The Mask Thread

That guy just bugs me.

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan.
I wasn’t overly keen on ‘Gavin & Stacey’ he was in when he became a celeb, wife and daughter love it - though he was good in it, and it was quite funny - I expect you’d need to be British to ‘get it’ humour wise though.

I didn’t even know the guy’s name ’til this vid. A ways back he was all over the place like stink on a monkey, with “carpool” videos where they’d be singing some song. Even then, I wanted to just punch him in the face. No idea why, I just did.

I agree.
The guy is just too full of himself.
I just picked that video because the original had the woman laughing so loud you couldn’t hear the mask making the Wookie sound.
All the Best,
Jeff

And a DYI face shield. Beyond simple.
I expect anyone here could have thought this up if they had a mind to.

Keep Safe,
All the Best,
Jeff

My organization has deployed some masks made from “H600” which is the material a lot of sterile trays are wrapped with. Filters better than N95 standards, seal dependent. Unfortunately on these they used an inadequate nose wire so people are getting poor seals there. If you can get it adjusted to seal well its very effective! I wore it in the attic yesterday and its actually downright restrictive to breath in. Fine for limited use but be wary for longer duration- I had to push the pointed shape in a little as it would flow better and not collapse in on itself as badly. I was also breathing quite heavily as that attic requires some rather… athletic… movements.

LMP - Reusable Protective Silicone Face Mask

Army researchers say this is the best material for a homemade face mask they’ve found so far

Interesting. Of note, the textile that many sterile hospital trays are packaged in (called H600) has been shown to be an even more effective filtering medium than N95 standards. Also of note, this does have a corresponding reduction in air flow during breathing :wink:

For all you seamstresses out there. An engineer made some improvements to the front seam style Craft Passion mask to allow for more free space for filter area.
It also has a bigger dip under the eyes for glasses wearers and has many different sizes for a tighter fit to the face.

The measurements are from the bridge of the nose where your glasses sit to the ear.
And from the bridge of the nose to below the chin.

And here is a video that shows fit test results for some various designs.
About 25 minutes long.

I am seeing less people with masks on in our local area. And many not following the social distancing guidelines.

I think there should be a shirt with mask logo that says:
Your mask protects me.
My mask protects you.
Wear the damn thing or
Keep the hell away from me!

All the Best,
Jeff

They were far from explicit about what that material is. 4 ply microfiber only gets me some eyeglass wipes, and that probably isn’t it since that’s not exactly a common item in the cleaning aisle of a grocery store. If you’ve identified that material, I’d very much appreciate a brand and model name or a link.

These are the surgical type masks.
In stock as of 5/17/2020 - 50 for $30.

I have no knowledge of the mask quality.
There is no N rating, so assume there isn’t one.

The seller Botach, I have purchased stuff from them in the past.
All went OK.
All the Best,
Jeff

Been reading into copper/copper infused masks lately. There seem to be several types, some ion infused (though you have no way of telling if that is true/how much is in it) and some pure copper.
I found a mesh maker in the UK (I know, something made in UK!) and have got some #100 Mesh - 0.204mm Aperture - 0.05mm Wire Diameter - Copper 99.99% - Woven Wire Mesh on the way LINK .
I plan to do a version of the craft passion mask with this on the outside with a fabric back. I will still have a pocket inside for the hepa filter - i may put some mesh inside there too.
Anyone else tried this sort of thing?? Mine won’t be like this (Kuhn Mask) - these are already available form the USA.

Necrobump!

My family received these masks about a week ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KFMGF8Y

My sister works in a hospital in North Carolina.

She said that for N95 masks, a perfect seal is key.

She had to try on six different N95 masks, and they tested each one to see if she had a perfect seal.

Only one of the six works for her face, and her N95 mask is not comfortable.

So...

Instead of trying to get N95 masks (with a perfect seal) for my family in California, I opted for surgical masks.

These are way more comfortable than all of my cotton masks, and they work better, too.

I'm going to use mine until it gets dirty, damaged, or I have trouble breathing.

These masks are made in the U.S., which is nice.

They were the ones with the best feedback on Amazon (that were somewhat affordable.)

It's a 50 pack for about $10, so the pricing is pretty reasonable.

Then one day people learned they could gift fear, worry, shame and every other negative emotion to others, while selling various physical objects that claimed would ‘solve’ these newly-gifted destructive emotional states.

It worked beyond even the most cynical of predictions.

My fingers are cramping…

So ummm… Did, like, any of y’all catch Jeopardy last night?

That could be the omnicron. I hear that’s one of the symptoms.

Who’s on it. anyway? Haven’t seen it since Alex died.

I don’t know. But I imagine Betty and Alex are having a good time right now.

Human beings have a codependent relationship with bullshit.