world's tiniest

Google thill nite brite

That looks almost exactly like the MBI design just without the matchbook case. Hopefully there aren’t any patent issues etc. I’ve observed a few of the other MBI designs as they were being developed and released, some of the first really tiny pocket rockets. I never pulled the trigger on any for myself but interesting nonetheless.

He’s “the guy with no name” on CPF, here’s a thread on one of his other designs I thought was cool, it’s a little light machined out of some specialty fasteners. Tiny little thing that runs on a 10250:

I’m not sure if he’s a member here, he very well might be.

I received an email today from Guy @MBI for an early purchase orders for these Matchbooks, You can order on this link, I have followed MBI for quit awhile now get these early info emails on projects he's working on or in this case one that's finally came to be, I think shipping will be some time in July, there are some beam shots about half way down the page and a lot of the other questions asked on this thread answered in full here, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flashlight-the-size-of-a-match#/

Edit: Guy at MBI is same as the Guy with no name at CPF so I have been told, all of his work is archived at CPF,

I have both the MBI HF-R Ti UTT & one STT and just the other day got his new MBI Nuke Charger for the 10250 & 10280 cells, it's real small, probably the smallest charger yet.__

Actually the fishing lure is mentioned on the page I linked to in other post and if I recall it is what gave him the idea for these lights, they are now working and the only problem apparently is how to put the MBI logo on them, I thought that was sure something you wouldn’t consider in design process as being a potential issue but I guess it was or is.

Just google “pin lithium batteries” there are other sizes. A friend uses the thill float at times, and I remember we were looking for replacement cells and came up with the stick/pin cells as a solution. I think he ended up ordering a handful from a Chinese vendor. All worked fine. Not too expensive.

His idea is kind of a novelty really.

Oh, Panasonic Pin Cells are rechargeable! Imagine a AAA sized flashlight stuffed with four of those, running a XHP-35!

Interesting… Those thill nite bright lights functions exactly the same as the matchbox, push on pull off, I guess he’s just adding a small magnet on the bottom and rewrap it.

I want to see how good it does when scuba diving (you know, like in the video, 30 seconds in)

My guess is with about 10 lumens of all flood you wouldn’t even know it’s turned on.

I own one of Guy’s older types HF-R lights, with a XM-L.

All of his lights are designed by himself, and he is a very interesting guy. He is full of great ideas.
He assembles all of his lights by hand, tests them and then sends them out. He won’t sell anything that’s of questionable quality. Every piece you find in his lights have been thoroughly thought through and tested.

If you ever can trust a manufacturer/designer/seller/enthusiast, it will be him.

You should watch his threads at CPF… he is a real perfectionist.

Hi BLF,

After having been a casual lurker here for some years, I thought I’d officially join (after plentiful prodding by existing blf members) to say both hello and thank you for checking out my matchbook project.

Most of the posted comments regarding the lights are impressively accurate :slight_smile:

I originally created the matchbook (as mentioned in my blog) to satisfy my own flashaholic desires. Whilst it’s a novel and cool way to package/hold the lights, the project had even more meaning to me personally, being such a closely related pun on my brand name “Matchbox Instruments”, that I couldn’t resist the temptation to make it for fun.
After my original blog post, I had quite a few requests for the Matchbook (almost surprisingly) and whilst I made a few by hand, it was very very time consuming, so in the interest of efficiency and making enough for whoever would like a few, I decided to launch this project.

Of course, I’ve been upfront about basing it on fishing lure lights (so I’m sure you could replicate the project too) but with even a modest demand, I’m able to make it available in the cool package at a price that is competitive with standard fishing lure type lights, with some added function too.

I do completely realise at the outset this is not a replacement for your EDC, and like everything in life, I don’t expect this will be for everybody on the planet and I’m ok with that. There are some crazy(ish) people (like me) who want the matchlights and some the matchbook and some also what they represent, and I’m grateful to find them (or them finding me) and sharing a common interest.

Like most people here, I basically love lights (all kinds) which is how my hobby started.
The tiny, matchlights have proven to be useful on occasion over the last couple of years and because I have more flashlights that I can use at the same time (as I suspect some of you may) the tiny lights are not always my first choice, but living in a very earthquake/tsunami prone country, a few hiding in my wallet and some others stashed here & there, it’s one more layer of potential backup, for the just in case scenario.

I’ve added quite a few photos to the campaign page since this thread was first posted (thanks for bringing that up). At the end of the day, I’m very much a hobbyist like so many people here, so some lighthearted fun in creating this design, and I hope my post was appropriate.

Tgwnn (Guy@MBI)
s. Tgwnn is an abbreviation for The Guy With No Name
p.s. Thanks so much to saypat for the original post :wink:

G'Day the_guy_with_no_name aka Tgwnn

Welcome to BLF.

Best Regards,

George

Welcome to BLF
I for one applaud different ideas.

Welcome TGWNN :slight_smile: I had done a bit of research thinking about making “the world’s smallest flashlight” for the BLF annual build contest but you are miles ahead of what I had in mind. Keep the innovation going!

Phil

Thanks George for the kind welcome :slight_smile:

Hi The Miller,
Thanks also for the welcome and appreciate your open mindedness :slight_smile:

Hi Phil,
Thanks so much and as I very much love small lights, I do look forward to your build should you find the time to make it happen :wink:

Tgwnn

TGWNN’s products and overall endeavor are very unique, the attention to detail is second to none, you get a sens that it’s much more about passion , fun, and sharing that with like minded people than making a quick buck.

I still have my MBI Core TI, fantastic titanium light/jewel.

Hi Guy! :slight_smile: Welcome aboard!

Waiting on my order of Matchbook lights, quite eagerly. They should sit really well with my 14,500 lumen BTU Shocker. hahahahaha

I figure the car is the place for these, those map reading occasions while traveling with the kiddo asleep in the back seat, perfect. :wink: But of course I’ll more than likely play a few of em to death just because. So I got extra’s. Thanks for making these available, am hoping to get a rainbow pack at some point, just because.

Also really looking forward to adding Zeus to my collection of HF and HF-R, Core Ti and Matchbook MBI lights. The Torpedo is lonely, needs a bigger brother and the HF’s are always on the move (on my keychain still, after how long now? Quite a while! Years?)

My Core Ti is still used almost daily, weather I actually pick it up and turn it on or just go by it’s glow. (For those that don’t know, I bought an Opal and fitted a Trit vial inside it, for the switch button. It sits on the filter on the side of my computer, about an inch away from the on/off switch of my PC, lighting the way with no battery use at all.) I also use it to find a specific bigger light on my shelf of goodies, as my bedroom is so dark all the time. At any rate, MBI products have been a big part of my life since their inception and will continue to be, in more and more ways.

My green anodized Core-Ti, lighting the way with Opal…

I created this for a T-Shirt, going on 4 years ago… wear the T Shirt quite often…use the TI HF regularly and carry it on my keychain daily.

This pic was taken of the Cu HF on top of a Rubik’s cube in Oct 2012…

MBI was one of the starting factors in my budding flashaholism. :bigsmile:

Thanks Guy!

Hi JamesB,
Thanks so much for posting those beautiful photos and your support :blush:

Dale,
Thank you thank you. I think you’ve encouraged me to come here more times than I can count.
I was heartily moved when I saw your order for the Matchbook (and I have to say there are quite a few names I recognized immediately). I always smile when I happen to bump into one of your posts here and see the incredible builds you continue to create. Thanks also for posting those beauties :wink:

Tgwnn

LIGHTBULB! :bigsmile:

Wonder why I haven’t thought to build a 10mm driver for my Cu HF Nichia 219 before? The rotating tail switch would still make for easy on/off and should function well to bump modes. It would also add LVP and give me as many modes as I wish to program in…. hmmm………

Welcome Tgwnn :beer: