Something I've been working on

New led and optic fitted. I took a current reading and while doing so realized I haven’t bypassed the springs DOH! :person_facepalming: This also brings forward the fact I haven’t made the switch easily removable :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming:

I got a quick shot with my phone and a shot of a Meteor m43 for comparison.

Very nice. The garden that is. :slight_smile:
Which light is which in the garden shots?

The first pic is the Frankenstein creation. It is more floody and warmer than the meteor (meteor is second pic)

Looks good with enough output to annoy the next block. :+1:

I went back to try and fix the issue of melting optics on this light. I cut up some small reflectors as a substitute. I couldn’t use the original bezel so I cut back the first fin on the head and threaded the outside of the tube to fit a new bezel over the outside, it’s chunky but I like it better than the original.

I screwed up the reflectors so I will need to order more and do it again :person_facepalming: I wanted to quickly hold them together so put a little CA glue on them. Not the right stuff I know but it’s what I had that grabbed quick. The vapours from the glue dirtied up the reflectors. I tried to buff it out with a dremel but as you can imagine it didn’t turn out that good.

On the bright side I won’t be worrying about melting optics anymore. So I put in some 30Q cells…. bad idea! It was real bright but instantly started dropping in output and started turning blue. I switched back to my old reclaimed cells and the lower current cells seemed to work better for the leds. The beam pattern is also good, I would go as far to say I like it better than the optics.

Good job how is the new lathe.i must try cutting reflectors one day

More questions. What reflectors did you use and how did you cut the flats on them?

I used these reflectors

I mounted them in the tool holder of the lathe and a milling bit in the chuck. It was pretty easy to workout how much to cut off now that I have DRO’s fitted to the lathe. The hole at the base of the reflectors was too small for the xhp35 so I mounted them all together in the chuck and cut some of the base off the reflectors to open up the holes.

The lathe is going good. The one major complaint I read about this lathe is it’s noisy. It is noisy but I can put up with that. The quick change gearbox outways the negatives for me :partying_face:

Noisey is it motor noise or geartrain noise?

Very creative pp. Thanks for the extra pics. :+1:

Noisy because it’s a gear head. Quick change gearbox for both thread/feed as well as spindle speed.