XTAR WK26?

I set the lights on my flatbed scanner to take these shots.

Left to right: Peak LED El Capitan (18mm), Peak LED Volcan (19mm), XTAR WP26 (22.5mm), Balder SE-1 (24mm, but see below), Romisen RC-G2 II (27mm), Romisen RC-29 II (30mm).

Left to right: Peak LED El Capitan (18mm), Peak LED Volcan (19mm), XTAR WP26 (22.5mm), Balder SE-1 (24mm, but see below), Romisen RC-G2 II (27mm), Romisen RC-29 II (30mm).

Bezel-to-bezel: XTAR WP26 (left) and Balder SE-1. Though specified at 24mm, the Balder is that wide only at its rear finger grip. (added:) Using a mechanical caliper, I measured the Balder's bezel at 23mm.

I can't speak about the XTAR, because I have "erased" all modes but High.

On the Balder, MED is too close to HI; I sometimes get confused. But after 1.5 seconds OFF, the Balder always starts on HI, making it easier to remember which mode you are in.

I will leave those tests to someone who has more time and knowledge. I am a family man with a long commute (3+hours a day total).

On the Balder SE-1 MED and LO, PWM is completely invisible and inaudible (silent).

Done.

Hey, Paul, thank you very much for your time and those shots. I'm really sorry for your Romisen that died with li-ion. Hope you have a spare driver or led, it's an excellent light ;)

Looks like XTAR has narrower spot and slightly less bright spill, difficult to say if throw will be better or not. Anyway, very informative shots ;)

BTW, that tiny "Captain" is really bright :P Wish they were more affordable.

Thanks again for the info, Paul ;)

just got one of these and am amazed how far it thows for such a tiny light :slight_smile:

I have both the WK26 and SE-1 and I can confirm everything that Paul said.

WK26 indeed throws great. As a matter of fact, I’ve been looking for another compact 14500 light, that can out-throw it and I can’t find anything. I left strobe and mid mode on mine, but I think I’m gonna remove the mid, because it’s just too close to high and makes me wonder every time.

SE-1 always starts on high, which is great for me. I’m wondering should I order a R5 version. I know it won’t throw better than the R3, but it’s not a dedicated thrower anyway, so R5 could actually make more sense. Also I hear the R3 is way overdriven, but the R5 is not. I don’t like T6 on such small lights because of the heat and lowered runtime. T6 deserves a 18650 and bigger head, I have a Solarforce L2T and it’s one hell of a flashlight.

That’s an acceptable price :slight_smile: I was going to offer about the same. Now if you way WAYYYY less…