Zebralight purchase input.

Wow, that was quick…THANKS!! This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to see!

The SC600 is basically the same size as a D4.

The SC64 is really compact for an 18650 light, but that ugly body with no knurling looks like it belongs on a chess board!

For the SC600w I’d also really like to know how long before thermal step down on H1 for the XHP50.2 vs XHP35 versions, I’m thinking the XHP50.2 would step down sooner?

It really depends. Zebralight’s thermal control is very good, and you can program it to maintain a temperature +/- 5C from the default. Outside, I find it never drops in output, at least during the winter/spring. Inside, left alone to tail-stand, it’s maybe 3 minutes before I notice it starting to dim. If I hand-hold it (to absorb heat), it can be much longer.

Agree WalkIntoTheLight, the PID is pretty awesome and very hard to spot even when looking for it! I have tried with the mkIII HI and mkIII plus, both lights aimed and deliberately looking for the tiny step downs. Lights get warm yes, never too hot, also i can only really tell its stepped down after(not during). Then i can tell the difference in output(guess 600lm ish) and made more obvious when at max again.

Zebra’s may just be my most fav chinese brand right now, i kind of find them in between manufactured and custom(yes you can get a custom zebra to your spec if you want). Super light and compact, solid/tough ano and decent efficient drivers with programming.

I prefer the clips on the 62/63/64 series over the sc600 clip on(hate clip on clips). All subjective, but they have certainly kept my interest in the last 6 months or so. I prefer the 18650 fed over the AA for example, also the xhp35/HI suffer less tint variation over the xp-l2 . I have opted to play safe with the mkIII over mkIV, simply with the odd gremlin on the UI. Down side i can not program the levels out of all 12 in any order on G6 and G7, but i can get by fine with the old UI, so no deal breaker personally.

My fav is still the older sc62d, 320lm is nothing today compared to many, but the luxeon T 85CRI 5000k is super nice………….nice enough for me to not care! In fact my most used level is the 145lm H2…………plenty for general use, 7hrs+ of use if required!

The mkIII plus is the 5000k xhp50, around 1500lm and a touch towards yellow(nothing like the xp-l2 anyway, more in ways to the 219c 4000k is)

If the ultimate goal is compact, the sc63/64 would be my choice in xhp35 4500k. If throw or reach is most important, the nice xhp35 HI 4500k would be my choice. For a floody higher output, the plus. Trouble is……………….you need all of them as there are enough differences to justify them imho :wink:

Nice! Any idea of the run times for the modes with the Plus? I can’t find any listed on ZL website.

My specs are listed here for the mkIII plus, of course a variable depending on cell used(vtc6 in mine)

For example, the 270lm is super useful for me, not too much or too little light, heat of course no issue. I know around 4hrs of use with that level.

I tend to think of the most used level i will be on, so on the sc62d as an example, its the 145lm H2. I know on that level i am good for 7hr ish………….and so on with pretty much most of my lights.

Thanks. How much light is lost with the frosted optics vs without? I’m thinking about the non frosted one as a future purchase.

Not sure, the frosted lens I think is to more smooth out the xhp50(think +). Beam wise , hot spot can be noticed close range. It’s quite hard to explain, think like a mule but with more focus in centre. It’s certainly more flood than throw. I don’t think light loss will be too dramatic, more an actual different beam(throw lost instead).

The newer mkIV jumps the lumens from 1500 to near 2300lm. But what holds me back and from what I have seen/read still does, the xhp50.2 . I hate too much yellow and crazy tint shifts . I need a nice beam, colour temp and tint before output. The high outputs are short use anyway, 600lm ish is about the max constant output for a light this size.(+ or - 100 as a variable depending on ambient temp). So give me a more consistent beam any day over a minute of short lived output. If i need 2000+lm for any duration (more than a minute or two), single cell lights are not the answer. Still it’s nice to have and not need (much) ,than to need and not have :slight_smile:

For me , if I need some reach I grab the HI instead. It’s hard to find a zebra (or most lights) that can do it all and do it well.

Ok. Thanks for the info! I guess I’ll pass on the 50.2 based lights and stay focused on the XHP35.

Hi there,

Just to add my 2 cents, I have owned a SC600w II L2 for a little over two years. It was my EDC, and is still my bkup. I now own the SC600w IV Plus. The tint is indeed yellowish, but to me more like an incandescent bulb. When in use outside it really just produces a decent-sized wall of light of all one color, that shows object colors and textures pretty well. My guess on throw would be about 50 - 60 feet where you can actually see that an area or object is noticeably lit up.

Also, the apparent increase in output to my eye between the II and the IV is about 50% or so. And the stepdown keeps the light nice and bright: when I compare the IV after having been on for 3 or so minutes, to the II having just turned on, the IV is still noticeably brighter. This is with the IV held in the hand in a Room Temp house.

More fodder to chew on I guess :) Enjoy whichever light(s) you end up getting!

-Ben

:+1:

I might go with the SC600 MK IV in the 5700K tint. It looks like it may be the better fit. The tint is more to my liking, the CRI though is 70ish.
Would have been nice to see if there was a HI version of it. I don’t see it on the product page. I have narrowed it down to the 4500k HI and the 5700K regular.

The 4500k would be my choice but it is all subjective. 5700k I can tolerate pretty easily tbh, even the 6300k in my sc62 is fine. That’s more of a pure clean white, no angry blue or crazy purple.
The 4500k to my eyes on the HI has the slightest edge towards yellow, but other than that a clean beam. Now my other 4500k xhp35(none HI in the sc63w)has an edge of rosy/warm which to my eyes quite pleasing.

With the xhp35 HI, I would say your quite safe “tint” wise, by that ,no offs in there like blue/green etc).

So best way would simply be go for your colour temp preference, as it’s a variable from flashaholic to flashaholic.

If I was local I would gladly send you a couple to try out, unfortunately to get it to you would be a 1/3 of the cost of a ZL. Maybe someone local ish could let you try out a said ZL. Members here seem to go above and beyond for each other in this community :sunglasses:

Worse case, you don’t like, you could sell same day for pretty much what you paid.

Good luck , just be warned, zebras are happier in herds :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a high CRI version. (they come in more flavors than 4000).
The quality of the light is good. 5/5 stars.
It’s tiny, which is good. 5/5 stars.

That’t where my high ratings ends.
Usability is 3/5 at best.
It’s not possible to quickly remove it from the headband.
It has no magnet.
The clip works fine but feels like an afterthought in the design.

Worth the money? If it’s only used in it’s headband then the price is ok.
If used for more than that, the light is overpriced by about $20-30.
Good quality let down by medicore usability/design

EDIT: If you, unlike me, use very low settings the flicker may bother you (a lot).

Appreciate the intentions! It really does seem that I’ll just have to pick. I’ve got 4500k in the SC5w MK II. The yellow in it is definitely present, and I think I only tolerate it because it’s basically the only high power AA EDC I have found that didn’t have problems with drivers and switches. The quality is fantastic though. I may go with the 5700k just to shy away from the yellow. I’ve always liked 5700k tint as it’s the color of the sun. Too yellow and I’m reminded of old school tech like maglights and yellow incandescent bulbs.

I have a 4500K SC5w and a 4500K SC600w HI. The SC600w HI (Mk IV) is definitely warmer than the SC5w. So, if you find the SC5w too warm, you should probably get the 5700K. Personally, I really like the warm tint of the SC600w HI, but it doesn’t sound like you will.

I have been eyeballing THIS one for a bit… but have not been able to justify the price yet.

Never used a Zebralight, so dont really know if I would like the UI on it. Besides that, if it was half the price I would pull the trigger just to try it at that price

Wow! If I could get that without the frosted dome I’d go for that one! Though it’s the 50.2.

Thanks for giving me an idea of the HI’s tint. If it’s definitely warmer than the SC5w I’ll pass and stick to the 5700.

The Hi CRI, high lumens for a single emitter light this size, and frosted dome are kind of what draws me to it. I think it would make a really good beam pattern for most everyday uses.

Gotta go through my flashlights again and see what needs to stay and what can go. If I sell enough unused lights, I could possibly justify splurging on this.