What's for dinner? Baked UltraFire!!

WOW DBCstm,

Please be sure to log that MTG2 mod, that sounds incredible!

Will do edeekeos. I have an K3 that I modded with a big copper sink (7/8” diameter by 1” long), the way it’s done allows the emitter/sink/driver (light engine?) to sit in the head of an L2P host free and clear. I put the reflector on it from the M8 and it’s got a pretty decent hot spot. Of course, I’m just holding the big aluminum M8 reflector in place and shining it around…the MT-G2 in my K3 is making something like 3080 lumens. Actually bought the M8 with an MT-G2 mod in mind, had an XM-L2 T6 in it within an hour after receiving the light. :slight_smile:

Does anybody know what happens if you bake a light that is some other color than black. Do all colors end up the same, or are there other interesting possibilities?

Well. I baked the bezel of a Convoy M1 forst with a mini torch, but that ran out of fuel then, I threw it on the stovetop directly in the flames. Colour turned to a lovely, burnt orange as shown in pics above. There was one darkeer spot so I continued baking and the bezel went from burnt orange to chocolate brown in a matter of 5 seconds. :confused:

Orange on black looks cool, don’t guess there’s any way to reverse the process is there?

That’s the thing with this kind of stuff, it’s hit and miss and always next to impossible to tell when any little bit more is way too much. Then perfect or beautiful is messed up or ugly. :frowning:

So I took apart my cheap ultrafire zoomy to get a little more experience with disassembling, and to check out the driver and emitter.

Long story short I’mma bake this light. I found 2 O-rings, one around pill and one in between head and body contact for zoom function.

Anyway, I’ve run into an issue with the lens (again). There are 4 little indentations in the metal just below the underside of the lens. I’m assuming I need to bend those out and then lens pops through underneath (lens is in the bezel)?

You know if I can bake mine to this color?

You can paint it that color. :slight_smile:

It would only cost a few extra dollars, but only lasts for a month or two on a car. On a light I imagine it would last for 6+ months, assuming you could get a reasonable coat on it.

my experiance was......nothing for a long time then suddenly they change colors really fast . I'm thinking of striping a light with lines of.....Oil??? or maybe small dots all over it ... seems like oil and hot metal might just create a smear.

Time to sacrifice a sk68.

Heating up the oven… If I don’t report back I’ve either set my house on fire, or am in a corner sobbing because my flashlight melted.

All #s in Minutes

• 25 - no perceivable changes
  • 26.5 - everything seems to have a slight deep dark red hue.
  • 32 - head is most noticeably dark red. Pic taken.
  • 36 - body is much more noticeably dark red as well.
  • I’m assuming the copper color I want is going to take upwards of an hour.
  • 45 - head is now lighter, almost like a dark copperish color. Everything else is catching up and pretty much all dark red.
  • 57 - everything but the tail cap has progressed to the copperish stage. Head is nearing ‘completion’.
  • 65 - pulled the head. Has a fantastic copper speckle color. Tail app is almost cherry red, wish all pieces hit that color, I would have stopped it there.
  • 75 - body and the pill receiver are getting close, tail cap seems to like being cherry red. :slight_smile:
  • 90 -

- Jk, still going. Tail cap turning copperish ever so slightly. Other 2 pieces almost done.

The suspense is killing me! :-)

I baked my Ultrafire S5 today. Here it is fresh out of the oven. All I have is a convection oven, but it worked.

I got bored, pulled everything else at 105minutes. I’ll post some pics when they cool down a bit.

It seems to get darker as it cools. A bit disappointing. I’m going to refire the tailcap later on, and perhaps the bezel if I ever get brave enough to pop the lens out.

A lot better. Still a bit off, but I’m happy. :slight_smile:

What temperature did you do this at? I was hoping to get more this color but ended up with a dark green/bronze look. I had the oven set at 550º, the hottest it would go.

I just used broil on high. I’m in the middle of refiring a few of the pieces to get it a bit lighter overall.

Updated my post, I’m much happier with it now. Put head in for about 15m longer, pill receiver for 10 and the tail in for 40 more. I think the tail might have been anodized different or something; in all the stages it was much more red than any of the other parts.

That does indeed look very nice! Good job, way to stick with it til it came out the way you wanted. :wink:

Just Do It

I did.

Found this thread, remembered something about it from Dimbo’s distant past, within 20 minutes, I had a favorite 501b taken ALMOST apart (I forgot the O-ring between the flared head and the body — no problem except now I need a new O-ring) and the anodized pieces put back together (I believed this would give me a uniform color — wrong) and the broiler just starting to get red…

I just let it sit there on the cookie sheet for 20 minutes. It took at least 20 minutes to cool down!!!

IT GETS HOT!!!

EDIT: Sorry, I posted these images on brightlightmodules server & he has since shut it down. I will try to restore the pictures if I can.

I’m sold!

Thanks to everyone who posted here!!

Dim

It only works on HAII anodizing. You never know what kind of tint you’ll come out with. A blow torch works really fast.

I did.

The body became a quite-different color than the ends. It’s a lot more noticeable than I’d like, so I tried to “re-fire” just the body, thinking it was maybe a different anodizing, or thicker, or a different Al alloy or whatever, but mostly to observe a “re-treatment” on a part I wouldn’t miss (not as much as the ends).

That didn’t seem to have any effect at all on the color. So I tried to “re-fire” the ends. Likewise, no big difference the second time around.

I only left them in the oven for ~20 minutes per trial, on a pizza pan on the top rack.

What I believe now is that the body and the ends came from different places, different times in UltraFire’s process. If I do one “for score” I’ll treat the ends at the same time then treat the body separately. But eternal vigilance is the best idea yet.

I will heat the ends for however long it takes until they get to a color I like, then put the body in and watch it until it gets to be the same color.

That should do it…

Dim

So does it go from red to copper/orange to brown the longer it is in?