Y'all may want to read this before thinking about getting a light from me.

I spent considerable time in a training centre in another life time using basic hand tools only during the first year of a fitter and turner apprenticeship.

Your skill with basic hand tools is absolutely first class. What you do and how you go about presenting your work I consider a dying art as machines take over this mechanised world.

I have spent a lot of time marvelling at your handwork and at the same time I believe that you are a mentor to more than one person on this forum. If you decide to hang up your files for retirement from this field I take my hat of to you and say thanks. At the same time if you dont retire or pick your hand tools up again in the future again there will be more than one person all the more richer for it.

What ever you decide, a toast to Old- Lumens. Cheers.

Old Lumens,

I love watching your videos and reading your threads. I don't post much over here, mostly on CPF but I do read over here quite a bit and Your work with just hand tools inspires me to try a few tricks of yours to some of my own Mags, I would be a shame if I (we) didn't have new videos or threads to keep the inspiration flowing.

Best wishes,

Jamie

PilotPTK -

Well said.

Also, evidence of how BLF members feel about Old-Lumens (Justin and his lights) couldn't be more compelling than seeing how long it took to sell those three hosts yesterday. Put them up just before 10 am and I bought the last remaining one at 9 pm. I know it's not always that way, we're a fickle bunch but I know how I would feel if people snatched up my creations that fast.

Anyway, I respect your decision. I also respect the high regard people here have for you.

Foy

I just read the first post here, then set out to go over to cpf and show my ass....

Then I read the thread over there and watched the video. From a third person's (and a modder's) point of view, TechJunkie's rebuild and the comments that followed were done quite tactfully. It wasn't done to fix what should have been, but more to improve on what already was (philosophical, I know :) ).

I'll say this: Regardless of your methods, your cosmetic mods make mine look like they should be hanging off the refrigerator from a magnet next to the rest of the finger paintings.

At the end of the day, I truly understand where you're coming from regarding your own work. Ask yourself, how many "Match's Mods" have you ever seen up for sale?

Here's what the dood on candleregime, --the guy that modded your light had to say;

Old-Lumens,

I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself, and here's why:

1) The host is more than just cosmetic, it's a functional part of the electrical path and the physical structure of the light. The join of the two parts is pin straight and sturdy and has no measurable resistance.

2) The carrier that you made looked top notch. It was meant to be part of jaybiz32's payment to me, but he couldn't find it. I've never succeeded at making a good carrier. I've only ever "built them in" or modded plastic carriers, poorly.

3) There's no shame in doing things on a budget. I'm the cheapest of the cheap, and I share your sentiment and lack of machine tools. I only recently sprung for a $60 benchtop drill-press at Harbor Freight and a $30 cross-vise at Amazon, 'cause hand drilling two holes in parallel is nearly impossible and it takes at least 3 to mount a 20mm star. I still hand-tap all the threads with a T-handle (not sure of any other way to do it, actually). Modding lights for less than you could buy the equivalent is core-value of this section of the forum. It just sometimes gets overshadowed when true machinists and electrical engineers showcase their creations here. That's oranges and apples - don't compare.

4) I recycled your heatsink and shim. It was pure luck that the aluminum sheet metal (pack of patches I bought at Home Depot) happened to be exactly the right size to fit between those two parts. If it didn't fit, I was prepared to use aluminum foil.

My advice is don't beat yourself up over this one light. What you sold to jaybiz32 was fit for his purpose and a bargain too.

I think we'd make a good team, you and I.

-TJ

so yeah. Pick yourself up mang.

Keep modding those hosts .

You know, the video never bothered me. The initial post didn’t really bother me, once I digested it. The Only thing that set me off was tha fact that I felt it would have been proper to let me know in advance. TJ and others stated that my name was never mentioned and it was not. However, I felt that there’s only one person I know of that uses a copper ring as a signature on Maglites, but that’s, again, just me. As I read more and see the reactions more, I can see that my best & most proper response would have been to PM TJ about it, instead of how I did it. Hindsight…

But of course that would not have been nearly melodramatic enough for me. I do seem to love a good drama and don't hesitate to create one.

Anyhow, it was a good wake up and made me think some. That was good. Also TJ's responses were about as good as anyone would ask for. He managed it better than I for sure and for all the guff about CPF, there's lots of really good people there, just as there are here.

I really have to say that all the positive responses have been unbelievable and that my aim was not as it may have come out. It was more of a dialoge of my thoughts and again, was probably better left to PM's, or to myself, than to expose it to the forums involved. But, at least you don't have to worry about it being boring with me around.Wink

Thank you to all of you again, for your responses here. I will continue to work on my "cosmetic mods" and time will tell what the future holds.

Keep on grinding!

Just as easy one can be made to feel down on the internet machine; The support and love of your craft and presence will hopefully help you keep your head up :)

Stay with us!

" I will continue to work on my "cosmetic mods" and time will tell what the future holds. "

We have it in writing .

LOL, I’ll never learn to keep my mouth shut!

Had to laugh, talking about drama . . .

If I look at my own behavior here from time to time, I go in for a little unnecessary drama myself. My reaction to that big spam attack a few days ago, right after I posted some reviews, is a somewhat embarrassing example of Foy taking himself a little too seriously. The good news is; I eventually get over myself.

narcissistFoy

I can only do the electronic portion of the light. I cannot do any of the mechanical or cosmetic portion. I couldn't even file down a mag drop in from Deal Extreme.

The heads on my modded mags don't screw down all the way so I just put o-rings over them. LoL

Glad to here you will continue. Having just joined here I began reading this thread tonight with a sinking feeling. I don't have a lathe and although I don't try to sell my my work I would but for the simple fact that unlike you I am not an artist. I respect the conscientious part of you that is unwilling to market an inferior product but in response I would only say that what I've seen you make is exceedingly well hand crafted. Not precisely machined, but hand tooled. For what it's worth, I think the people who come to you for your lights know what they are getting and are proud to be the owners of the genuine article. To say I was relieved when I finished reading this thread would be an understatement. I am elated.

I'm Very glad to know that we have not lost an artist

So if am getting this right, this guy digs up a light from three years ago? and then trashes it in open forum? Hold your head-up oldlumens

Keith

I spoke with a kneee-JERK reaction and I shall remove the "creep" word. I should have gotten the whole story.

My son has a Mag that is dear to his heart. His B-day just passed in March. I would like to have you do his old light for his next B-day, What is the turn around for this build? Where can I go to look at the particulars/options so I can start planning to have you build one of these (I will provide host) for my son? I call him "Mag-head". Send me in the right direction please.

Keith ( who will buy one of your lights in a heart beat)

Very well said..........Tip of the hat to ya.

Keith

LOL So how long will it take to do a mod on my son"s light? There is no rush as this light will be for his March, 2013 Birthday. I am not meaning to be "pushy". Your final decision will be respected by all.

Keith

What is the cost? I would be pleased to kick-in. I am serious. If I am out of line.......please correct me. BTW, I have had my eye on a oldlumen mag-mod for some time now for my son being the Mag-head he his. It is perfect for him (my son).

Keith

When I showed my son what oldlumen does with the mag he said the same thing. My son is a "cobbler". If the thing WORKS, it does not matter if it is cobbled. My son wants one of these mag-mods and he had no problem with the way they were put together. He is working a lot so a flashlight is probably not on his mind right now. I wanted to surprise him. Just step back old, take a breath and then when YOU are ready, you can start on my son"s light. Remember, the customer is "always" right LOL Please forgive if I am being pushy as I don"t mean to be.

Keith

$500-800 for a starter lathe, another $500 for tooling to get going.

If you want to do Mag bodies, you need a PM1127LB with the Large Bore option - $2700 without tooling.

A better option would be the PM1236 - $4k delivered with DRO, no tooling. Add about $1K for a good (used) 6-jaw chuck.

USA-made tool holders start off around $100/ea, going up to four figures...then you get to buy inserts, at $4-$16/ea. You need a different tool holder for each operation; turning, facing, grooving, parting, etc...

As I'm finding out, the lathe is only the beginning....