What did you eat today?

Sounds good LB!

We had a couple of just right avocados
That means guacamole
Hmm I wanted to play with white beans kind of dull on their own and so this is what I made

side dish 1 white beans in tomato sauce
little oil and butter, when butter was about to brown, a hand full of crudely chopped sage, after a minute removed sage
Added salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, smoked paprika, 1 finely chopped onion. Let is glaze while finely chopping some garlic
Added half a liter of ziffed, minced tomatoes (bought) and the white beans and the sage, two bay leaves
when simmering, I feared it would go to fast, so placed the pan in a bigger pan with some boiling water.

Side dish 2 pancakes
2 cups corn flour
half a cup fine wheat flour
1 egg
2 cups of water
salt
pepper
cayenne
paprika powder
thin pancakes baked with touching the pan with butter in between

Side dish 3 guacamole
avocado
lemon juice
salt pepper
cayenne
paprika powder
smoked paprika powder
parsley
onion and garlic, chopped to a paste

And well no main dish, this was enough.

Wanted something in theme, so desert, pancakes
salt pepper
egg
1 cup milk
1 cup wheat flour
baking powder
firm feta cheese, crumbled
And to make it be in theme, with the guacamole I took a sweet corn, but off the kernels and added that to the batter.
thick small pancakes, in itself a treat, gonna try raisins or grand berries instead of corn next time, makes it more versatile

Served with
honey/butter/thyme mix
(butter heated till almost becoming liquid, turn off stove, stir in about twice as much honey, a few table spoons of thyme sifted so it was powder. Keep in fridge)

For some reason, I can’t make guacomole to save my life. Avocado, salt, lime are the base ingredients, sometimes I’ll add hot sauce, salsa, anything to liven it up some, nope, always bland or… meh.

Roughly speaking
ripe avocado is key, too hard and no flavor of richness
I generally use per avocado:
juice of half a lemon, freshly squeezed
half an onion, grated to a pulp or chopped till very very small
1 glove of garlic (without sprout core!) same treatment as onion
salt
pepper

it almost always needs extra salt
very good additions are
pepper, fresh cut in very small pieces
smoked paprika powder
cayenne powder
tomato chopped into very small pieces
bell pepper, chopped into medium 2mm x 2mm pieces

So it is all raw, except the powders

When I make a lot, 10 or more avocado I split it and do one with bell pepper/tomato/smoked paprika
the other with pepper and some hot sauce

Yep. If anything, I tend to wait too long, ’til half of it is brown. :smiley:

(Yeah, I get rid of the brown parts.)

Holy Cats! That’s a lot! :smiley:

The onion’n’garlic sounds good. Never did that before.

Yep, what he said. That’s a good guacamole recipe, cept for the bell pepper, but that’s just my taste. Avacado ripeness is key, and use fresh onion, garlic and jalapeño if you want jalapeño. Don’t use that powdered onion and garlic shit. Only Amatuer savages cook with powdered garlic and onion. No offense to you Amatuer savages…. I’ve used finely chopped sun dried tomato in place of fresh tomato. Gives a nice tartness and intense tomato flavor.

Your profile says you’re in France? I’m sure you eat very well there. And get the best cheese in the world also. I remember the chilled seafood tower and excellent cheese platter in a small seaside cafe in Brest, France back in 1984. The seafood was all caught that morning, fresh oysters, mussels, langostine, lobster, shrimp, can’t remember what all else was on that that beautiful tower of fish. Myself and two shipmates went to a bar and the lovely French women we met were very interested in “getting to know” the “Handsome American sailors” that came off that big beautiful submarine flying the American flag that was tied up to the pier in their nice little town. The redhead I hooked up with said she didnt speak English, but she was yelling Oh God, Oh God for several hours later that evening. I had a nice time in France. Ate some good fish and smelled like fish the next day. Lol!

Went to Costco today.

.-- .. - .... / -- .- -.-- --- / .-.. --- .-..

I thought I wrote Maypo lol

Never had theirs, but Stop’n’Shop has good roasted chicken.

You want your mayo?

It’s great, and only cost $4.99. I get one every time I go to Costco

I was wondering why the hell does this dude want mayo? Ha!!!

Sausage, scrambled eggs and pancake with a glass of milk

They have them at SAMs Club and Wally World for $4.99 as well. Not bad, especially when nobody wants to cook.

My mom used to make it for me when I was a kid in the 50’s. I haven’t had it since then. I’d love to try it again.

Same here. I like mayo, but…

Oven-gold turkey, BH ham, potato-bread, and “French” dressing (mayo+katchup).

Sounds good!

Today the mailman brought me smokes salt. Wowsers a good mill with good closing lid is key here or the smoke scent will penetrate everything.
So I wanted to use it of course

Hmm I have all the brass gas distributors off to get them back to shiney new state.
No stove to use.

OK
I cut a butternotch squash in 3 pieces, little oil, little salt, at the lowest oven position.
And turned it on.

Made cheat dough
+/-3 cups full grain spelt flour
1 cup water
A tablespoon of sesame and poppy seeds.
Smoked salt, black pepper, dried basil, pinch of cayenne, some baking powder
Rolled out in oven

Had a little of white beans and tomato sauce from yesterday, removed the white beans, they are for the chickens
Added some spices. Freshly fine cut sage and Basil

Got the dough out of the oven, flipped it
Smeared the tomato stuff with the herbs and spices on it
Finely sliced mushroom and onion
A little ground parmesan
A little smoked salt and black pepper
A little ground down neutral cheese, and some more ground parmesa
20mins later pizza!

And wow that smoked salt it cool! Gives depth for sure!

Ah and the squash is ready for processing tomorrow :wink:

(BTW I like dried garlic powder sometimes, it is just tricky for between taste and serving it can change the flavor
Same as smoked paprika powder, but that is more stable and so much easier then having to go through the process of processing bell peppers to use for cooking.
I do prefer fresh garlic but for some sauces the powder can be useful.
Lots of time I like to use both dried and fresh, mostly when I use fresh herbs I add some dried as well, drying gives another flavor and scent so it is cool to haven’t both in the end result :wink:
IMHO :slight_smile: )

Sounds good, except for the parmesan. :smiley:

To me, parmesan just stinks like cat-mouth.

Not a fan of stinky cheeses in general.

Bacon , babyyyy…
There ain’t nothing better :smiling_imp:

heheh

Since I plan on making butternut squash soup tonight I popped in the baker to get some bread (I cannot make it like they can, it is like a cloud wrapped in a thin crunchy crust) and got some croissants as well.
So had traditional French breakfast, hot coffee, dip the frsh croissant in 1 cm, bit off the dipped part and a little of the crunchy part behind it. The hot coffee melts the butter, so it is so simple, yet crunchy, rich, buttery, very very nice!
My son does it with hot cocoa
We really enjoy this, don’t do it often.