(Updated July 16) Review/Test: Illumination Supply Direct-Bonded 16mm Copper Star with Cree XM-L2 U2 1C

great job on the testing Relic, that must have been a lot of work. Looks like the DCB stars are more or less equal (at sane currents at least :laughing:, which is great for the modding community. Interesting results with the lapped star - could be that the massive actively cooled heatsink provides such a constant temperature difference that small differences in thermal resistance between star and heatsink arenā€™t that important. I wonder what effect it would have under more thermally challenging conditions?

Thanks for your perseverence, going to the bottom with your tests and find out what really is happening, that is a lot of work!

Thanks everyone. I still have two more threads to start for the other stars (I think itā€™s fair that each product gets itā€™s own thread with a comparison to each). Iā€™ll be doing an update or two here as well when I have more answers to some of the questions and concerns.

btw I just took the U2 1C that I got from IS and moved the emitter from the 16mm board to a Noctigon 20mm, and found the same issue with the solder paste not covering the pad at all.