Which movie did you watch lastֻ

Watched “Ava”, which was… okay, I guess. It was stylish, and the opening sequence pretty much told the backstory as far as her military background and problems with authority, etc., which was quite well-done, and you definitely find out about her mommy issues and the whole screwed-up family in very short order.

That said, it’s the pretty typical story of an agent turning into a liability and having a hit put out on her, yet she scrapes through and finds out the truth.

It would’ve been a decent action flick were it not for the “family drama” that was slathered on thick. Oh, and of course the family knows nothing of her secret identity and secret job as a hitman hitwoman hitperson.

So… yeah, predictable, fomulaic, nothing terribly original, but the action bits were pretty decent. The rest, especially the Family From Hell, I could’ve done without.

I saw Only Lovers Left Alive (2013).

I hated this movie.

Most of the movie is pretty boring, and the movie is extremely pretentious.

Most of the main characters in the film are also very pretentious.

Another character is intentionally annoying.

No character in the movie is actually likable.

Most of the music is pretty good, and the acting is also good.

But, in this case, good music and acting didn't make for a good film.

If you like pretentious movies/characters, you might like this movie, but I couldn't stand it.

The Skulls (2000)

“A senior at an ivy league college, who depends on scholarships and working on the side, gets accepted into the secret society The Skulls. He hopes it betters chances at Harvard but The Skulls is not what he thought and comes at a price. ”

Good movie about the famous Skull & Bones secret student society at Yale.

Ooh, lotta famous names in there.

But one glance tells me that’s not Steve Harris from Iron Maiden… :laughing:

watched a bunch this weekend.
here we go….

“notables”:
Copland.
Rocky meets Goodfellas and Sopranos.
Kiss the Girls.
Bi-Coastal serial killers. there. spoiled it.
State of Play.
another movie where Ben Affleck has a mistress.

old, “non-notable” horror:
Bride of the Gorilla.
Raymond Burr, Lon Chaney, Jr. and push-up bras.
She Demons.
Nazis, Dancing Girls, and more push-up bras.
Attack of the Giant Leeches.
Florida Crackers, dynamite, and bad Southern accents.

I liked Kiss the Girls, but I saw it a long time ago.

Caught (umm, okay, bad choice of words) “[The] Flu” (kr audio, en subs) tonight, at just a smidge over 2hrs long.

It started out and stayed freaking amazing, and consistently so, ’til about ¾ of the way in, and then just started spiralling out of control after that. Once the military got involved, on both sides (watch it and you’ll know what I mean), it was almost a Jason Bourne movie, ’til at almost the end it went beyond patriotic and headlong into jingoistic, and just kinda polluted the plot with lots of needless melodrama. Last message seemed to be “Look how great some of our leaders are! (And look at what a-holes the all other ones are.)”.

It could’ve stayed a solid medical thriller without getting into all that, quite frankly, and would’ve been an easy 9+.

Imagine “The Sound Of Music” where instead of the family just happily escaping at the end, the Nazis went in with a Panzer division to destroy the countryside in retaliation and all the von Trapps had to join The Resistance and become guerilla fighters to blow up the fuel depot. Yeahhhh… no.

It was still pretty awesome, and like I said, at least the first 1½ hours was flat-out amazing, grabbing your attention and not letting it go, but then it was like Michael Bay took over. It became brain-candy, turning a solid thriller into an “action” movie… and then a political commercial.

The “extra scene” after the end-credits brought it back down to earth, and was pretty funny, but it was also a bit late.

Even if you’re not interested in the movie itself, it’s worth it just to watch the spread of the virus towards the beginning, once things get rolling.

And no, this isn’t a 2020 flick, but was made in 2013. That makes it all the more amazing.

My last movie was Interstellar. It’s a bit confusing as I’m not into physics but yeah… It’s a good movie :slight_smile:

Coupla good ones today. First up was “Josie & Jack”, which was surprisingly good, despite the 4.whatever rating.

After their mum died, brother’n’sister might-as-well-be-orphans get dumped off on their controlling/tyrannical father, a physics professor who home-schools them viciously, and bro’n’sis need to rely on each other and get close. Very close. It’s not ever shown, but implied. Sis is jealous of any gril who gets close to bro, and bro is well beyond protective/possessive of her, too, and has quite a temper, too. They’re a passive-aggressive couple, she being passive, and he being aggressive.

Well, they get booted from their house, take up with whichever chick wants to snuggle up to bro, and at some point, things go Very Wrong. The first part of the movie is when they’re at home, and the second part is when they’re on the run. I was getting afraid that it’d just turn out to be one of those “slice of life” movies that don’t really have a plot or an ending, but it wasn’t, thankfully.

It takes retrospect to see how the stage is being set, how one thing leads to another, almost foreshadows the next, and how one phrase, one sentence the brother said, almost made the final part inevitable.

And I think that’s the secret and what made the movie really good. If you watch it and don’t think about it afterward, it’ll likely be just so-so. But with the movie just adding later after layer as it went along, and catching what it did, huh… that was pretty damned good. :laughing:

It’s kind of a slow burn, but fires right up towards the end. Highly recommended.

Next up was “Class Action Park”, a documentary about the rise and fall of Action Park in Vernon Valley area of Joisey. It’ll have much more meaning/significance if you were nearby and remember the commercials from waaaaay back.

Basically, Action Park was the idea and creation of “Uncle” Gene Mulvihill. As was described, theme parks had thrill rides that may’ve been incredibly scary, but you were in no real danger. In contrast, Action Park’s rides were so over-the-top that you could easily get maimed or even killed. And Mulvihill’s playing fast’n’loose with the law, insurance, and even sanity, made Action Park an iconic place where you could have a blast, even if you came home with serious road-rash, or minus a finger or two. Its nicknames were “Class Action Park” and “Traction Park” among other things.

The first part of the doc was a hoot! People who just went there when they were kids, and those who worked there, recounted some of their experiences and described the rides. People associated with the park, including some who helped design some of the rides, were also interviewed. Just seeing archive footage when the rides were being described often had me in hysterics. Eg, the first tests of the Cannonball Loop water-slide, where crash-test dummies came out decapitated or missing limbs, was kind of a signal what kind of ride that’d be. Yet people flocked to the place!

Later, it took a bit of a dark turn when interviewing the family of one of the kids who got killed there. Getting gorked when sailing off a luge-like ride headfirst into a pile of rocks, drownding in the wave-pool, etc., were some of the deaths.

It was incredibly interesting watching the rise of Action Park back in its heyday, and then its fall when the legal/political atmosphere didn’t tolerate that kind of thing anymore, and the tides turned. I’ve never been there, but do remember the commercials. I always wondered what happened to places like that. Brigantine Castle burned down, apparently Action Park was shut down after things fell apart financially and otherwise, but there were other places that were famous, if not infamous, and then you never heard of them again.

Like I said, the first half or more was a hoot, and will have you laffing hysterically, so that’s worth catching this flick.

dug out some DVDs this week:

1. Winchester ’73.

Rock Hudson is an Indian.

2. Be Cool.

Be Boring.

3. A Bridge Too Far.

i still think it’s better than Saving Private Ryan.

Where can I watch Class Action Park?

Wellp, it’s on something called “HBO MAX”, if you have access to that.

Yeah I can watch it there. Thanks again. I remember the Action Park years. He was legend in the industry. I saw the big cheese once. He pulled up at the auctioning off of his Camden park in a limo and bought all the equipment back for pennies on a dollar.

Okay, tonight was a slow night, only got the chance to catch “Street Thief”, a mockumentary about a “professional burglar” (’though he denies that job description) Kaspar Karr.

It’s sold as a documentary being filmed by a documentarian and his camera-dewd, who not only film from a safe distance, but even passively participate in the break-ins by going into the sites and filming Kaspar doing his thang.

Plus, they spend lots of time filming Kaspar patiently staking out the locations, gathering intel, watching personnel coming and going and at what times, all waiting for the right time to make his move. It’s not quite a how-to guide, but it comes close. Some of the stuff in there is quite legit. :laughing:

And you see Kaspar during his “down time”, usually making some really tasty-looking eats and practically wolfing it down without tasting it. :laughing:

There’s even a twist ending where a quick replay of an earlier clip pretty much answers all your questions! Nicely done!

All in all, it’s an hournahalf that just flies by, and is well worth the look.

Okay, I watched a movie, “Infestation” (check), at 1:18 long (check), and has cast listed for Annie and Sol who work at a radio station (check), but the entry describes it as two movies in one, “Airwaves” and “Soundwaves”.

Annie and Sol in the radio station fits the description of “Airwaves”, but wtf about “Soundwaves”?

There were brief snippets of the John character, during the movie, and maybe 2-3min of flashback at the end. That’s it?? Cast on imdb included “partygoer”, “alien”, “restaurant patron”, etc., and none of those were in the flick that I saw.

And the movie ended abruptly. Again, a “wtf?? that’s it??” ending. Damn, I’m sick of that.

Anyway, it looked to me that the movie I saw was only half the supposedly whole movie, or it was just thrown together and shovelled out the door incomplete, regardless.

Up until the ending, it was pretty suspenseful, pretty good. But then yet another case of movieus interruptus.

Huh… clicking on the pix on imdb, yeah, quite a few scenes that were not in the 1:18 movie I saw.

So, while that half the movie was pretty good, it’s up to you whether/not to wait for the other half to show up.

finishing up the weekend….

watched:

1. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist.

stupid funny. well, stupid everything.

2. Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Skynet’s Daddy.

3. Tenet (yes, pirate site).

007’s PC Inception.

A good one this time… “Anti Matter”.

Experiments to see if an atom stays stable with varying EM pulses shows a case where it doesn’t, an anomaly. One thing leads to another, and soon the experimenters find a way to create a wormhole.

“Everything will change.” Commuting to/from work now takes a nanosecond vs an hour, food can be delivered practically into your fridge, a brain tumor could be beamed right out of your head, people could transport right into a bank vault, etc. Everything will change.

But to secure funding, transporting a potted plant and caterpillar isn’t enough, so they go higher up the evolutionary scale, and the final kick is to transport one of the experimenters him-/herself. But something goes wrong.

The movie has a wonderfully creepy “Jacob’s Ladder” vibe to it, as you just don’t know what’s going on. People close to you are just acting weird, acting secretive, conspiring against you, and no one’d giving you any answers. Is there a problem with the universe, or with you? The flick does a great job keeping you guessing.

And it had an ending, too! And not a bad one, either.

Basically, no real complaints about the movie. It was pretty engaging, it kept my interest throughout, and what I would’ve at first considered a complaint, being in a near-perpetual “wtf??” state wondering what’s going on, was probably intentional, so you can see and feel things from the experimenter’s perspective.

Pretty good… definitely recommended.

The Professionals.
a Magnificent 7
and A-Team
combo.

Had some good mindless fun today watching “Gale Force”, a Treat Williams treat where he plays a cop who after getting suspended because of a PR blunder, goes on a “Survivor”-like show called “Treasure Hunt” which is pretty much what it sounds like.

Part of the “Survivor” aspect is that the contestants looking for the 1Mbuk treasure can get picked off one by one, by commandos shooting paintball guns. Problem is, the mercs want the loot for themselves, so they opted for live ammo instead. And there’s a big honkin’ hurricane headed for the island. So the contestants have to survive both.

High drama it ain’t, but it’s still a fun watch.

And it’s a spoof, a parody, and isn’t meant to be taken seriously. Watch it in that light, and it’s a hoot.

I watched Alien, which is one of my favorites. I have seen it many times but it is probably 4-5 years since I last watched it.