The making of the BLF UC4 charger: the start of a new venture, INTEREST LIST, UPDATE 7 (Well, ramping stopped :/ )

Interested in 1 too. Thanks!

I wasn’t able to browse through the earlier pages… but I’m curious as to how the information display will be organized?

There may be 2 types of display (not sure how to go about it though): one is a “summary” display which shows the basic charging condition of each slot
(eg. a single screen shows the “capacity” “voltage” and maybe “charging current” of all 4 slots).

Then a second display type shows more detailed information about each slot (eg. the internal resistance, charging time) for a single slot.

Anyway just my thought…

Please add me to the list.

A minimum of 60W to fully power it up when using the 4 bays to charge at 3A.

Lots of laptop bricks definitively meet such power requirement, usually providing 65W or 90W of clean power. The only potential issue is the connector, which can be solved either with an adapter or by buying some standard (5.5mm × 2.5mm) coaxial DC power connector male(s) to swap over the stock connector (my way).

Concerning the display, I'd go with some sort of high resolution dot matrix unit. Monochrome/grayscale would be 0K in order to keep costs down. The MC3000 uses a low resolution one, for example.

In my opinion, I think a neat high resolution tactile display is possible. I'd raise the budget a little bit for such a thing. Besides, you save on buttons, all of 'em. ;-)

Well, that’s actually a great idea Barkuti.

While I still prefer the high contrast monochrome display that we’re going to use for simplicity and maximum power efficiency, an low red IPS display would be a good idea.

I wonder which would be cheaper: a touch screen UC4 with no buttons machined in, or an 8 button UC4 without a touchscreen display.

“I wonder which would be cheaper: a touch screen UC4 with no buttons machined in, or an 8 button UC4 without a touchscreen display.”

Would such a change make the possibility of using Cheali a possibility? Any idea of how much price increase would be involved to include Cheali?
Thanks for all your hard work on this project :+1:
OG

Clear back on page two I forgot to say in for one…

If there's doubt, then there is no doubt. Go inexpensive touch screen with decent resolution.

Cheali? It would require to be ported. This means compatible hardware with access to it and decent screen requirements. On top of this, someone to port it. And a way to flash it in case whoever makes the charger refuses to Cheali.

If you want Cheali, start God requesting it right now.

Up to date interest list
Total quantity (at the moment): 274

Would be nice if there were two versions of this charger both with the same quality internals with the only difference being a nice colored larger oled screen that can display all four battery V ect at the same time. I'd probably get one OLED for myself and a couple of normal screens for my friends.

Ah, no, especially not OLED.

If we are getting a colored screen(hopefully), OLED is not a consideration at all.

Burn-in is way too risky for a product like a charger.

Ok, how about a nice high res color screen? Every product needs an upscale version to balance the books!

I also would be willing to pay more for a color touchscreen that could display more info. Totally worth the extra $$$.

Ok, have asked the question.

I really hope they say it’s the same price for an IPS touchscreen vs machining 8 buttons into the aluminium+putting the buttons in.

For example, iPhone 4S smartphones feature a 3.5", 3:2 960 × 640 pixel touchscreen. The 5/5c/5s did with a 4", ≈16:9 1136 × 640 one. That stuff is super-cheap to manufacture nowadays. Since the cost may have to do with the perceived value by customers, better use some sober graphics. Albeit, in any case, the device isn't going to be powered by powerful CPUs, just a competent microcontroller. Thus, either much lower resolutions are due (¼ or so), or a more powerful microcontroller/CPU, or both. Just sayin'…

My Eizfan Lux S4 lcd touch-sreen display has this screen, I wonder how much will it add to this project’s cost:

A color touch screen is a great idea, let’s try to see if we can get it!

Shitcoins.

Rough guessing that screen looks like 384 × 256 pixels or thereabouts.

The screen is cheap, pretty sure. Other than this, you paid for a charger at the price of exclusiveness nicotine vice, imho.

Maybe a tad hulky display for this project.

Is NiMh termination selectable? -dv/dt, 0dv/dt, voltage termination + topoff charge or no topoff? Trickle selectable current or no trickle charge?

I’m interested.