Thrunite C2 USB Portable Charger Doesn't Work With Low Current Devices

I emailed them a couple of days ago and got a response yesterday. They told me they will be sending me the updated version in about 20 days. Other than that I have no idea what they fixed in the revised C2. Sorry I don’t have detailed information, but I will report back if and when they send me a new one.

I got my Updated C2 powerbank today, review should be up soon.

So far very impressed by the build quality, charge rate and output capabilities, but the low current auto shut off is yet to be tested.

I’m still waiting on mine. I’ll shoot them an email if I don’t get mine soon.

Looking forward to the results.

Sorry folks, it seems like my review unit has it even worse... at <1A current draw it shuts down after some time, I'm still trying to figure out the time but it seems to be random, I have got from 17 secs to 2min 45secs. Bumping up the current to >1A solves the issue, and strangely if I start my discharge test at higher current and slowly decrease it it won't shut down even down to 0.1A, but does not happen everytime.

Also if I do a fresh cell insertion instead of restarting the output, it seems to shut down faster. Not sure if to continue with the review since it just seems to act so unpredictably and I'm having a headache figuring out whats wrong. I could do the discharge tests at 1.1A and up but I don't see the point of it because this is supposed to be the revised version. I already told thrunite about this, lets see what they have to say.

More testing in progress until I find out what exactly is that causes this behavior, but for now I'm completely perplexed, it doesn't follow a sequence or pattern, I tested under the same conditions over a dozen times and the results are just random.

I think someone should open the two units and compare the PCBs to see if there is any difference at all between the two versions. Shutting down at 1A is just ridiculous.

My replacement C2 came today. It seems to be fixed. Shuts down at around 30 milliamps.

Thanks for the update, thats the same usb tester i’m using just now, it’s the most accurate from a few i bought.

I have several USB testers and I would agree. I still need to do more long term tests, but so far it seems to be fixed. That said, I want to thank Thrunite for sending me a replacement without having to ship the old one back.

I’m interested in one of these. Where can I:

1) Purchase without a cell included (I don’t want Thrunite cheap cell)
2) Purchase directly from Thrunite in an attempt to get the v2 version?

There are not very many single 18650 charger/power bank combos that can output higher than 2.1 amps. Being able to keep one in the car alongside a torch would be awesome.

1. not possible new, maybe if you find someone who sells you a used one
  2. ThruNite C2 3400 mAh Compact Portable Charger - ThruNite Official Store

I sent email to Thrunite asking nicely if they’d sell me a few of the C2 V2 without cells. We’ll see what they say.

My biggest concern is making sure I get one that has been fixed. I might pick up a USB Safety Tester just to make sure, especially when those testers are only $6.

Good luck, I have given up on it after 2 units not able to power low power devices.

Thrunite won’t sell the C2 without a battery. Bummer.

They also clarified the new version has a minimum input charging rate of 120ma

If by “Thrunite cheap” you mean random unknown cell, mine came with an NCR18650B.

Any updates? Anyone having better luck with these?

Hi!
I have prepared a review. It is in Russian. Located here:
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showthread.php?t=35639
Google will help with the translation :slight_smile:

Is it safe to buy the ThruNite C2 Compact Portable Charger now? ThruNite’s homepage does not state anything about a V2 or min current draw… I emailed them 2 weeks ago but the have not answered.

OT: what usb tester is it in the pictures? Is it still one off the “better” in its price category?