Test/Review of Charger LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500

This mine is going crazy…

humm looks like

A the cell has a high resistance
B it is in the final stage before the charge completes
C wow at 1amp it has been running a long time.

check with new cell. if same behavior then crazy charger, but ok.

if new cell charges much faster and has lower resistance then the cell has served you well and its time to retire it.

Yes, it is near the end of the charging, it go to 4.24 and wait some time, then drops on 4.22 also be some time and finish with 4.22.
It is NOR test, not only charging, because of that it needs more time.
Same behavior with other cells, this cell is new one.

I don’t see any problem at all.

• You did a NOR Test, which tests discharge capacity.
  • Discharge current is 500 mA ( half of charge current, which is shown at 1000 mA in the picture).
  • It took 6 hours & 50 minutes to accomplish the discharge at 500 mA, yielding a capacity of 3267 mAh.
  • IR reads 79mR, but the Internal Resistance Test on these machines is far from reliable. (which has already been mentioned in numerous threads and posts before)
  • Just a guess, but charging is about to end and cells will come off the charger at about 4.19 - 4.20 V if you check them with a DMM

I don’t see anything wrong???

What were you referring to when you mentioned it was “going crazy” ???

4.24 V is normal ?

Yes.

Looks great to me.

That 4.24 it “is showing” is at the very end of the charge isn’t it? Right before it is finished?

What voltage are the cells when they come off the charger and you check them with a DMM?

Yes, but should not be the maximum 4.20 V, how can I know is this charger overcharge a cells at some point, and maybe later when cells take off from charger it drops 4.20 V… DMM is showing 4.20 but it is a cheap and unreliable, I will get a new one better in 2 days.

Your charger is working correctly ‘vidramon’. :+1:
To verify that, you can look at some HKJ’s graphs in the OP. Look at the voltage curve.
You will notice it is doing just what your charger is doing. Slowly rises to somewhere around 4.24V then slowly declines to around 4.2 at termination.

Hope this helps……. :wink:

Thanks, but I was afraid because I have also some other problem with it that I mentioned earlier that is going crazy on slot 2 and do what it want’s. I thought it will die completely.

Sure man. :slight_smile: I was not aware of an earlier problem, I must have missed that. But what you have said and shown here appear to be correct operation of the charger.

‘vidramon’, I searched back through the thread and found your earlier posts about a problem. Did you ever get that sorted out, try to return the charger, clean the internals, or ever find out what was going on?

I was about to post my response to your questions but for some very stupid reason my safari crashed and lost my message :person_facepalming:

Well here’s a quick input.
I have 3 Lii-500 and none was charging my cell that high. Mine was only 4.17-4.18V at max. but don’t recall if Nor test was higher. Have you checked the other charging modes as well?

You also need to verify your DMM accuracy.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is what I’ve found…

Different batteries charge slightly differently than other batteries.
Some like a higher charge voltage, some like slightly less. Some end up with a slightly higher resting fully charged voltage then others. Its all in how that particular battery accepts the charge parameters…
But all these different batteries charge the same ‘different’ way consistently every time they are charged, almost exactly.

The voltage your li500 shows is the charge voltage, not resting state battery voltage. Except for the few seconds the battery is installed in charger before charging rate is chosen and charging starts.

The ir reading on the li500 is very confusing and not consistent for me. Although, end of charge ir reading seems to be more consistent then dis-charged state ir readings…? Even on high quality brand new batteries. Although new batteries ir seem more consistent, kind of…

Even a cheapy volt meter from HF will show resting state voltage, no expensive dmm is needed. Actually my expensive fluke dmm shows my red HF 3$ meter are almost identical for battery voltage measurements to the .00

jmo

IR is supposed to be measured on a fully charged battery.

Good to know, thank you…

I have several cheap DMM and they didn’t read the same. They differ by 1V+ when I tested my wall outlet.

Your wall outlet is AC isn’t it? At least 110 Volt I would assume. So that is less than a 1% difference between meters.

Apply that same, say 1% difference; to 4.2 Volt DC.

You end up with a 0.042 volt difference. And that is IF the difference is 1%.
Not a heck of a lot in the big scheme of things, for our purposes anyway.

Are you saying 0.042V difference is negligible for that guy’s testing/concern? And no need to check his dmm accuracy to confirm if his charger is charging his batteries higher than its usual?

A recently calibrated Fluke 289 compared to a $5 Harbor Freight DMM measuring an 18650 that was charged several weeks ago