Walmart Carries Lithium Thrower

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-20047-Ozark-Trail-500-Lumens-CREE-High-Powered-LED-Aluminum-Flashlight/27859983

I am really curious as to what [kind of] battery is in this. Someone needs to buy one, and see. :slight_smile:

i would assume 1 or 2 x 18650

I asked my Uncle to describe the battery and by his description, it sounded like the size of 2x 18650, it is all enclosed into one piece. Maybe it’s an 181300.

From the reviews it sounds like a proprietary Liion battery. When I read through this thread I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention, and didn’t get that from the comments.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-TL10WO-Ozark-Trail-Ultra-Bright-LED-Flashlight-750-Lumens/29341480

I also glanced at the pictures… went back just now and wow. Worth it. Busted up laughing so hard at the photoshop skills. :smiley:

In THEORY, could you not just charge two li-ions in series so long as they’re REALLY well matched? Could also be wired in parallel if it’s a proprietary carrier. The battery for my uncle’s bike light is just a 18650 wrapped in plastic.

Saw this the other day. I took out of the package and played with it. It is a thrower along the lines of the HD2010, but inferior, with less output (output around the level of the Ultra OK Tactical 26650, so 648 lumens). I’d say around 700 lumens being generous. The batteries are 18650s wrapped together. Very thin. Probably unprotected low-capacity cells. Has rings in the beam and the switch is crappy, causing the light to hesitate before coming on, but output is way above store-bought standards.

Well, for the first year I know my friend was charging 2 nitecore 18650’s inside an MH40 thor, using the provided charging cable and charging port on the light. No issues there, the batteries are still fine, and the flashlight is pristine. That’s a whole ’nother level on the price range (and presumably, quality) though.

Thanks for the info!

For $20… sounds ‘okay’.

There’s a very similar looking light at Home Depot for example:

Except it takes D cells….and is rated at 1,000 L

IIRC, it was listed at $29.99

:smiley:

Its also a triple emitter design:

I have not had a chance to test it out other than to turn it on, shine it around and turn it off to be sure it actually lit up, etc.

It did light though, so, that’s a good start. It has a throwy beam as advertised, but the area I was in was not good for evaluating it further. As it has three LED, and only 1,000 L, I’m assuming that if the driver can take it, the LEDs could be pushed a bit harder.

:smiley:

They’re XP-G2’s (they’d have to be to get 1000 ANSI lumens at 1.2A per emitter) on a VERY unique aluminum pad, 1000 lumens out the front is about all you can ask from them. You could drive the emitters to two amps each (6 amps total) and you’re still only at ~1200 otf. I handled one at mein Haus Despot, and I’d say OL’s review was fair, but it’s still a decent light, certainly a better functional value than any Maglite.

I bought one and ended up returning it. I don’t know that much about flashlights (I’ve learned a lot since I purchased it) but as Rusty Joe mentioned there are two batteries within a single sheath. Beam is sloppy, and clicky is awkward on a light this long, as well as the weight distribution. It did have a nice throw but that’s coming from someone who up until then only had a Quark mini 123 and a Surefire E2E with Veleno Designs dropin…

Now if only they’d sell Sky Ray Kings…

Tons of these left in the display at my local Walmart! Not a big seller at all! Looks like only 1 or 2 were sold. And the price is ridiculous now; can't remember if it's up to $40 or $50.

-Garry

IMO, these lights are pure trash that might carry the risk of becoming a potent frag grenade. I saw several of these ripped from their packaging, so I grudgingly decided to take a closer look. Horrible blue/purplish tint emitter, beam has rings and artifacts… and 2 x 18650’s shrink wrapped together in series… no shit! You cant charge the cells separately so they must be charged in series… and we all know what dangers might hide in this ridiculous configuration. Especially given that these are probably extremely poor quality cells. Upon close inspection of the battery pack, I could not detect any form of pcb for protection or a wire running through the jacket to create an internal parallel connection, so it is assumed that the cells are unprotected and are in fact tied together in series for 8.4V. They have 2 entire pallet loads of these stupid things sitting on the floor, and it looks like no one has purchased a single one. I sure hope it stays that way…

I can confirm the batteries in series as well. A buddy of mine on LPF bought one and i told him to return it. Prior to doing so (hasnt returned it yet) he ripped open the battery pack and behold…….FRAG OUT!!! They are in series :Sp

S)
Incredible.

How hard would it have been to use a parallel pack??
Why do this? It charges by usb… so they boost it to charge a series pack? Almost going out of your way to be hazardous.

He removed the the wrap on the pack down to the separate cells?
Didn’t post any thread or pics on LPF, right?

There was an original post of it on LPF but he told me in PM that they were in series. Ill ask him to post a picture but he isnt returning it anymore. i guess he wants to turn it into a laser host

he is getting a photo of them and also he said there was a circuit between the batteries so it was probably to even the charge out but ill post the photos when i get them

Look like cheap ultrafire cells and im not sure if that is circuitry for charging or if thats just like a contact board on each end?

Welcome, Burncycle! Glad to have you.

Yep! If only Skyray was in Walmart! But then, the lights we show off wouldn’t be that special! :-?