The making of the BLF UC4 charger: the start of a new venture, INTEREST LIST, UPDATE 7 (Well, ramping stopped :/ )

Yeah, there’s a plan to get an outside connection with some aftermarket cables to actually charge extremely uncommon sizes.

Interested for 2

Thank you, Barkuti - even if that powerbank board isn’t suitable for the UC4 prototype, it’s interesting in its own right. There even appears to be an English datasheet for the SOC:

http://www.injoinic.com/wwwroot/uploads/files/20200221/ec29931791194a51119ee1d6a4a21efb.pdf

and the manufacturer has all manner of other powerbank SOCs as well:

http://www.injoinic.com/product_detail/id/21.html?lang=en-us

@Phlogiston, yeah you’re right.

Thanks a bunch Barkuti. :smiley:

I've built a few powerbanks with DIY kits based on IP5328 equipped boards. A couple examples:

If you will I can share a few photos of them later.

P.S.: my review and the photos I submitted with it can be seen in the sale advertisement below.

If the list is still being updated, I’m interested in one.

I’m interested in one. Thanks

How do these work? I have bad experiences with DIY powerbank kits not giving their full capacity and charging very slowly.

These DIY power banks work nicely, at least in my experience Sirstinky. Bear in mind, though, that I do solder the cells to the circuit board. This greatly reduces the effective internal resistance of the battery as the internal boost converter sees it, which in turn means improved efficiency. With soldered or spot welded cells efficiency can easily climb above 90% (I can confirm). If using the internal battery holding framework of DIY power banks, usually made with some cheap metal and steel springs, efficiency drops a good deal. If you look at DIY power bank reviews you'll find reports of 80+% efficiency.

The charging speed of the above units was ≈2A (6 cell) and ≈2.5A (8 cell); figures obtained by measuring voltage drop at their internal sense resistor.

Fri, 05/15/2020 - 14:17

Thanks for that info. I soldered everything and didn’t use the spring terminals or any 0f the hardware, and attached the batteries directly to the pcb. The 8x18650 20000mah one has an lcd screen and should have 18000 mah available, buy only gives me maybe 7000mah before showing 0 volts. The other one has 4 18650 and is almost as bad. I may get a couple of these amd try them.

Suffice to say I don't know what faulty power bank boards or kits are you speaking of, but indeed these figures you are speaking of are incredibly lousy.

In any case, let me say I don't make up my efficiency estimations in terms of capacity. I count or estimate the energy (Wh = V × Ah) obtained at the output, and divide it by the energy available at the input. For the former it can be of help to verify the actual output voltage at the USB connectors, as any USB tester (if you are using one to measure output capacity) adds some voltage drop burden even if small. For the latter, testing the cells with some battery discharging device at more or less the average discharge rate the power bank board is going to pull is adequate, taking into account the average cell output voltage at that rate. If the device supports constant power discharge you could use that instead.

If the list is still being updated, i’m interested for 2 :slight_smile:

Interested!

Put me down for one please.

Interested in 1 thanks

I’m interested in one. Thanks.

Oh yeah, we aren’t updating the list anymore.

I should probably get to updating the list.

Anyway, for some news:

I’m currently designing the main high power buck converter receiving the 12V-30V input from the power supply.

Going pretty well now.

Registered to comment that I’m in for one.

I’m interested in one. Thanks!

Interested in one. Thanks!