What is the "Best" way to dedome a led ?

Even in a closed jar, the gas will evaporate and gets darker in color. Not so much how many dedomes, but how long it's sitting around. There's so little left at that time, I dump it on the weeds in the driveway. I've done 3-4 at a time max in the jar, and use long SS tweezers to get them out - no prob really.

> Going to try thinners tonight

What chemicals other than gasoline will work?

I use thinner, wait 2 hours then the rest of the dome flooting around in there.

Today is my first attempt to dedome (and second too :slight_smile: ), I dedomed 2 of xml LED. I have 2 malfunction LED on my hand (one shorted, one nil connection) so I use them as practice target.

I came across(here) dedoming using thinner, so happen to me it in my storage. Saw comment about it for 2 hours, but I was impatient thus shake/move and take up to see time to time. About an hour you can pluck it off, but I think its better for it to leave it atleast 2 hours.

Result: 2 Malfunction LED —-> 2 Dead LED (Broken bondwire)
I’m not sure is it my problem since I move them alot before 2 hours, but definitely the bond wire is broken before dedome (thus malfunction).
Phospor is quite much undisturb, is nice shape.

Conclusion: My first attempt dedome is quite pleasant, will try do it with thinner again with longer soaking period when I got some light project or extra LED hanging around :wink:

I tried touching the bond wire root, which lit up the LED :slight_smile: (which been months before their last illuminate)

So anyone had any idea how to repair the connection ? (The bond wire couldn’t be use anymore) it is such a waste to throw them anyway. (for me :stuck_out_tongue: )

I just dedomed an xm-l2 by submerging it in straight toluene,poked it with tweezers after 45min and the silicone slid straight off no problems

I have never broken a bond wire on an XP-L, but I also have not successfully dedomed anything else.

My latest try was an XPG2. It sat in gasoline for roughly 30 hrs with no change, so I lifted it out to look at it and the dome kind of slid to the side and was hanging by just 1 corner. I lightly pulled it off and thought everything was fine. Then, 2 days later, I put it in my light and nothing happens. Staring at it with my bare eyes the bond wires look fine, but a different led in the same light works perfectly. I must have killed this one too.

Coleman fuel works. Insert it in the fuel, wait 12 hours, then remove and push off the dome with the side of a toothpick. Rinse it in alcohol to remove any excess fuel.

When removing a dome always push it off in the direction of the bondwires. Never push any other direction.

To inspect the completed dedome, try magnifying it under an aspheric lens from a zoom flashlight. This gives you a much better view than with bare eyes.

I dedomed my 2nd XM-L2 led successfully,i repeated the same procedure soaking it in straight Toluene for 45min until the silicone was swollen,poked it with fine tweezers while submerged to see if it had detached and the bead basically slid right off.both these LEDs were well used and came from the same light so i don’t know if that had anything to do with them coming off quicker/easier,beginners luck i guess.
It certainly gives them quite a bit more throw but the colour change is pretty drastic,i put one in a small 14500 torch with a 17mm reflector to test it out and to my surprise light is completely yellow,same colour as the U3 emitters themselves,i thought the toluene might have damaged the coating on the emitter,its certainly not the change in colour i was expecting.
Having so much throw from such a tiny light is pretty awesome,drawing 900ma it shines halfway down my street,the torch i tested it in is only 2cm dia x 10.5cm long.

I’ve dedomed a number of LED’s by accident, usually by trying to use an optic without an optic holder (the optic slid sideways). In every case the LED still worked normally.

Is it OK if I drop the complete S2+ pill into gas? Or is it better to desolder the wires and drown just the led?

Subscribed.

Thanks everyone for sharing your methods and quirks.

I will try my first in white gas

Hmmm. Silicone dome, possibly silicone-coated wires connecting driver and LED. Don’t think I’d try it.

[quote=Lightbringer]

That's pretty sound advice.

I agree.

Bugger. Got some 1A XP-G2s on the way for dedoming.

Was gonna try some MEK on at least one. No idea if AcMe or EtOAc would work on silicone (that’d be too easy).

The best option is to use solvents or heat it fully. If you want to know more details please contact us, as we are leading LED dealers.