Which digital camera

Like you, I got the D5100, my first DSLR. Result, I don't know JACK!!

I have fumbled around went from fine jpegs to raw, then back to jpegs. To tell the truth, if my old $70 P&S hadn't died on me, I would be using that!

However, in the camera's defense I have not spent the time to learn to use it. Anyway, I have the kit lens 18-55, and a Tamron 70-300. I am thinking about getting the F1.8 lens. Since I use a tripod with doing my dreadful beamshots, I think the faster lens will be better.. Will see..

What I have been doing is the same thing SOME shooters do with those big clips in guns, SPRAY AND PRAY!!Laughing I shoot a zillion shots, I get a few good ones!!

More than a hundred years ago George Bernard Shaw wrote, "The photographer is like a sturgeon, a million eggs for one result."

lol That's what I do. My buddy Norm bought me a Canon 7D last year and I take tons of pictures and only a handful are good but that's the beauty of digital -- if you don't like it, you can just delete it. Plus you're not spending $$ on developing film.

The S95 is a little camera with a very good image quality for that small size.

But every DSLR has a better image quality.

I use the older model, the S90 for the snapshots, for all the other photo's i use a Canon 5D MKII and a 1D MKIII (the 1D is my "action camera"). DSLR's are more expensive, and they need good lenses for the best results.

A DSLR is a heavy camera to carry around, but most are just as easy to use as a compact camera, at least when they are on automatic. Usual the DSLR gets pictures that are considerable better than compact cameras, but in sunshine and also for macro some compacts does a very good job.

I have been using two different compacts, a Canon and a Fujifilm. The Canon was the best, generally it had less noise in the pictures and it was much better at macro.

At the current time my cameras are a DSLR and a smart phone. The phone is only because it is always near me, not for the picture quality.

Very nice and very expensive cameras you got there. Are you a professional photographer? What lenses do you use the most? With those kind of cameras, I bet all your lenses are the 'L' series.

I am not a professional photographer, it is just a hobby (a very expensive hobby, but i drive a 12 year old Clio instead of an expensive car).

I do have some L lenses: 16-35 f2,8 L II - 24-70 f2,8 L - 24-105 f4 L IS - 70-200 f2,8 L IS II - 100-400 L IS - 300mm f4 L IS - 135 f2,0 L

And some non-L lenses as well: 85mm f1,8 - Sigma 15mm fish-eye - Sigma 150mm f2,8 Macro

These lenses keep their value much better than most cars, even after 4-5 years the "L" lenses are worth about 3/4 of the new price. Some of these are bougt second hand, if i sell those i will get almost back what i have payed for it.

The 70-200 is my favourite for sports, the 100-400 for airplanes, the 150mm for the insects and other small objects...

You really do not need a DSLR for the type of shots you describe.

I have a Sony DSLR with a few lenses, but whenever I need to take a macro shot, I always reach for my £60 Canon compact. A decent macro lens for the SLR is really not worth the investment for the odd shot (and we're talking about £250). A decent compact or bridge camera with macro and manual controls should be plenty.

I took this against the fabric of my tent last year, with the el-cheapo canon A480. The spider is probably about the size of my fingernail at the most.

Obviously this camera doesn't have fully manual controls, but you shouldn't have to pay much more to get them.

+1

Depends on where you are shooting..

Here's one with 14mm:

You won't get the shallow depth of field and the clean backgrounds like this with a compact camera:

For this photo i used the Sigma 150mm + 1,4x TC on the 1D MKIII (f8, 1/500 sec, iso 400).

As I stated, I have a DSLR, and I'm quite aware of what can be done with fast lenses with regard to depth of field etc... in fact, in macro mode, most compacts will give quite a shallow DoF.

The equipment you have listed would probably cost in the region of £1800 - £2000 (used) here in the UK. The camera I use for macro shots cost £60, and the original poster quoted a budget of £100, so I was answering in context to the question.

That spider looks great from a cheapo camera, but wow at that second pic! I lack the money and the talent for that tho so I will keep my aspirations grounded, the cheap canons are being bid on as we speak but I'll be holding back for a good deal. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ps, is there a sort of BLF standard setting for beam shots?

Depth of field is a function of aperture and focal length. Shoot wide-open and zoomed-in for a shallow DoF.

Shorter focal lengths inherent to point-and-shoot cameras make it more challenging to achieve.

Another vote for micro- 4/3rds if you can afford it, or an S95

Wow! That's a very impressive collection of 'L' glass you have there. I have the 70-200 f2.8L IS I, 24-105 f4L IS and the 100 f2.8L Macro IS USM. I'm saving up to get the 16-35 f2.8L II but for now I have the 15-85 f3.5-5.6 as my wide angle lens. My most used lens is the 24-105 with the 70-200 as a very close second. I'd love to move up to a full frame like the 5D2 or 5D3 but that will have to wait. My plan is to buy 1 more 'L' lens (most likely the 16-35 f2.8 II) before I buy a full frame camera.

Any rec on a 4/3 ?

Nothing replaces a DSLR and with the prices of new ones so inexpensive.

I use this link for Reviews

For DSLR very good for Tutorials, they have 69 videos

I have a Canon 60D and a my wife has a Panasonic FZ45.

The Panasonic is nice. I've always liked Panasonic PnS cameras they're very nice and have a lot of nice features. It has a lot of zoom. It also does decent video.

Check out Cameralabs.com and you can read a lot of reviews and comparisons.

For the money it's hard to top a Fuji.