The There Are No Stupid Questions Thread

Same with Amazon Prime. Probably all streaming services.

Yes, I have heard this as well, but guys… don’t forget the title of the thread.

OK, fair enough. Sometimes it’s hard to catch tone from text communication on boards like this. Thanks for the additional background on it.

No worries; I probably should have worded it differently. :beer:

Is there a list of flashlight manufacturers by country available ?
Also, are there any flashlights that have actual lumen output measured as advertised that can be purchased publicly ??
:stuck_out_tongue:

Are you asking about companies or manufacturers? Almost all manufacturers are in China. So that’s pretty simple.

There are some flashlight companies headquartered outside of china, but their lights are still manufactured in China.

The only lights I know actually made outside of China are small specialty makers who do very low production and charge extremely high prices.

I don’t know of any list.

There are lots of lights that are accurately rated lumen wise. This is on a model by model basis, though. The best thing to do is not trust ratings. If there’s a model light that you like, read reviews and see what the actual specs are.

And then add a fat margin because our measuring devices are more inaccurate than we like (but give at least a ballpark indication which is not always the case with manufacturer specs)

I dont really think that. Measuring amp draws plus using a lumen tube or sphere calibrated with a Maukka light gives a pretty good lumen reading. Lumens are still pretty hard to measure, though.

Things like lux are much easier, so reviewers can give pretty accurate throw numbers.

The main thing is don’t get hung up on specs and numbers.

Calibration with maukka’s lights has brought a huge improvement with getting measurements in the same ballpark (not every reviewer has done the maukka calibration though, and they also produce lumen claims), but both for lumen measurement and lux measurements, a correct calibration does not fix spectral errors that are caused by cheap luxmeters and by spectrum-altering diffusers that are widely used, this can introduce errors of up to 15% for throw (to give an idea, a throw claimed to be 400kcd could actually be 340kcd) and with an added diffuser-related error for lumen measurements (my own integrating sphere that I tried to design to have only limited spectral effects, already warms the light up by 500K, and makes calibration-unrelated measurement errors as high as at least 4% depending on the light spectrum of the source), all especially when very cool white light sources are measured, like the White Flats and SBT-90.2.

Remember that CNCman wasn’t looking for accurate specs, just specs that match what we enthusiasts measure.

define: match. what we enthousiasts measure can vary enormously.

Match= If you have a lumen tube or sphere that’s calibrated with one of Maukka’s lights then I think that’s good enough. If it’s a light with a FET driver then the battery will make a difference.

My response was not triggered by “good enough” (I’m sure it is), but by “pretty good” and “pretty accurate” (both is not)

I don’t really know what your talking about, Djozz. You’ve lost me.

I’m just trying to help CNCman understand things a bit better.

Thanks guys for airing that out. About the manufacturers by country, China is all.

That being understood, we can surmise, there is not one flashlight company you can purchase a flashlight
with accurately advertised Lumen output that can be used to calibrate a lumen tube.

This is all I wanted to verify, THANK YOU :+1: :+1:

Nope, every led has a slightly different output at a particular current level. Cree tends to group (bin) leds within a 7% lumen range. So you can take several leds from a single bin and get up to a 7% difference in output. Cree actually only guarantees a particular bin to fall within a 14% range. (I think this is a legal move to make sure they can’t be sued if it’s outside of 7, and sometimes they are due go over 7 due to a huge number of variables)

For instance, if you have a driver that puts out the same current repeatably and you use a particular bin led to produce 300 lumen, a 7% window equals 21 lumen. So you might see 310.5 lm or 289.5 lm. Cree may even allow the 14% window so the output range could be 321 lm to 279 lm. This is assuming 300 lumen is the middle. What if your particular led was actually at the upper or lower end on the bin to begin with. Then the numbers can be even more off.

For calibrating a lumen tube or integrating sphere you want better accuracy. I mean, if you care enough to buy or make an integrating device, why would you rely on a stock light that can vary in output? You really need to have a light that has been measured in a calibrated device. Maukka’s got a multi thousand dollar setup with calibrated reference sources.

If his 2 light combo is too expensive and most of your flashlights are a particular tint, ask him about buying a single light in the tint you would use the most. I bought a single S2+ in cool white as most of my lights are CW, with a few going down to 5000K NW. I dont have anything warmer than that and didn’t need his warmer calibration light. I saved some money.

When it takes you a long time to figure something out, do you feel smart or stupid?

For me, I feel stupid even though I just figured something out.

I feel stupid because it took me so long.

How about you?

I feel nothing, I simply left a state of not understanding. Typical robot.

In your case, maybe your putting too much emphasis on the “time” aspect? Stephen Hawking didn’t figure out black holes overnight. It takes time.

Yep, probably so.

Thanks, now I feel better.

Worse yet, figuring something out for the second time.