflector.

Without real world testing it is hard to know exactly what the results will be.

I really like the look of the head on #1. But, #3 has a more functional head.

Either way, #3 battery tube for sure.

Also, great job of Sofirn setting the side switch lower and easy to find :+1:

Please take my money! :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

SMO reflector for me and for the bezel I prefer stainless stell then clear anodize in order.

I definitely donā€™t want a darkspot at the center of the beam. I think the smoother beam with the OP will appeal to most. However, given the huge head on this, there is so much throw potential that I personally would want to maximize the throw with a SMO. Can Sofirn provide two options or sell a SMO reflector separately? You can buy a SMO separately for the Convoy L6.

If sofirn fixes the reflector size parameters and make a prototype of one SMO and one OP with centering rings for XHP70.2 I can make some beamshots and measurements of throw to compare them and so we can decide what to choose what to go with full production.

This would be the best option, with things like this you just simply canā€™t know for sure until you try it out in the real world.

Seeing as the bezel is alloy i would prefer number 4 it also has a bigger gap between the larger fins and the smaller fins should let in more air. That may or may not matter but it should be easier for heat to escape?

Also i thought we where going with the SMO reflector? That is why we started this build? We know why the engineers prefer an OP style reflector but we prefer an SMO reflector stock an maybe an OP as a second option?
I think the beam should look okay even if using an SMO reflector if worse came to worse we could shave the dome. As TA said the difference isnā€™t huge but id say more around 15-20% difference in throw between the two types of reflectors. I have only ever tested this with smaller reflectors like C8, S2+. If any one is wonder a C8 with a OP reflector looks good!

Yea we want AR coated glass. Do you know how thick the glass will be?

I would love an SS bezel makes it look fancy like an Acebeam lol

Iā€™ll try to do a summary.

Head shape
It looks like the stepped shape head of #1 and #4 are the clear favorites. I can get behind that.

Battery tube pattern
I donā€™t see a clear favorite for the battery tube pattern. The 5 lights in the picture seem to only have 2 different styles. They both look good to me.

Tail cap design
No one has really mentioned the 2 different designs. They both look okay to me. Maybe the tapered one with the big grooves in it (1, 2, 4 and 5) is a bit nicer?

Reflector finish
We might need to try both. I prefer SMO, but Sofirn has to get the focus just right to get a nice looking beam. The OP probably doesnā€™t need as much precise focus.

Main bezel
I think most people wanted stainless steel. Maybe this can be an option later as it adds expense and weight. If the stock light has to come with an aluminum bezel we need to decide if it should be black or a silver color.

Battery tube are very similiar so i dont think it matters to much? Number 3 probably makes the most sense if you live some where you wear gloves the bigger separation helps. Also i personally prefer the tail cap on number 3 i like Knurling i feel it has more grip with bare hands. Could get that one wrong easy bear hands lol

A stainless steel bezel will not only improve the protection but it will also look more professional.

I will pas 2-3 bucks more for the light if it comes with stainless steel bezel.
Tube can be the number 3 but with more aggressive knurling.
Tailcap is ok with number one design.

I hope a stainless steel bezel will became a priority.