What is the "Best" way to dedome a led ?

Ok, so crappy code will not take images…
Crap torch stripped
Led. Above or below ring ?

hmm i seem to remember people having difficulty de-doming the XR-E emitters…

I ripped mine off with pliers in an old C8 and the hotspot was painfully small. You don’t need to soak that in anything, just grab and twist. Might end up regretting it though, also ur pill is completely hollow so not the best for modding.

Wish had got the 1A bin now. Oh well I don’t even notice the tint until I fire up the big light right next to it. That is a really cool white flood though.

Good information on the bins Tom… For some reason I thought the 1D was better (xd I know), but now that I read the chart on cree, it’s worse for dedome than both 1A and 0D. Nice to know Vinhs lights are choob too. I thought he was supposed to be the booty buster of modded lights.

vinh is human, like the rest of us Smile, he's not perfect on every mod. He doesn't do much in budget light mods lately - budget lights take the most time and effort for the least pay back, and he freely admits he's making money at this, he's not a hobbyist. In the past, he would be short parts and use what was on-hand, but also, the customer could have requested it that way too -- never sure of the whole story. If his high end lights modded sound like a price you'd pay retail, it's because he's a reseller now on a few brands, not all, and getting wholesale pricing - that's why he does the lights in larger batch's - economy of scale. Also, he basically partners up with other retailers to get good qty discounting - not huge I'm sure, but helps.

I use 1A's almost exclusively for dedoming because readily available in the highest bin of U2. T6 0D's used to be available, but you drop a full bin.

For best throw, you may want to consider XP-G2 and XP-E2's: XP-G2's for higher amps, XP-E2's for limited amps, up to about 2.5A. XP-E2's dedomed are the most proficient for running at the same amps, but since you can run XP-G2's and XM-L2's at higher amps, you will get more throw from those if able to do the high amps.

I like XM-L2's in zoomies because I want lots of light in flood mode, but if I'm targeting throw more, then XP-G2's at 4A or so. I find it hard to get much higher amps out of an XP-G2 on one cell because of it's higher Vf demand - higher than XM-L2's. There's all these trade-offs to consider, depending on what you want and what you have to work with Smile.

Also Vinh left his engineering job to start full time modding. So he is trying to make a living from it as well.

I’ll order a XP-G2 and try it

I’d recommend just leavin the lens on that XR-E and if you want more throw put in one of the XP series emitters dedomed. Dedoming doesn’t offer much to gain on those old things, you can’t overdrive them (but don’t forget they’re designed specifically for throw in the first place, cree calls their dome a lens). Honestly there’s nothing they do best anymore, they offer no advanteges over a modern gen2 emitter.

this is my method:

I dont actually care about getting a heap more throw out of the light…this is just for practice… if I get a little bit more. Bonus… just want to see any flaws before I go messing with more expensive ones.

Personally I dislike dedomed emitters. If they stayed the same tint then I’d be all over it. I’m a fan of cold white emitters though.

Up until last night I had never intentionally dedomed an LED before. I read this post and thought I'd give gasoline dedoming a shot as I need a dedomed LED for a thrower project. I was going to take photos but it's been done to death. I was worried I'd screw it up but this is what I did:

1. Took an old sauce jar, washed it spotless and drilled two holes in the lid.
  2. I filled it half way with regular pump petrol (91 here in Aus) that I use in my mower.
  3. I threaded picture hanging wire through the two holes I drilled in the lid.
  4. I then wrapped the wire around the noctigon in such a way that when the lid was screwed onto the jar, the MCPCB hung upside down in the petrol.
  5. Put the lid on and went to bed.
  6. I woke up this morning (7hrs elapsed) and the dome was still on. I unscrewed the lid and in the process of lifting the MCPCB out of the gas, the dome just disappeared.

Absolutely clean and perfect dedome. If you have the time I think this is a MUCH less risky method than anything involving hand eye coordination and a knife.

- Matt

+1 Matt. I just lay the MCPCB's on the bottom of a shallow glass jar, and tighten the lid to reduce the smell. You can see through the glass when the domes start loosening up - usually what looks like air bubbles form in the dome first. I've done it for 2 hrs or 2 days - doesn't seem to harm anything for long periods.

Never even though of just sitting the MCPCB on the bottom of the jar. Would have taken a lot less fuel lol. Plus not having to drill the lid or use wire. I suppose in my head (it was late when I went to bed) I figured hanging it upside down would result in me never having to touch the dome at all. Worked out that way but it came off so easily that a pair of tweezers to 'shake' the dome loose probably would have worked as well.

Easier to get it out without touching o draining the petrol at least. Slightly less petrol scented hand creme.

What are people doing with old used petrol after a number of de-domes have been performed?

Like an idiot I dumped it all after one dedome. Not my brightest move. I imagine one batch would be good for quite a few dedomes.

I definitely would not be putting it back in your car or other combustion engines.

I threw mine into the degreasing bath next to the bench I was working on … But you could always just light it, store it… or throw it out…

Going to try thinners tonight, have a glass jar with 2x lids so will drill holes in one to suspend the led (as its still attached and I could not be bothered desoldering just to resolder tomorrow…)
Then tomorrow I will put the lid without the holes on the jar and put it away until I need it next.
Good little jars from a kantong sweet and sour sauce :wink: Short and fairly wide.

Better solution… wrap rag around a stick… soak it… make two torches with the one process!!

I used chicken tonight lol. A bit big for my needs. I probably threw out enough to fill my leaf blower :(