[Unboxing] FIREFLIES E01 21700 Flashlight

Thank you great review and lovely pics too. I’ve had an E01 for a few months now. It’s really cool and unique if maybe hard to categorize. Too big for an EDC (for most), not configured for tactical with no tail switch and the glowing power button. Unique optic throws a nice fat hotspot with narrow spill. UI is really nice, a more simple minded cousin of one of the more scholastic UIs. Beam color is decently neutral but I like warmer. I think good all around hiking/camping, urban areas applications. I live in Phoenix where it gets fairly warm and walk through a poorly lit residential area to walk in the desert or along the canal which are both very dark and populated with critters I’d want to see before I hear. This thing definitely has the range. I was hoping for better heat management but big open spaces for a light that small it soon becomes a hand roaster. I have to keep it fairly low for the duration (bout 45 min) if I want to use for the whole walk and with the narrow beam profile it doesn’t give much confidence in the big dark. I know not necessarily a fair test for something that small but it doesn’t fit my application well so I’m probably looking to sell or trade eventually. My slightly modded (no heat involved B) C8 kills it in my application.

Every E07 I’ve tried to flash has worked after disconnecting the aux LEDs. But I haven’t tried many.

On my E07 dev kit thingy, I added a clicky switch between the aux LEDs and the driver, so I can just click it to break the connection while reflashing. This isn’t really feasible in an assembled light though.

This gives me hope. Thank you!

Well might as well continue the kind of on/off topic convo.

My UCL lens came in for the E07, which leaves a slight bezel gap :frowning: , so I decided yet again to try with a different HQ Prog Key I made (my “better” one I had set up exclusively for D4v2). I de-soldered the aux boad and was able to flash on my first try this time. I used a PL47 firmware with soft reset enabled since this is a Ti/Cu version with no thread lockout.

In case you cant read the tiny print on the PCB here’s a diagram from one of Lexel’s other boards which is set up the same:

Today I assembled a HQ progkey, and it worked flawlessly with the E01.

I backed up the E01 original firmware, and flashed it to a TA driver, to confirm that the backup firmware was working correctly, and it was. Then I flashed the E01 with TK Anduril 2019/09/28 revision.

I do like the E01 original firmware as a practical UI, but I prefer the Anduril customization and modes.

Recommend the E01 as a solid and well built budget all-around flashlight, with sufficient throw/flood combination for my needs, 21700 battery autonomy and now the fantastic Anduril UI.

Congrats Fireflies for the inovative product line. Thanks TK.

How does one “back up” the original firmware to a file? Is that also done via avrdude? If so, what command line to be used?

This is what I’ve used:

read-85.sh

#!/bin/sh
BASE=$1
avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n -Uflash:r:${BASE}.hex:i
avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n -Uflash:r:${BASE}.raw:r
avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n -Ulfuse:r:${BASE}.lf:h
avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n -Uhfuse:r:${BASE}.hf:h
avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -n -Uefuse:r:${BASE}.ef:h

But it’s probably not necessary, since the sources and .hex files are available. Backing up the firmware is typically only useful when something ships with proprietary firmware.

Hi d_t_a.

Sorry about my delay in responding your post.

To backup the E01 original firmware I used avr shell with the command:

avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -u -Uflash:r:flash-dump.hex:i -Ueeprom:r:eeprom-dump.hex:i -Ulfuse:r:lfuse-dump.hex:i -Uhfuse:r:hfuse-dump.hex:i

And to restore the firmware backup:

avrdude -p t85 -c usbasp -u -Uflash:w:flash-dump.hex:a –Ueeprom:w:eeprom-dump.eep:a -Ulfuse:w:lfuse-dump.hex:a -Uhfuse:w:hfuse-dump.0hex:a

It works without any glitches in the first try.

Thanks TK & mozart.f