What did you eat today?

yes LB< that sounds like a French way, though you might need more butter :smiley:
fold inwards so the seem is at the bottom yours really sound like signature French omelette

SubSailorVet how do you make that sauce?

Some prefer to eat what they kill.

Perfecto! That’s how I scramble eggs. Start with lots of real butter, add eggs and cook as you describe. Good stuff.

Homemade hollandaise is actually very easy.

4 egg yolks
1 stick of butter salted or unsalted, don’t matter. You gently melted over low heat and clarified part set aside. (You can use a turkey baster or carefully pour from pot used to melt)
1/2 lemon
Cayenne pepper
Fine wire whisk

Setup a double boiler with a copper mixer if possible. (Eggs react and cook better in copper)
Bring the water to a good simmer not a rolling boil. Temperature is important. Don’t get mixer bowl too hot or eggs will curdle.

Put yolks in cool mixer, place over simmering water and whisk briskly.
After eggs are whisked well, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cold water, the water helps emulsify the eggs so they cook and don’t separate. Whisking constantly while over simmering water, remove occasionally to ensure not over heating. You can tell the eggs are cooking by their thickness and color. When they are thick and turned a nice yellow very slowly add the clarified butter while whisking. Add a little at a time whisking until the mix is smooth and coats the back of a spoon. You may not use all of the clarified butter you melted, it also won’t kill it if you get some of the separated butterfat in the eggs, it will add some flavor and salt if you use salted butter. Turn off the heat to simmering water and use to keep sauce warm. Gently squeeze lemon to taste while whisking as well as cayenne pepper a pinch will do.
Voila! You’ve made homemade hollandaise. If you get it right on the first time trying you are lucky and have skills. HaHa!
See if there’s any YouTube vids on hollandaise. Watch a few so you get the idea. You’ll be making it like a master chef in no time. And chicks dig a dude that can make the mother sauces from scratch. Good luck!

Don’t think that lion is willing to share giraffe ass with that dude. Just sayin’… Lol!

Interesting
Gonna check it out, got to be able to make Hollandaise, being from The Netherlands(Holland) :smiley:
now what to eat it on it the next thing, cool!
Aha, from wikipedia: The key to the recipe is to heat the ingredients without curdling the egg
Hmm don’t like that double boiler thing, seems a lot of fuss.

Hey Bearnaise, also not made before, good with meat

Nice I am stinking up the kitchen seasoning two new cast iron grill things (a small square one with integrated handle where two steaks fit and a larger plate that could be used to make 5 big steaks at once.

I think I’ll go for
Hollandaise sauce for something for my wife (veggies)
twist it a little after with some herbs to bring it closer to Bearnaise and make some grilled patties of beef, onion, garlic and parsley.
report back on this later tonight!

SubSailorVet thanks for the inspiration!
After thinking about it I thought the two main problems for the process is separation and egg that goes too hit fast and thus not making a sauce but an omelette.
So I tried it different.
I dumped all the ingredients (egg yolk, diced butter, lemon (I used big limes) juice, salt, pepper, Cayenne ) in a big stainless steel bowl.
I placed it so that the flames of on the stove on low only touched half of the bowl, it slightly tilted, fire under the higher part.
With a whisk I beated it over the warm area and after a few minutes it was done.
Yes very nice, I don’t like mayonnaise but this has the same consistency but tasted much better.
I added a little tetragon bit it didn’t needed it.
To test I just made steamed carrots and grilled carrots to further season the cast iron grill plate.
And some rice (Basmati 500gr, rinsed, in pan with 750ml water, two star of anis, four crushed cardamon, salt and pepper, birngtto boil, then 8 minutes later done and fluffy.)

We had some spicy veggies left over from yesterday so a complete and good meal.

Gonna try Bearnaise tomorrow with some nice beef/onion/garlic/parsley grilled on the plate, fatty meat, ideal for further seasoning of it)

So cool, I really try to avoid egg yolks normally and these Hollandaise things seemed like so Mich work, lol it is easy and super fast, with out you ibhad not tried it! Thanks!

For lunch with a couple of friends, meatballs and spaghetti with garlic bread and a salad from a local Italian joint

Breakfast was home-cured and smoked bacon with eggs, over easy and biscuits fresh from the oven. Dinner will be a Copper River sockeye filet cooked in my smoker and seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raging River seasoning, served with brown rice and black beans.

some local Italian joints can be so good!
I remember we were heading home one day, while living in Amsterdam, close to home it was time for a toilet break so we entered an Italian restaurant and ordered something to drink.
Just talking with each other, glancing at the menu, the were some mushroom we never seen before named. So I say to my wife “probably some Italian version of the white mushrooms we use a lot” and the owner of the place jumped up, “no no no, this is a totally different, wait”, so he runs to the kitchen and returns with a plate with all sorts of mushrooms including truffle, all cooked to perfection (except the truffle)
We had to taste them all and were dared to repeat it… heheh
needless to say we went there very often afterwards.

I’m glad it worked out for you. Once you do it, it is fast and easy. Bernaise is just hollandaise with a bit of tarragon. You cook the tarragon in a little white wine and maybe chopped shallots. Cook that down and keep the liquid after removing the tarragon to add to your hollandaise. Chop the cooked tarragon and remove any stems (if you use fresh tarragon which is way better than dry canned version) Just mix the chopped tarragon and some of the wine used to simmer the herb in with a whisk and you have bernaise. Your menu sounds excellent, good choice of food to enjoy the sauces. I’m glad I could inspire you to be creative. Go for it and eat well man!

Lately I’ve been enjoying something simple: canned Moroccan sardines in olive oil on saltine crackers with sliced jalapeños. Love the kick of jalapeños with an appetite for something more.

When I was in the Navy, I/we would eat canned stinky fish when experiencing rough seas and taking heavy rolls. This was done to torture the guys who got seasick. It didn’t take much smelly canned fish to get them puking their guts out. This sounds horrible but it was all part of initiation into the most elite seagoing men in the world. I got seasick once, just once on my first patrol. It was the most awful feeling and I prayed for a quick death to release me from the torturous vomiting, nausea, head spinning and my shipmates laughing at me. I told myself I would never experience that again. I suppose I hypnotized myself, cause I never got seasick again. Sorry for hijacking your post and ranted an old sea story. Lol! Reading about canned stinky fish brought back that memory.

Picked chayote and artichoke de Jerusalem leaves (5 each, they are big), the leave stems of a couple of zucchini leaves.
Baked mushroom till almost done added the chopped leaves and finely chopped stems finished it right before serving.

Used the rice from yesterday, made balls sprinkled some cheese and used oven to get them to temp.

Ground beef, very fine chopped onion and garlic (no core) salt paper, Cayenne, that was it.
Made small patties and grilles.

Tried Bearnaise. But some issues, no fresh herbs or shalot only dried, no white wine vinegar, only a too strong cidre or red vinegars.
No white wine, so used a rose.
Cup vinegar, cup wine, 3 table spoon tetragon, 2 table spoon chervil, 2 table spoon shallot, salt paper grains, boil till very little liquid remainded.
Pressed through zif
(Warm herbs and some butter and garlic made a very good herb butter)
Egg, butter, salt, Cayenne, the redused wine/vinegar/herb extract
In bowl, whisk, very creamy already very good.
But too sour and pungy
Gonna try this again. Already nice and with proper ingredients can only be better

The egg white, whipped with a little sugar and lemon zest in oven, nice desert.

This is indeed a way of sauce I was not familiar with, but like and it is not that hard to make, nice!

Oh edit, wine used was
chateau merlet bordeaux 2014
Drank it during the meal.

You did good except for the vinegar. That’s what made it sour. That Bordeaux sounds great. I haven’t had a drink since July 3, 2010. I sometimes miss a good red wine, a very old cognac with a Cuban cigar, top shelf polish potato vodka, and a very cold IPA.

Nice!
I have a selection of good alcohol free wines, our son loves it.
Tried to get it out myself but it is hard to make a wine taste good when home distilling out the alcohol. Gonna be a winter project to get that done.
For food preparation, I usually reduce wines by 20 to 30% to get rid of alcohol and only integrate the wine flavors, not alcohol flavors.

When we have guests a course is a. Ig plank of cheese. Paired with some bits fitting the meal.
Now your basic cheese plateau is
Hard cow, neutral or old
Soft white rim cow, neutral or strong
For us local soft goat
A blue strong or mellow (usually sheep)

I play with this, for example get a wheel of brie, neutral, slice inbhalf (so two flat rounds)
Then add herbs, different herb mixes on each quarter and for four days I can present four totally different brie like cheese.
And so I can keep this course interesting when guests are here longer time.

But today I wanted to test something, the creamy white rimmed cheese is a very nice foundation to pile flavors and such upon

I cut one in half
Pressed dried grandberries on one half and slightly crushed nuts on the other and placed the half’s back
Covered it in dough, a few poppy seeds and brushed egg on the visible dough and in the oven
Very interesting and very good
Yes happy, I can add another day in cooking for guests :wink:

We ate it with some simple tuse and stirred veggies, a little onion, garlic, rice vinegar, Worcester sauce, salt, pepper and for some kick Dill
Easy and good, the focus was the cheese, served with some cruchy chips.

I got myself a simple Affligem blond beer.

And YAY scored some nice white wine 2016 and a few 2009 , thosebcan be interesting, I might open one tomorrow, taste and reduce to keep in half cup portions in the freezer if it is good, complex and full of flavor :slight_smile:
If not I will make vinegar out of it :slight_smile: so win win!

I had slow cook oatmeal with bananas topped with brown suger this morning for breakfast. Not sure what I’m eating for dinner tonight.

Oh wow that sounds good!
Gotta whip out the slowcooker and make something like that as desert foundation soon!

Oh gosh I totally forgot
I used a decent Coulommier
Usually bigger then Camembert and smaller then Brie
Both Brie and Camembert are often too neutral or too strong.
Coulommier usually had more flavor then neutral Brie/Camembert without being stinky

The size makes covering in dough easy and it is enough for a lot of people.

Wow.

I was hungry, all I had was a egg, so had simplicity itself: cast-iron skillet, bit o’ butter, get it nice and hot, drop the egg into it and give it a flip. Drizzle some of the now “browning” butter on a slice of buttermilk bread, plop the egg on top on one half of the slice, salt’n’pepper it, notch the bread and fold it over into a half-sandwich, and yum!

Just enough chewiness and even crispiness around the edges, tender in the middle, ate around the periphery of just where the white was, then saved that last mouthful with the still tender yolk to savor its yolky goodness.

Damn, that was good…