Zebralight purchase input.

My only options now are the SC600w Plus MK IV with 80cri 4500k yellow or SC600F Plus MK IV with a 70cri 5700k white led.

Is it a problem to swap out the optic in these lights thru the bezel? I don’t see any tool slots to remove it.

It’s press fit.

OK it doesn’t look good…
It’s a press fit

Quote from another thread:

Thanks guys, now I think I need another zebralight……SC600Fd Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50 looks pretty awesome to me

Sorry if missed it, but would this not suit
http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-Mk-IV-Plus-18650-XHP502-Neutral-White-Flashlight_p_225.html

4500k xhp50.2 clear lens.

Pity they won’t sell it with a clear lens, then if we want floody we could just apply DC-Fix.

Quote from a review:

“As a result of the press fit bezel, which holds the frosted lens in, the bezel isn’t removable. The button is similarly press fit and is also not removable. Standard “not with that attitude” disclaimer – it’s probably possible but most if not all reports indicate that it’s not really possible to disassemble this light non-destructively.”

The review is of the previous version MkIII Plus (XHP50 5000K NW High CRI)

I think the only difference between Mk III Plus vs Mk IV Plus is a slight change in the UI?

Other things I learned from a quick read through it:

• Tint lottery “(slightly green)” :expressionless:
  • Lanyard ring attachment sticks out from the side :expressionless:
  • Frosting of the lens is on the inside :+1:
  • Switch is easy to locate without looking :+1:

It would be great if these had a tail magnet, and a true deep carry clip, but it’s probably close enough.

I do really like these lights from what I’m seeing, I think inevitably I’ll eventually become a Zebralight fan. :wink:

I think he wants HI CRI and is worried about the 4500K tint being too yellowish, so he wants 5000K:

Personally, spending this much money on one of these I’d absolutely want the HI CRI if its available (and it is) but like sovereignknight I’m not sure I’d want to give up all throw capability, Ideally if they would give us the clear lens then we could easily make it floody ourselves with DC-Fix, then it could be removed if we didn’t like it.

So Zebralight leaves us no choice but to go with a lower CRI.

I think I’ll settle for the stock SC600FD Mk IV Plus. I hope I will like the defused light. That even pattern of light is cool. I just don’t want to sacrifice a huge lumen loss by going frosted. I guess I won’t know unless I buy it. If I do go with it, I have heard reports of the frosted versions of the SC600 lights to have a high chance of the frosted lens getting broken, or being broken in shipping. I hope whatever was the cause of that has been addressed.

I do like how the diffuser spreads out the light, I think for general use that would be best.

It’s basically either a trade-off or a compromise. The notion of having both good flood and good throw in one light has long been pondered, and the only two real solutions are either a zoomie, or a multi-emitter light with both a long range emitter and floody emitters, both designs having their drawbacks and neither truly workable in such a small EDC as this.

So we settle for a compromise of flood and throw from a single reflector, or get either a throw orientated light or a flood orientated light. But to have a HI CRI XHP, zebralight limits us to the flood orientated light, which for the most part should be fine.

The beamshots I posted (post #64) are great but I’d love to see the same shots between the Fc (4000K) and Fd (5000K) instead.

Well at least you’ve made a decision, that’s more than I can say :person_facepalming:

I hope it works to your liking and looking forward to your feedback on it.

Yeah it’s sort of that light that sits in the middle I guess. It would be my first frosted light ever. That might not be a bad thing. I took the dog out a few minutes ago and was using my Acebeam K40M thinking… hmm… I could use some flood. LOL. I do have a Jaxman Z1 modded with the same Q0 5000K MT-G2 emitter used in my K40M, it’s zoom and flood but it requires two 26650 cells and this adds to a larger light. It’s 2,200 lumens. The SC600FD Plus MK IV is doing a miracle off of just one battery for it’s size. That’s pretty impressive. I am hoping that the frosted lens will actually put out more light than my zoomie with 2,200 lumens. I have heard you lose some lumens in a zoom light vs a reflector. I’ll have to see how the floods compare.

Hi cri is not always the best unfortunately, especially if over yellow as it just taints everything and makes the hi cri quite pointless imo. Example would be my sc5c mkII xp-l2 4000k hi cri. This was too yellow/coffee/pi55 stain for my liking. Yet the sc53w (xp-l2 4500k) which is still a bit yellow, is no where near as bad yet lower cri. I know its all subjective anyway, but just some thoughts from a someone who has many hi cri LED’s.
The xhp50(not .2) 5000k i have in the plus is quite nice, little towards yellow but nothing like the xp-l2’s. Also iirc the cri is around 80+, so its still fairly decent and lighter colours are not tainted like from the xp-l2 4k . Not too sure on the newer xhp50.2, i have not tried or felt the need to being honest.

Beam wise from the frosted lens is plenty bright and decent reaching. Of course flood bias, but with some focus in the centre(more concentrated area). Its a nice beam, no artefacts in any way as to be expected. I am sure part of(or maybe mostly) the reason ZL does not offer the clear lens on some xhp50/.2 is down to beam artefacts from the + die.

DC fix although good in many applications, it does reduce the output and ZL want max light emission from what i have read. ZL are about super compact, bright, light weight, clever efficient drivers. I think they have pulled it off well, they will never be best at everything……………….but pretty damn good at most.

For throw, xhp35 HI is the one, plus for flood have been my choices. Truthfully, for most of my type of uses i can use either or and get on just fine. I dont have too many over dedicated lights simply because it limits their use. Limited use means less value for me. Lights that suit more general of flood bias beams get most use overall.

You are correct. 90% of my light use is flood. I have some throw lights and they are neat, but to me overall it’s not as useful as flood or bright wide spill.

I’m going to pull the trigger and go for the SC600fd Plus Mk IV. Just have to decide if I want to buy it from Amazon or Zebralight.

I have the SC63w and love it but hate the knurl. It eats my jeans alive, I have it out 6 to 8 times a day and it shreds my pockets.

Look forward to you impressions, hoping you will be happy with your choice. Worst case you can sell on for little if any loss. Best case ……….could lead to a herd! :slight_smile:

:+1:

The SC63w had knurling? So you have a previous model and they changed it now?

Here’s the SC63w I’ve been looking at, (no knurling):
http://www.zebralight.com/SC63w-18650-XHP35-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_177.html

SC63 and SC64 use identical bodies and do not having any knurling.

That poster was probably talking about the SC600.

Heres a beam shot of my SC600Fd III Plus. It has the XHP50, not the 50.2

I love it! Should be the same thing! I just ordered it! Expensive! 1 SC600fd Plus MK IV and two flat top Panasonic NCR18650GA batteries with shipping set me back $136.00! Hopefully they both arrive at the same time! I hope I don’t get one with a busted glass lens. If I like it I might order 1 more as good things come in pairs! (It’s also nice to have a shiny new one in case I get the other one all dinged/scratched in use.)