What LED tint do you prefer?

SPAMBOT thank you for your opinion. If I resume you correctly:

with XP-(E,G) series at higher currents you have experienced noticeably lowering of ordinate (Cy) in a wavelength coordinate graph. In a words this would mean a shift from green/yellow towards purple/red. Good to know when you have more options to choose from.

It would be fine if we can do this check also for old XR-Es and newest XM-Ls. It's difficult, I know.....

Anyway I'll try to resume results of this poll when it reaches count around 100 taking in account your opinions. So please tell it if you have any experience!

That is exactly what I tried to say, thanks for putting it in words : )

I dunno, but perhaps also a slight increase in Cx coordinate as well, can't be sure of this though.

I knew about tint shift before. But I did not know the specifics of it. It will definitely play a role when I select tints for mods in the future.

How come youre all getting into tints to such degree? Im no indifferent to tints and color temperature but i would never dream of making integral calculation out of it. I bet some must be photographic enthusiasts or pro's in search for the perfect tint or another specific need.

Or it is just another flashaholic deviation branch?!?

I like mirror finish SS looks!

To each its own fetish. :)

the Eastward YJ J09 4 mode that I keep raving about how good the tint is,,Is very different on the 2 low's . I have the 4 mode which is low.. and then low again ..medium ..and high .. both lows are softly pinkish and not a great color at all ..as to what bin it is ? I have no idea . .I think it's is one of the odd ones ..a xpe r3..??it's a big shift from pink to soft white /yellow. usually they go the opposite direction going from white to rosey/pink /purple when driven hard .

Yes, what can I say? I'm also a "steel snob" when it comes to knives I simply like nice things, budget and non-budget alike.

Yes, what can I say? I'm also a "steel snob" when it comes to knives I simply like nice things, budget and non-budget alike.

If so, point me to a stylish not starwars designed folding kife whiz good blade. Cheap possibly. China is good for SS.

Hi everyone!

Don't want to intrude this thread but I thought my question might fits in:

Most of my LED lights have a cool white tint (or so I'm told, really don't know much about how to tell tint numbers and such) and outdoors when there is just the slightest haze a significant amount of the light is reflected thus making it difficult to see anything behind the "white wall". I have read that warmer tints show this problem to a lesser degree and I have two older lights with Luxeon emitters that do a little better (but are much dimmer to begin with, so nothing won).

How is your experience with that problem

and

is there a "best" tint for all-weather outdoor use?

Regards, Huny

Cool White (around 6000K - exampl. 1D - 2C / WD, WH)

Blue light is known to cause more glare, white LEDs are based on a blue die and thus converting more of that blue light into other colors would serve to reduce the glare. Since neutral and warm LEDs use more phosphor they also convert more of the blue light into other colors and would in theory cause less glare.

Optimum tint depends on where you are going to use it, a nice white 5500-6000K is fine in an urban environment while I prefer a 4500-5000K tint in the woods. The warmer light makes the forest look less flat gray and more like it does in daytime. Anything less than 4000K and all the pines will look yellow and sick. (in other words 3-4AD would be nice outdoors, but that is only based on my taste).

Thanks for your reply, spambot! I live on an island in Mälaren and it can get quite foggy here, thus my interest. I have now some neutral XP-Gs ("4B") from KD on the way following your earlier comments here in this thread and will test/compare when they arrive.

Who carry fancy warm white emitters? Preferably Q5 or R5 versions, also MCE?

Spyderco Delica w/full flat grind, VG10 or ZDP-189, very nice EDC knife, back lock, $$. SRM 763 GB, black G10 handle, not the best steel, blade is a bit soft, but OK (similar to 440C and AUS8), keep in mind that a good tempering is also equally important as a good steel, nice axis lock, $, a bit laser sword-ish though.

Cutter does, but you'd have to order many in order to justify the shipping costs. Kai has some neutrals, dunno about warm ones.

i prefer warm white, but not all occasio fit warm white

I voted for cool white around 6000K.

No reason to make leds look like incans when theres technology to produce whiter light.

4500K might also be right but as for reference I hace Zebralight SC51w and boy, it´s just too yellow!!

When it gets out from blue/purple but not yet in a yellowish-area, that´s about it where I like it.

Many basic R5 XP-G´s seem to hit this sweetspot. Not sure how for example Xeno E03 as neutral would do. Maybe better?

I'm definitely going to have to investigate this a lot more. Before last Friday every light I ever bought didn't allow me to choose a tint. I just bought what the company offered. But when I ordered my Xeno E03 from tacticalhid they were sold out of everything except warm white so that's what I got. I actually really like it. It's very similar to an incan light and allows me to see details in what I am looking at really well. Some of that could just be the reflector, but I hope to buy a neutral white Xeno E03 soon so I can compare the two. I own lots of LED lights but this warm white E03 puts out the most practical/useful light of any of them. And I'm not talking about brightness/lumens, I'm talking about shining a light under the hood of a car or inside a dark closet and being able to see the best. Most of my LED lights have a bright hot spot that somewhat kills most of the spill to the eyes. At close range you can only see the hotspot for the most part whereas this warm E03 spreads the light out much better.

Now I'm not saying I'm totally sold on the warm white and would want every one of my lights like that. Not at all. But it certainly is a nice change and I will happily own several different tints of LEDs from now on.

Given more options, I would prefer something like the neutral 5000K in the Jetbeam BC40. But I voted for neutral 4500k! :)

The problem with the majority of "warm" LEDs is that they are overly warm. I don't want any light that is warmer than a properly driven incandescent bulb (3000K) and often they just look "off"... too much orange or pink. The hi-cri XPGs in my Linger special are just about right for a "warm" light (the CRI doesn't hurt either) that isn't ridiculously bright since it is all flood.

For lights under 500 lumens I'd have to say that I prefer about a 5A tint and once you get more output than that I'm happy with anything between 5A and 3A (bottom side of the chart, I hate green :)).

My perfect tint changes from time to time do to many variations.Today is XPG R4 4B. Some days a 1D tint XML really does it. Other times an R4 3D XPG depends on output and indoor or outdoor and a lot of other little things like the background. Didn't mean to answer a question with a question.

Sometimes in a fight blood red really does it, is there a right answer.

At one point I got a yellow tint from battery junction it was so yellow I had to give it away I could not stand to look at it and it was a great little expensive light.

I LOVE neutral white lights. Warm white is nice but it just "feels" too dim.

My Spark SL6 is a 4B tint and it is right about 4200K which, IMHO, is perfect. My XENO NW is slightly cooler and is a pure white light, "5000K?", which is also nice just not as nice as the hint of yellow in my Spark. My ThruNite Neutron, claimed neutral, is warm white and is very pleasing to the eye but it is a pink/brown color which takes time to get used to.

Neutral white but more on the cool side instead of the warm. Received my DRY NW but my first impressions are that it is a bit too 'yellow'. 4000K it is if I'm right, 4500-5000K would have been ideal i think.