What did you mod today?

THAT LOOKS AMA-F*IN-MAZING!!! :heart_eyes:

Great great great mod!! :person_with_crown:
Did I say I’m salivating? :stuck_out_tongue:

In for one. :slight_smile:

I apologize for the curve of English, this is not my native language ….

I bought a Convoy M21A host from Simon, found a standard C8 reflector in it, and decided to install Cree XHP50.2 4000K 80 CRI from KD to experiment with it. To install the reflector from Warsun CT9T, a new stainless steel bezel was machined.
Which is 8.5 mm longer than the standard.

Participated in the comparison, from left to right

Convoy M21A @ Cree XHP50.2 4000K 80 CRI + H1A resistor mod driver @ 10A
Host Sofirn C8 for 20 mm driver @ Cree XHP50.2 CW + H1A resistor mod driver @ 10A
Ultrafire F13 + reflector LuckySun D80 + Cree XM-L2 U2-3D

1. In the photo on the left is the Convoy M21A with a new bezel, on the right is the C8 host from Sofirn under the 20 mm driver.

2-3. the components of the flashlights are laid out for comparison in the photo.

4. Hot spots are shot with a covered aperture and shutter speed. In reality, the hot spots M21A and D80 are comparable in size. Due to the lower depth of the reflector, the filling zone D80 is wider than that of the reflector from ST9T.

5. Due to the fact that the modes did not work to equalize the drivers, it turned out what happened …
In real life, everything looks completely different …

6. Replaced the direct-click button with the back-click button. Plus spring from BlueSwordM ©

Nice work John, innovative stylish And functional!

I got to thinking about White Flats yesterday afternoon, decided to rebuild an old light using one of these small dies. Turned into more work than expected (of course!). Some time back I mated the 3 cell tube of a Courui D01 to the oddly hybrid Ledil Seanna optic using an XPL HI. So this was my target light.

I machined additional heat sinking to mate up with the Courui threaded emitter shelf and screwed down a 26mm copper MCPCB for the White Flat. Running 3x30Q cells in parallel the new build hit 841.5Kcd for 1.14 miles throw! Pretty dang neat!

Will try to get more numbers on it later today…

I made my battery charging adapter ready to work. I had problems with the 26650 batteries. They were popping out the charging bay. Now i have no problems anymore. And if a new battery size comes up i can get me some cheap holders and connect them with XT30 plugs.
To make them look more pretty i will wrap them in heatshrink. But it is still on the way from china.
The brass parts were ordered from kiriba-ru (on the pic are a few parts more for other projects.

I replaced the 6A 4 mode driver in a Convoy M21A 5000K with a 20mm - MTN-20DDm FET + 7135 Driver. Flashlight is noticeably brighter. I used the 1.2 mm version of the driver with Bistro.

Got to looking at my Q8. I had modded it with XP-L2’s for my Dad, not really keen on the beam profile of those.

So now, after some tinkering yesterday morning, it makes 3380 lumens with 237.75Kcd throw. Roughly 1000M from the soup can quad (I put White Flats in it) :smiley:

Using just one battery to limit current?

Oh no, all 4 Samsung 30Q’s and bypassed springs.

Edit: Did think about changing to 22ga leads but stayed with the 18ga I already had in it. :wink:

Hmm, you should re-measure with 2 batteries. I bet the throw doesn’t change. You very easily could be driving it into the downward part of the output.

Isn’t the sweet spot for the White around 7A?

1mm²? Not more than 5A if you want every single lumen out of it, even tho i would not go over 4.5, the gain is negligible.

Djozz tested sweet spot at 7.5A

I removed the tail pcb with bypasses and put in a factory pcb with dual springs. Still shows 3360 lumens. I removed 2 of the 30Q cells, shows 3180 lumens.

3 of the 30Q’s show 3250 lumens.

A single cell does 2560 lumens.

So I need hotter cells.

Djozz tested the White Flat up to 1500 lumens, if I am only seeing 3380 out of 4 then each one is only making 845 lumens, which imply I am far from giving each emitter 7.5A.

I am talking about the 1mm² led, if you use the 2mm² led than 7.5A its just fine but then again from your lumen output you are 100% using the 1mm² led which according to Djozz graph caps out at 5A with sweet spot at about 4,5A

Charging 4 new Samsung 25R (S?), we’ll see what happens.

There are three versions now. Would be something like this I think, but correct me if i’m worng:

3030 footprint 1mm2 = ~5A
3030 footprint 2mm2 = ~7.5A
4040 footprint 1mm2 = ~6A

Before you do verify which you have purchased or you might be lighting $20 on fire :frowning: