The post office asked a new question today!

It’s the same if you shop for Lipos on chinese eshops, they will list the limits of what shipping methods can have lipos or other lithium batteries in them and how much Ah or weight? They can be in that package.
I think I saw it on hobbyking when I was buying mine.

Airplanes are even more sick with the regulations.
And even the post limit of lithium batteries is due to planes I think, airmail.
As well as why you can’t buy spray cans and pressured gases cans and have them shipped via airmail.

I don’t know if it is a regulation or airline policy, but I have seen labels that read “Contains lithium batteries do not transport on passenger aircraft”. I’m sure that the idea is to keep air shipments of lithium batteries on freight only aircraft.

What about flying with batteries? Do you guys ever travel with then?

Just Scaru.

Last summer my son flew from Florida back to Qatar with a box of 12 123A primaries with no problems.

I'm not the only one, but yes I do. I have taken li-ions both loose (in a pill bottle) and in a flashlight on planes. Of course that was in my carry on.

i dont think usps will ship from china…

but once china gets it to usps, its not an international delivery. the burden was on china to get them to US safely

What’s more dangerous on a battery without housing?
I have never understand that and if it is a real danger, than no plane should transport them.

Maybe same reason why they have here forbidden onehand-pocketknives but allow to carry a katana…

I once gave away NiMh batteries here.
I notified post office workers, that this includes batteries BUT they are not classified as “dangerous” Li-Ion.
-“What?”

They had not even heard about restriction…

Batteries can be arranged safely for shipping — which is why you’re asked to identify what’s in the package.
Aircraft crashes due to fires, and deaths of the crews, accumulated and eventually led to the precautions.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-14/aircraft-fires-tied-to-lithium-battery-cargo-prompt-new-un-rule.html

At least one of the problems had already been identified several years earlier
http://inhardfocus.com/inhardfocus/2010/5/18/cambridge-university-researchers-identify-cause-for-laptop-c.html

This is another good reason not to buy the cheapest lithium batteries.
There are lots of ways to make them — but some designs go bad eventually.

Haven’t read that before. More reason to charge a little slower.

More reason to care about Lions as hobbies should do with Lipos, get a liposack, charge them in it and store lithiums in a nonflammable area/vault.

But many don’t do it anyway. It can safe your house or life though.

How does some one get started in modifying flashlights. I would like to exchange “aspherical lens “ for standard flat glass ones.other mods as needed. Thanks.

This question doesn’t belong in this thread. Please start a new thread and you will get much better/quicker response.

-Garry