Tablet deal - or maybe not

If you mean paused as in game menu paused, then yes that does happen. However if you mean suspended paused then you are half correct. I played a game to test it out. After minimizing the game while in play, re launching the game will have it go to the game pause screen instantly and you can resume playing like if you had gone into the pause menu normally. There are no stuck screens or reloading the game. But after leaving the game for an extended amount of time, say 10 minutes, the game will need to reload it self because the OS has suspended it like you said. This is for an app that does not tell the OS to not suspend it though.

By definition an interactive app doesn’t do anything without interaction.

Again, android specifically pauses tasks which aren’t foreground by placing them in a state which won’t be scheduled for CPU time. This has nothing to do with “pausing” a video game or closing it, but an internal function of the OS itself.

Now Im thinking again of buying Ainol Aurora 2, but with touchscreen tested before shipment.

I just dont know wich cablesaccesories I need with it??

Because I’ve read that they shipped Aurora 1 with some cables, and Aurora 2 without them (you mus buy them separately). But I dont know what cables I need.

I think Aurora 2 has good IPS screen, its google market cmpatible etc etc.

It has all except Bluetooth.

Vectrex - couldnt I use wifi connection instead of bluetooth for that??

Maybe I can use USB bluetooth dongle also?

But I dont see much problems if I use my cell as a hotspot for tablet

If your phone can handle WiFi direct and cell data at the same time then there should be no problems.

Hehe, I must test that :smiley: (its Samsung Galaxy MIni)

— it seems it can, it has (Im translating now) - “Sharing of data conection via USB or Wifi mobile acces point”.

SO it seems its not a problem even with this low budget phone.

In my tablet buying opsession Ive searched through internet a lot.

I like this one http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Onda-V712-Amlogic-A9-Dual-core-16gb-Android-4_0-1_5ghz-Ips-Tablet-Pc-p-50270.html

(or onda V711)

I like 712 better because it has rear camera too.

It has little better specs than Aurora II, I think, and Onda brand is somewhat reputable, like Ainol.
I didnt read reviews for V712 yet, but they are good for V711.

But prices f these are still little too high for my taste, I hpe prices come around 100$

http://ipadalternative.com/129-onda-v801-dual-core-cortex-a9-cpu-8-inch-android-4-ics-hdmi-1024-x-768-high-definition-display.html

This one is also good I think, no rear camera but 8 inch screen, and 4:3 wich I like.
Probably also IPS screen.

WIth 10% discount I would seriously think to buy it :smiley:
Also stereo speakers, I think Aurora 2 has mono

Right. I had one somewhat similar last year and I ended up sending it back (to an ebay seller) because it couldn’t do much of anything well. Just FYI. On the other hand, you may love it. Me, I’ve steered clear because these things are like toys and I realize there is no advantage with them over a standard laptop.

Well, you tld nus nohing if you didnt tell wich one you bought (and why).

MS Windows also cant do almost anytzhing welll so billions of people are using it, including me.

I think 7inch tablet iis totally different thing than notebook PC, naturally. For example notebook you cannot put in bigger pocket :slight_smile:

SInce nobody put here ome link to this famous ROM plaice I didnt browse through it. Im browsing tablet reviews where SWs are certainly touched - and more.

cyanogenmod or aokp supported device lists aren’t hard to find. They’re the golden standards (esp the former) for aftermarket support. For example, there are standard apps available for Cyanogenmod to update itself seamlessly.

I dont k ow what these are, but also think that Ainol and Onda brands have support. Otherwise that would be mentioned in the reviews of PC “tablet-holics”

Have a look here for your device and ROMs

They’re top of the food chain derivatives from AOSP (basically what google releases) worked on by very competent programmers.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices
http://aokp.co/site/index.php?/forum/3-supported-devices/

I’m sure there are other decent ones, but these are the best (full functionality, all the little things). The point is that the lifespan of the tablet will be much longer with better user experience if you pick HW from the list of supported devices rather than the other way around. Otherwise it’s a complete crapshoot what it’s going to be like a year down the road.

Yeah but for the price of one supported you can buy 3 not supported and you can always havce better HW specs :slight_smile: (if buying one each year, wich I dont intend to do, but… )
I mean Im searching for really budget one here.
I thought there would be some chinese tablets on these ROM support lists.

The aurora screens are very,very nice from an optical standpoint... but tend to have touchscreen problems (sometimes they act weird when the charger is connected, sometimes activating the corners is difficult) ... If you get a good one, they are pretty much perfect. Google some reviews before you buy one and get something like a shipping back guarantee to cover the high shipping costs back to China, in case something doesn't work out. All those direct China imports have some drawbacks. It starts with the playstore (for apps) not showing all available apps and goes over to hardware problems like low WiFi performance and certain components getting too hot. So when you have decided on your specifications, than pick some candidates and start reading reviews on slatedroid are similar forums, they will probably list every problem there is with these devices and how to solve them if there is a solution. So if you expect everything to work out of the box right away, then these devices are probably not for you. I really like my Elf II besides having a TN display... but the Darkelf Rom made it so much better and it was a 10 minute effort to flash the new firmware. Dino asked me if I wanted another Aurora I as replacement but I decided to go with the ELF II, because I was worried to get a weird acting touchscreen again and the ELF II behaves much better. BTW I was positively surprised that Dino honored their insurance and I didn't even have to ship the "partly defective" Aurora 1 back, because shipping costs would have been like €42. So I have 1,5 tablets for the price of one. ;-) So my general advice would be: Only buy in China directly if they offer extended warranties or try get the device from an European seller that will take it back if something goes wrong, or is not working as supposed to.

Some here said that hardware specs aren't the only thing to consider and they are right to some degree. But I have now 7 android devices (3 tablets, 2 phones, 2 Media-PCs) here to play around with and all of them are in the sub $150 range. I personally wouldn't go below 1GB and a nice dual-core just because the price difference is so minimal and the performance boost is very much detectable in everyday use, that goes double if you intend to watch video-streams over the web browser. If I didn't need HDMI and a MicroSDHC slot I would strongly consider the Google Nexus (IPS) and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (TN+Film) but the android devices are also starting to take the ridiculous upgrade policies, that the apple products are known for. ( 8 additional GB for €50 are you kidding me... I can get 32GB mSDHC cards for 16)

If you have an Android phone, it should be possible to tether over WiFi, but WiFi is the number one cause of short battery life besides the display being on. I have the feeling that BT is way more energy efficient and works even with older phones and more devices... at least to my experience. BT also has some other nice applications besides surfing the web (BT music connectors, keyboard, mouse, PS3 controller)

What you can do once you narrow the choices to few cheapies is look through pretzy’s link above and look for CM or AOKP ports. The list is for official support, but since it’s open source, various hobbyists may have ported them to what you’re looking to buy. The unofficial ports tend to be more haphazard.

At some level this is just a trade off of quality of experience for $. For example, “buggy” often means bad wifi, or cannot deep sleep (drains batteries fast), etc. Sometimes you can take the effort to solve all the niggling issues depending on how much it bothers you, but make no mistake the Nexus 7 for 200 bucks is the prime platform.

This is why I gave recommendations above for well supported yet inexpensive pads for less, but they center on US retail (though I’m sure you can manage to ship them elsewhere). For example, I got my Touchpad for about 100 apiece and I refer the size for home use. The touchstone wireless charging stand for them is superb and worth the $50. The quality of this HW is like comparing ZL or jetbeam to budget lights. Not necessary worth the extra cost in simple lights (tube and an emitter) but worth the premium for something sophisticated like a computer.

Virgin mobile sells a mobile hotspot called the MyFi, you buy a data plan and no more rocket sticks for your pad or laptop :wink:

I'm waiting for the Win RT and Win 8 tablets -- coming very soon. Microsoft is taking pre-orders on the Win RT version now. Not budget, but this is a business write-off . I got the iPad now, but would love full-compatibility of full blown Win 8 on a tablet. Got a Win phone already.

I've seen what you can do with Win 8 - impressive. Ms is trying to compete with the big boys (small toys?).

Win RT is arm based (not fully PC app compatible), Win 8 tablets are fully compatible, Ms's will be a i5 core I believe.

Anyone have any comments on the Kindle Fire HD 7" ?.....I'm interested in something portable for reading a digital magazine subscription and the occasional NY Times article away from home. I would as well want to do some surfing and reading/sending email. I'm trying to keep my spending in the $200 range.

I hope the OP doesn't mind my inserting this inquiry here.