Flashaholic vs The World

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Haggai
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/06/2011 - 04:05
Posts: 1012
Location: Israel
Flashaholic vs The World

The World: "WOW!! This light is fantastic! It's the brightest I've ever seen!"

Flashaholic: "It's just an iTP A3 R5, it's so dim..."

Real story, last week. Smile

My girlfriend's brother lost his car keys so a search operation started. It was dark, so everyone who had a light pulled out their 3 to 9 5mm LEDs flashlights and I used my iTP. I wish I had brought my Manafont XM-L with a flame Trustfire... Smile (The keys were later found in someone's bag, no one knows how they got there)

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 hours ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8864
Location: Eastern PA

Even my XML torches fail  to impress me any longer and they are the brightest I have...yet. I'm in for a lot of trouble...and fun! Cool

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

This phenomenon is well known.  I first experienced it when I was into building really fast cars, and now it's also showing up with my lights.  I was showing a neighbor my triple and 6-XML mag builds the other night and they were blown away, while I was certain that the batteries needed a charge because to me they looked rather dim....  Oh well, guess it's time for another big(ger) build.

Haggai
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/06/2011 - 04:05
Posts: 1012
Location: Israel

We really need that NZ2 PocketRocket, eh?

But even that wouldn't be enough Smile

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Match wrote:

This phenomenon is well known.  I first experienced it when I was into building really fast cars, and now it's also showing up with my lights.  I was showing a neighbor my triple and 6-XML mag builds the other night and they were blown away, while I was certain that the batteries needed a charge because to me they looked rather dim....  Oh well, guess it's time for another big(ger) build.

 

I can't wait. 

 

Still selling that one mod of yours?  Others for sale? 

PM me which ones and how much.

 

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

Piers
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/18/2011 - 20:31
Posts: 896
Location: Bolton, UK

Haggai wrote:
The keys were later found in someone's bag, no one knows how they got there

 

You're not fooling us you know!

 

We all know you hid them just so people would have to use flashlight to find them Silly

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

fishinfool wrote:

Still selling that one mod of yours?  Others for sale? 

PM me which ones and how much.

  Although I've sold a few of my mods now, it's not something I've really advertised...because, well... I have reasons, but not really any good ones...

oldbobk wrote:

 Match,

       Thought about it at all? I have, but not to the point of where I've done anything.

I have, but my aversion to HID may come from how such lights need to be treated.  For example, they don't like quick on and off operation and there are still bulbs to burn out.  One of these days I may try it out.  In the meantime, I've worked up the plans for a couple of very high output LED lights that I'd like to try and build in the near future...not really mods persay, but ground up builds over 9k and 21k L respectively.  

  As a follow-up to my previous post about getting used to bright lights and needing more, I think it begs the question:  How much is too much?  

Haggai
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/06/2011 - 04:05
Posts: 1012
Location: Israel

Piers wrote:

Haggai wrote:
The keys were later found in someone's bag, no one knows how they got there

 

You're not fooling us you know!

 

We all know you hid them just so people would have to use flashlight to find them Silly

LOL

No, not really. Smile

fishinfool
fishinfool's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/09/2010 - 00:30
Posts: 4342
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Match wrote:

fishinfool wrote:

Still selling that one mod of yours?  Others for sale? 

PM me which ones and how much.

  Although I've sold a few of my mods now, it's not something I've really advertised...because, well... I have reasons, but not really any good ones...

 

IMO there's nothing wrong with selling a mod for profit that you worked hard on making.  I'd do it if I had your skills--why not you?  PM me if you ever have something you want to get rid of to make room for your new stuff. 

Don wrote:

"But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion

Don
Don's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/12/2010 - 16:32
Posts: 6617
Location: Scotland

Match wrote:

  As a follow-up to my previous post about getting used to bright lights and needing more, I think it begs the question:  How much is too much?  

 

When the people on the next continent complain Wink

 

The numbers from my light tests are always to be found here.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApkFM37n_QnRdDU5MDNzOURjYllmZHI...