XHP35

OMG!!! WHAT!!!

Are you guys even reading what Cree writes, or making stuff up?

Let me help ya’s:

“Leveraging the industry’s breakthrough 12-V monolithic power die”

“Delivering 50% higher performance than Cree’s previous highest-performing single-die LED”

It’s NOT 4-dies. It’s 1! This is the LED I’ve waited for, for ages. It’s like the SST-90, but made by CREE on SC5.

Where are people getting 4x 1.4mm dies from??? Maybe 4 semi-conductor chips underneath, but monolithic is one single phosphor layer that lights up white. Look at the main Cree site photos, it’s clearly the correct image. The static-diode is on the cathode side, it’s not in the middle of the package like an XPL Hi or other E2/G2/L2. The picture is right. Look at the data sheet, too. One die. Sorry, but I am jumping for joy right now. The J20-aspheric build found its ultimate partner.

I agree. The single die factor is what peeked my interest.

Has anyone seen the high intensitys for sale in the US yet? All I have found in stock are the high density. I guess I could cut the dome off myself, but I'd sure rather have one that cree did for me

Whether or not it’s technically quad die, it certainly has some quad die characteristics. 12v for one, and also this picture from the data sheet.

Definitely four dies in there (with the vF to prove it), but at least the space between them is tiny compared to the XHP70.

It is supposed to be a very good LED, but the 12V Vf ruins everything.

High Vf is not that bad, we just don’t have the drivers for it yet. Less amps could mean less heat and higher efficiency.

I’m planning to mod a TK75 2015 with 4x XHP35 HI and the taskled HBFLEX boost driver.

It can drive up to 48V series connected LEDs and 3A max output. That means 2s2p config and they’d be getting 1.5A each, 50% above the max rated drive current. 4S is not possible because at 1A the vF is already 12.25v per LED, 1.5A we’re looking at almost 13.0V. I’m waiting for a code or GB to happen, $199 for a host is way too much.

The other option is a TM16 with a H6FLEX buck driver, with the leds in parallel that’d be 6.6A/4 = 1.65A each. But I’m not sure if the 33mm driver fits. Also I have no idea on how to center the leds.

Here I made a extended graph by extrapolating data from the spec sheet. I don’t know if the Vf raise should be more severe but I believe it must be close to this since it’s only 50% increase. What do you think?

got mine yesterday and start playing fooling around testing the next days… :smiley:

That graph looks fine to me, think it is quite handy for hot-rodders later. :smiley:

The reason I said 12V Vf isn’t good is exactly due to the lack of suitable driver and host for the job, just as what you’ve pointed out. You need to have at least 3 batteries in series in order to run this LED considering using linear or buck drivers, and there are not a lot of good (budget) hosts that we can choose; As for the boost driver we don’t have the common 17, 20, 21, 22mm sizes available for this LED yet. I’m not familiar with TaskLED drivers but I guess they are quite large in diameter and don’t fit in a lot of lights, unfortunately.

Unless the modders around here are going to develop BLF custom drivers to run this 12V emitter. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, when MT-G2 was first released people did not have a lot of driver options too, but after more than 2 years of playing around there are some options available for using these 6V emitters like the MT-G2, XHP-50 and XHP-70 emitters. I guess the same thing will go for this XHP35 too, just that it takes quite some time.

I was pretty excited when I realized the XHP35 existed, and then saw NO die gaps—got a bit anxious. I did see the cross pattern there when I viewed the data sheet, I figured there may be a small gap (cross) under the phosphor layers, but it looks better than that even, at least when viewing Pilotdog’s photo above. CREE really did crunch them together practically as 1-die, as I do not see any true gaps at all. I’ll confess, it does not meet my idea of a standard “monolithic” chip, and there’s no denying that I see 4 separate die cuts. I stand corrected to say that it isn’t 4-dies. :zipper_mouth_face: In performance however, I would expect it to perform like a monolithic die—at least close. Due to the way light scatters through the phosphor, it should help blur away the evidence of multiple chips when it is powered up. The scattering of rays will help pump the central chip phosphor area.

For the devil’s advocate that I am at times, I must wonder about some of the complaints surrounding this LED in 12V… :evil:

When some of you state that we do not have 3S hosts available, or very many of them at least, what leads you to believe you must now use an XHP35 to begin with? As I watch new projects built, I get the feeling some modders aren’t designing lights to be optimal in their configuration, but rather to mainly say, “I have this new LED installed in it”, just because the LED is going to be rare in new builds. 0:)

OK, fine with me. If for example that a new 20V LED is released by CREE though, we do not typically get upset 20V flashlights aren’t there—we more often do not use that LED choice in a flashlight. :wink: That’s the angle I have on the XHP35, really. For what I see being built, it isn’t drastically appealing I would not believe in most situations. The reason I am excited about the XHP35 release, is because I have long desired a “flat” or rather 2D die from Cree larger than the XM-L2, but lacking openly separated dies, specifically for use in large aspheric hosts. When I say large hosts, I mean 75mm lens or bigger, to compensate for the larger total die area.

About the other hosts…

Any single 32650 host is capable of being setup with 3x14500 cells, and depending on design—quite possibly 3x14650 cells with correct arrangement. Sure, that’s like a 2200-2500mAH 3.7V single-cell equivalent, but it’s the bottom-end cell configuration choice for short 3S hosts to be had that are not overly long. 3 small cells will also charge much faster than one big cell, assuming a 3 to 4-cell charger is used.

If you needed lightweight 3S power, my next thoughts would be looking for the 3x16340 (3xCR123) hosts with possible tube extension for 18650s, such as some recent Olights (M3XS-UT, for example). Lights like these will handle 3x18350 cells and remain lightweight.

One could use a 3x18650 side-by-side host, and set the cells up in series instead of parallel if they aren’t series already. Then there are the side-by-side 2x18650 hosts, change for 4x16340 or possibly even 4x18350. Lastly what I think of are the 9xAA/14500 hosts. I have some of these that have an excellent overall size IMO, and they are run as 3S3P—great combo if you do not mind charging up the 9x14500s when needed.

Other than this, I can see where some do not enjoy the 3 or 4 x18650/26650 “telephone-pole handle” lights as hosts. Very long and out of proportion for my tastes usually. The reason I appreciate the TR-J20 host design so much, is the massive cooling ability first off, but it’s so beefed up with excess metal, that 3x32650 stacked in the tube doesn’t look out of proportion, and the capacity is certainly there.

As I look for suitable host this one comes to mind http://www.illumn.com/flashlights/starry-light-sa-22-880-lumens-4-x-aa.html using 14500’s the voltage drop should put it in the safe range. 1 amp load 1800 lumen output.

Hey all,

My high intensity emitters came today. There are some pictures of the light, and one option for a driver here if you would like to see.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34954

I posted some more testing data about the current capabilities of this emitter and lumen output here today
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/34614?page=1#comment-796993

The “cross pattern” is most likely the actual divisions on the wafers between each potential LED die. So basically, you can have 1, 4 ,’x” number of uncut dice left together rather than sliced apart (or made electrically top-to-bottom to exist in this “quad” format.)
If the sublayer(s) under the dice are left electrically conductive between them properly (at least in part, there would have to be some division at the edges or it’d short around the dice), then it’s just a simple matter, don’t separate them and you have “x” multiple in series / parallel (based on the electrical cross-connected layers) as a single physical (monolithic) unit. Realistically and simplistically for manufacturing start to finish, manufacturing them that way (even if they are actually manufactured in a “quad” pattern so that the conductive electrical sublayers require no post-processing to divide them afterwards,) is so much easier than trying to recombine 4 individual dice together in one unit. No bond wires needed, no alignment, no initial cutting to make them in the first place, etc.

Basically a wafer of either individual, or quad-connected, “dice” like these: (that wafer is not LEDs, just an example wafer to show the concept)…
http://www.marktechopto.com/img/products/InaGaAp.jpg
left intact for each quad set.

Welcome to BLF!

Do you have any direct experience with XHP-35? I, for one, would like to see the HI version in a small thrower.

Feel free to introduce yourself!

Not sure if you consider this small or not, but here is one light made with the HI

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/35246

my Frankenlight is definetely NOT small :wink:

one shot i made @ around 10V :wink:

Holy first post Batman! :smiley:

I hope you stick around ChrisTexan, i could only wish i had any such insightful post early here at BLF, but it was mostly now almost embarrassing newbie questions on how these things worked i couldn’t figure out myself :slight_smile:

It reminds me of when MEM first showed up here & blew my mind :open_mouth: with deep knowledge on lenses, optics, photonics & all things led.

I’d love to see a 6V 35. I don’t fancy carrying a 4 x 18650 battery tube and smaller cells suffer from a severe lack of capacity/unit volume.

I would love even more if cree would make 3V XHP 35,50,70’s, i don’t know if it is possible technically but fingers crossed :slight_smile: if it is & they would do them, that would change everything as far as what is possible with a single cell light in output :bigsmile: