TK's Emisar D4 review

Yes, but why even have the option of 4000 lumens? There’s no way you could run it that high on your head. Okay, perhaps some people would use it hand-held, I can understand that.

Definitely - 4000k preferred

With the UI, you would never have to run it that high if you don’t want to. It’s the perfect solution to that concern.

Time to start counting seconds or something… Couldn’t resist any longer, one green D4 Nichia ordered + one green D1 neutral :slight_smile:

WalkIntoTheLight

Maybe THAT’S why they call me a hothead :person_facepalming: :stuck_out_tongue:

I probably should have said right angle flashlight which is really what the Olight H series is. My question to Toykeeper was more to do with the trend toward e-switchs and them being so hard to put in a tail cap. As a defensive tool, it could be hard to find and work an e-switch like the one on the D4 under stress.

If you clip a small light like the H1 NOVA on your shirt or hat (or even coming out of your pocket), it’s easier to orient and work the switch (under stress) because it’s on the very top of the light.

Does that make sense?

I used the D4 as a headlamp exploring a storm drain and it’s not bad. Hard to find a mode where it won’t get too hot I just go a smidgen above max regulated. Even if it gets warm it tames itself in a few minutes. I’d recommend a floodier optic if headlamp use is in your future.

Would you guys consider giving the D4 as a gift (father/brother) because of ridiculousness? Or do you think it’s just too much for people, even with the v2 firmware.

I definitely would consider it. With TK:s thermal control it’s no more dangerous than any other Li-Ion powered light. (Respect for Li-Ion is always needed though.)

I wouldn’t. They don’t use separate battery chargers for these high voltage cells. Only time I get something with the high voltage cells is if the light itself is rechargeable.

I’d probably only gift a D4 to someone else who is sufficiently en”light”ened. I’d still reach for a Convoy of some sort for my family or friends. The thought of my mom using a light that pulls 20amps scares me. My sister(she’s a few years older physically) broke into my flashlight stash when she was helping her husband scrape a wall in the dark side of the basement. I come home to her holding no less than 4 of my lights all on turbo pointed at the wall while her husband is working on it. She said, “This one(green D4 219C) is WAY brighter than the rest, but it burned me and I can only hold it for so long.” Just goes to show that if the brightest mode is there they CAN and WILL use it. :smiling_imp:

I wouldn’t either. This is definitely one light you don’t wont to let anybody use unless they have a good idea of what it is. It’s like lending an expensive sport car to someone who’s never driven one. Chances are high some trouble will happen. Not a good idea IMO.

It probably needs the temperature limit set higher.

One day I came home to find my Blackshadow Terminator tailstanding on high on a table with no one around. It was rather warm, and I shut it off immediately and found the cells at 2.5V. Apparently it had been used to provide better lighting for a video, and then just … forgotten about. :person_facepalming:

When I gift lights, I make sure to only give ones which can tolerate being misused. Unless the recipient already knows how to properly care for high-powered lights and batteries, that is, which isn’t common.

The D1 and D1S would probably be fine, gifted with a charger and a short lesson about when and how to charge the battery. The D4 definitely requires more caution though… it’s a little firestarter.

My concern would be the charger/charging part of it. Everyone I know, except myself, is completely clueless and lazy about charging anything. They will let a rechargeable battery run flat, then leave it that way for weeks/months because they can’t be bothered charging it.

Or, they’ll take an Eneloop out of something and throw it away, forgetting that it’s a rechargeable battery and not an alkaline.

I wouldn’t let them manage lithium-ion cells that aren’t a built-in part of the device.

At the very least, if you get someone a charger and batteries, it has to be dead-simple and extremely safe. They have to be able to stick a battery in it upside down and walk away from it for days. At the very least, protected cells are a must IMO. I mostly don’t use protected batteries, but I don’t throw batteries loose into pocket change or something like that. Others will!

I’m okay with recharging Eneloops while I’m not at home. I’m not at that level of confidence with lithium-ions, even if they’re part of a device like a laptop or smart phone. Maybe I’m too cautious about things like smart phones, but probably not about naked 18650 cells.

I don’t expect good (name-brand) cells would burn the house down. But, if abused enough, they might vent and spread around a lot of nasty chemicals into the air. And s*ty cells might actually burn the house down.

I would be terrified if that happened to me… But that’s because I live alone… and I don’t have a Blackshadow Terminator.
At least it’s better than finding a red balloon in my house for no reason… That would be bad news.

It would be an excellent gift but only for a responsible person who would listen to, comprehend and adhere to what you taught them about, and how to operate the light.

I just got an email from mtn that my d1 had shipped, should have it by thursday can’t wait.

With great power comes [the need for] great responsibility — which is why we’re careful to whom we give these things as gifts.

As we should. Especially with something this powerful and dangerous enough to start a fire. However, we all weren’t born with the knowledge on how to handle these dangerous devices, we learned, as should anyone procuring or receiving one of these deadly little devices. Hey,
That’s a new name for it, or something that should be handled with care. Hey man, check out my new DLD, it’s got 264 XHP 70’s 350 XP - L HI and 250 SST 90 led’s puts out 7800 gazillion lumen and can melt titanium. Haha!

if raising the thermal limit as TK suggested does not work
here are some other ideas…

Im guessing by “default”, you mean the last mode memory
do you know how many lumens your “default” is set to?
If you memorized Turbo, then the ramping down you describe is normal

there IS a default memory reset that sets to about 150 lumens… but if you ramp up higher and turn off, the next time it will be at the higher, last used, ramped brightness

If you last used the light at 1000 or more lumens, it has to ramp down… because it will trigger thermal regulation. The highest level an 18650 light can maintain without ramping down is about 500 lumens.

try this… unscrew tailcap, then screw back down, to reset default memory mode… now when you turn the light on, does it hold or ramp down?

note you can also set to the ~150 lumen level by ramping up from the bottom, to the point where the light does the double blink signal

patmurris wrote:
The only trick i heard of is to unscrew the tail cap to reset the memory to 100% 7135 level.

read this link for more complete details, including how to set thermal regulation