What lighter to carry for non-smoker?

Can I ask why you want to carry a lighter? If you need it for lighting fires, i.e. camping and stuff then get one of these

http://lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx

Mine:

+1

especially as a non-smoker. I do own this one (Honest brand) from DX... it doesn't hold much gas but as a non-smoker it is absolutely sufficient. I like that it is very slim and because of that matte almost rubber like coating.. it doesn't dangle around in pockets. I own it for 2 years now and refilled about 6 times. I also own a classic brass zippo with gas insert, but it stays home most of the time due to its bulkiness.

The best lighters are the ones that are left at your place after a party. Extremely cheap.

So your parties cost nothing? I find that to be an expensive way to get lighters... not to forget the headache involved. ;-)

They are high polish chrome and brass. The Armor models are 50% thicker which gives them a much more substantial feel over the standard models. The only disappointment is they didn't improve on the hinge. It's the weak spot on all Zippos. They do come with a lifetime warranty. If you're interested, I got mine from this ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lighters-/951/i.html?_catref=1&_ipg=&_sac=1&_ssn=lighterusa1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

I like Zippos and the like but it seems oil lighters are always dry when you need them most.

Jet lighters are best for wind, emergency soldering/brazing, and the next best thing to a knife. Jet lighters will cut through a seatbelt like butter or cut packing tape on a box in a pinch. Look for the brand "Honest" if you want a quality but inexpensive jet lighter.

The nicest and most reliable EDC lighter for me though are a series of lighters from Yibao. Built like tanks and extremely elegant at the same time. It's also fun to hand one to someone and watch the stupid look on their face as they try to figure out how to light it. They also come in beautiful boxes for gift giving or storage.

I'd like to get one of these peanut lighters. Small and really small.

http://countycomm.com/splitpea.html

Those are cool, JohnnyMac, very stylish. How much and where? (I know how to Google, just like the personal touch)

Edit: Oh God, I suddenly feel the urge to start collecting lighters... Tongue Out

I've never smoked but I usually carry a lighter with me. I started out with Zippos and got tired of them leaking in my pocket. I switched over to a tri-flame Colbri and never looked back... All of their triple-jet models are awesome!

http://www.colibri.com/en-us/products/lighters?filter_by=Triple%20Jet%20Flame&ditto_c-series_products_tags=Triple%20Jet%20Flame&ditto_d-series_products_tags=Triple%20Jet%20Flame&ditto_t-series_products_tags=Triple%20Jet%20Flame

Just click the pics. Each pic I posted is linked to its DX page where I bought them. They are around $5-$6 each. You really have to get at least one to try and you will be sold. They light every time and a little steam punkish too. :slight_smile:

Nice! I love the triple flame. Too bad it's a bit too expensive for me.

Google for “Xikar Enigma”.
IMO well worth the price, very reliable and nice. Had it for years now.

That is a cool looking lighter. One of Amazon's sellers has it for $32.95 plus $4.69 shipping.

Just personal preference, I guess.

I don't like the flavour a butane lighter will leave on the first drag.

For non-smoking purposes, I'd always opt for disposable BIC-style butane lighters, though. Most models available in Europa have stricter safety features these days. Not as easy to accidentally light one up as it used to be.

I love the smell of Zippo fuel. I'm sure I'm not alone :)

Ever had a chemical burn at your groin from Zippo fuel leaking through your pocket? Holy hell! Talk about pain! I had to stop the car in the middle of the street, jump out, and drop trousers to see what the hell was eating my inside thigh. Mutha F’er, that hurt!!

Not sure what the heck that has to do with the smell of Zippo fuel but mentioning the fuel brought back a painful memory I thought I'd share.

Back when I smoked, it was a 'comfort' smell.

Johnny, thanks for sharing. I'll make sure I never OVER FILL my Zippo... lol!

I also have a Yibao Tri-S (Shiny Silver Stylish). It's much smaller than I thought it would be. And I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to light it! In fact, out of my entire lighter collection, this is the only one I couldn't figure out.