Tablet deal - or maybe not

Get a Nexus 7 instead, if you wait a bit the 16gb version will replace the 8gb and the 32gb replace the 16gb at the same price. Prices start at $200 and you can access both the amazon and google store on the tablet.

The Kindle app is available on the Google Play Store.

The nexus 7 is much better software. It’s goog’s premier platform for android.

Agreed.

I plan on buying only Nexus tablets / phones. Except from LG and HTC.

Now Im closest to buy Onda V811.

Main pros (on top of HW and SW spec requirements):

1. its on DInodirect, and I have 10% discooun there as idinor King, and additonal 10% coupon (I like deals ! :slight_smile: )
  2. I like 4:3 screens

I was searching dinodirect for best prices among Ainol and Onda tablets, amng the specs I search, and this is it.

Pros is also a metal back cover…

I just didnt read much about this specific Onda model (much more about Onda V711), and I dont know much about 8 inch screen.

Also, you already have available spare screens for Ainol and Onda 7 inch tablets, bu I havent seen any for 8 inch Onda - but I hope that I would be able to get it somehow if needed, 7 incsh screens are BTW around 50 bucks)

It has only 0,3Mpx front camera adn it doesnt have bluetooth (like all tablets in that price range), but Ill cope with it…
After all, I have cellphone camera for taking photos, so I dont need back camera on the tablet (although, it would be fun, I admit - I would pay 10$ more for 2,0Mpx rear camera definitely…)

I’d say the aurora II is the best Ipad clone thus far. Have you seen the reviews on some of them? They are really tempting for me too. Esp. under 150 range or the under 200 range. Though I have to find and learn more about the Android OS.

This vid has the best demo of it playing games. I know i prob. not but what the heck.

I think exchanging the screens is more a theoretical possibility as long as you don't have a lot of experience on similar devices. There are no screws on any of my tablets, so they are held together with those plastic clips, which easily break off. I am a little confused by your wording.... "con" is mostly used in a negative way... as in pro and con, but from context i can tell that you are using "con" to describe the upsides of this tablet.

Frankly if someone has basic concerns, buying questionable 山寨 computer is a terrible idea.

Yes its a mistake made in haste, Ill correct it.

Agenthex Im not sure what do you exactly mean….
Onda is, besides Ainol, one of the most prominent chinese tablet manafacturers, so there is somewhat wide community support etc.

WIth new versions of firmwara these Onda tablets achive really good benchmark results totally on par or bettter with 3-4 times more expensive tablets… And has TF support unlike many of the latter

feilox, Im not some big gamer neither, or not at all, but it seems that responsiveness to commands in these graphicCOU heavier games are crappy :slight_smile:
I know Ainol is currently the best, I just hope Onda will be the soewhere on that level. (And it has wider screen and is cheaper for the same specs)

I think Agenthex is trying to tell you that the quality fluctuation is probably too high on those China tablets and that you should stick with well known Korean/Japanese/western brands. Like with budget flashlight reading one positive reviews is not enough. I often google "insert tablet/gadget name here"+"problem" to get a feel where there might be issues, but this only works for tablets that are wide spread and longer on the market. The Onda seems to be pretty new and I haven't seen any critical reviews yet. The tech specs are looking good and the viewing angles also look good in this video. For around $120-130 it might be worth a try, but I would invest the $2-3 dollars in the insurances that Dino offers... just to have all bases covered. You would be pretty much the guinea pig. Having access to a wide user base is also good if the original firmware rom is not hat good. Others have already mentioned Cyanogen mod and other user based firmware that try to iron out the kinks that many of those China tablets have. Having a common chip-set and a common tablet is highly desirable in that regard.

Yeah, I weill suely invest 0,99 for insurance they offer, for shipping back, although I had terrible experiences with dinodirect customer service… If any problem, I hope itll be good, like in your case (If I remember well).

Has anyone used special packaging request from dinodirect.

Ill try to ask them to ship it out of the box, or in 2 packages, to avoid 25-40% customs and taxes.
I know it can be done without much problems, I just hope they would get it.

I mean out of original box, packed in the iddle of 2 styropore plates…

Technical spec is hardly the concern with low rent tablets. Google can release a single core 512mb nexus and I’d still take it over any of these, even if I can pick the best out of 3 samples. And guess what, the Nexus will still work better with more apps and more sites.

According to the video it seems that original box is not to big for the tablet, just the size (just a little to thick), so I probably wont ask them to pack it out of the box :slight_smile:

You have some benchmark tests to prove it?

Its more than a double the price here if and wqhen available, so I dont think about Nexus at all.

Regarding this V811. I like 4:3 screen very much, but seeing this video I see that it is much less portable, I think, than 7 inch tablets. It will be very hard to put it in some big pocket, but Il cope with it…

PPS: Agenthex, I didnt even consider Nexus (so i didnt research it) because its not available here where I live and if it will be available itll prbably cost around 350$, wich is totally different than 120$ Ill pay for this tablet with totally similar specs and performance, AND larger screen.
Of course screen on the nexus is probably better, scratch resistant, built quality etc, but it doesnt have TF expandibility for example.
Even 200$ is pretty different than 120$. For 200$ I would maybe think about it, but I cant buy it for 200.

And Nexus of course also is not perfect and has its sjare issues (from touschscreen and meory to power plugs etc…) nexus 7 problems - Google Search

These are not simple devices like a flashlight but rather have perhaps over 10000 times the complexity. That is not an exaggeration. Low rent android can work for low expectation users, but the difference/deficiency is rather obvious to those who know how they work.

For instance, I have a phone which is made by perhaps the best of the chinese oems (far far better than any of these tablets), well made enough to be re-branded by one of the largest western manufacturers and a flagship phone for a cell service. More than popular enough to have had several competent programmers work on improved roms (CM/MIUI/AOKP), and I still end up using a 2.2 rom ported from a sister phone re-brand because all the rest have significant quirky bugs. If it wasn’t a hobby/learning experience, I would’ve just got whatever device from the CM device list and be done with it. BTW, it can be clocked to 1.7ghz and faster than pretty much anything retail and I don’t even bother to because it’s largely pointless.

In general, CM is the only mod where the official supported device work more or less as they should. Everything else is a compromise of how broken of a computer you’re willing to accept for the $.

And wich phone is that, Im curious?

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOROLA-TRIUMPH/73034,en_US,pd.html

My tablet came in the Ainol packaging and an additional brown box around that that included the charger, so packaging was OK in my case... but the "Package Returning Premium" for $0.99 is a must... I remember that there was an additional $2 insurance fee option for extended warranty in case it gets damaged on transport, but they must have deleted that option. I personally wouldn't buy a 512 MB device if Sergey Brin programmed it himself, some shortcomings can't be avoided even with superior programming skills. But Agenthex is right that the software implantation is one of the biggest downsides of those China tablets.... and it's something that only shows in everyday use over a longer period of time. I don't use the original software on any of my 3 tablets any more. But it comes down to what you expect from those devices, at first almost everybody is blown away how much performance/features you can get for such a low price... once the initial euphoria has passed you start picking up the mostly minor flaws that are cumbersome in everyday use. If I would have to get a tablet for my Dad i would buy the Nexus, but since I like to tinker around with electronics gadget I would buy a China tablet again since there are no affordable tablets with 40-48GB flash memory and HDMI out available anywhere, but I would read more this time and take the cons into stronger consideration... a non-working touchscreen is a deal breaker for example, bad Wifi also. I would rather wait for critical reviews instead of being the guinea pig.

As I read Nexus 16GB is acctually 13GB because when below 3GB it has serious lags. Nd google response to this is similar to chinese customer service :slight_smile:
And you cant extend its memory :slight_smile:

I have a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I would not trade these for any other device.

I have only 1 problem with my Nexus 7, the screen brightness flicker. It happens only when automatic brightness is turned on. It does not affect functionality of the tablet in any way and at worst it is somewhat annoying.

The lack of micro SD is not a bother for me. As I said earlier though, a 32gb model will be replacing the 16gb model and 16gb the 8gb model at the same prices.