NiWalker Nova MiniMax MM15 2x Cree MT-G2 P0 5233lm LED 18650 Flashlight

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15006
Location: LI NY

Keep in mind, vinh is a dealer, so he makes money on just the sale, like a dealer would. This is why he can keep the mod price low on new lights he sells, not all, but ones he is signed up as a dealer for. Think he makes that clear in his posts.

For the buyers, of course, it's a good deal for the modding work, but he's still making his money on the mod and sale - it's his business.

Rod911
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/25/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 456
Location: Melbourne

It maybe too bright (!!!??what). I also don’t like the step-down feature. I think such a light is more for enthusiasts, and as such, the enthusiast should know when it’s time to turn down the light.

I’ll leave my bright, floody duty lights to my DRY and S6330vn lights. I am hoping to add a modded Yezl Y3 into that floody list (replacing XM-L2 with an MT-G2, which should give a good balance between flood and throw).

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15006
Location: LI NY

Rod - the Y3's pill top is 8 mm, 6 mm at the center where it dents in underneath, nice uni-body pill design, beauty for heat sinking. Ran mine for 12 mins on a FET based driver, figure about 5.5A with a XM-L2 on copper and it got pretty toasty though, slight smell of burning though I couldn't find anything burnt. Bottomline is just not enough mass for prolonged runs at such high amps, but difficult to find any light that can take that.

Rod911
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/25/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 456
Location: Melbourne

@ Tom E. Planning to mod the existing driver for 4A. It should put out around 2500 OTF lumens. Again, hoping to get some usability on the modded light should I wish to run it for extended periods of time.

On-topic – still a great price though. But I kind of having more diving lights on my list at the moment, so another reason for me to say no on this one. Smile

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 sec ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15006
Location: LI NY

Rod911 wrote:
@ Tom E. Planning to mod the existing driver for 4A. It should put out around 2500 OTF lumens. Again, hoping to get some usability on the modded light should I wish to run it for extended periods of time. On-topic - still a great price though. But I kind of having more diving lights on my list at the moment, so another reason for me to say no on this one. :)

I love the Y3's - well designed for the cost. Got 4 in right now - 2 to go out, 2 keeping for now. I'm doing my own e-switch custom FET driver for them though - one cell.

I followed the reviews/threads on the MiniMax. Got one on the way - will probably experiment with resistor modding it, plus usual tweaks to the battery carrier and wires, etc. It's a one-of-a-kind right now, for that much power flood, in such a small package. Not crazy bout the temp limited turbo mode though - maybe can find a way to fool the temp sensor... Smile

HKE's price on this light is the best around last I checked! Awesome deal! Plus a reputable dealer here for us.

blueb8llz
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2012 - 01:16
Posts: 3147
Location: California
Tom E wrote:

Rod911 wrote:
@ Tom E. Planning to mod the existing driver for 4A. It should put out around 2500 OTF lumens. Again, hoping to get some usability on the modded light should I wish to run it for extended periods of time. On-topic – still a great price though. But I kind of having more diving lights on my list at the moment, so another reason for me to say no on this one. Smile

I love the Y3’s – well designed for the cost. Got 4 in right now – 2 to go out, 2 keeping for now. I’m doing my own e-switch custom FET driver for them though – one cell.

I followed the reviews/threads on the MiniMax. Got one on the way – will probably experiment with resistor modding it, plus usual tweaks to the battery carrier and wires, etc. It’s a one-of-a-kind right now, for that much power flood, in such a small package. Not crazy bout the temp limited turbo mode though – maybe can find a way to fool the temp sensor… Smile

HKE’s price on this light is the best around last I checked! Awesome deal! Plus a reputable dealer here for us.

please keep us updated with your mods to this amazing light. but honestly even if you did fool the temp limited on turbo, i doubt it would do much good because the light would just be waaaaay too hold to hold anyways. unless you use the handle, but now you risk frying up the internals.
i hear you can always turn it off, and run it on turbo again though.

Slewflash
Slewflash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/05/2012 - 08:43
Posts: 1977
Location: Australia, Melbourne
LSX wrote:
Has anyone done any beamshot comparisons between this and the FF4. As much as I want one I’m having a hard time trying to justify it given I already have an FF4, because let’s face it neither would be used for much more than showing off. Haha

The FF4 has 200+kcd while this has around 20kcd.
This is more of a flood monster while the FF4 is more of a thrower.

Slewflash 

The Burgh
The Burgh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 18:12
Posts: 378
Location: Great Pacific Northwest, USA

Stock MM15 (at HK Equipment’s fantastic price, or not).

MM15 modded by Vinh (dome/dedome, current boost or not, tweaks to carrier/springs or not)

MM15 modded by owner.

Another competitive flooder (although there are few currently, stock or modded).

Wait for another “king of the hill.”

Ain’t choices grand in our hobby!!!

There will always be more darkness than I have lights.

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia
Slewflash wrote:
LSX wrote:
Has anyone done any beamshot comparisons between this and the FF4. As much as I want one I’m having a hard time trying to justify it given I already have an FF4, because let’s face it neither would be used for much more than showing off. Haha

The FF4 has 200+kcd while this has around 20kcd.
This is more of a flood monster while the FF4 is more of a thrower.

I though that would be the case, I was more curious though because doesn’t the FF4 also put out some 7000 lumens?

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3580
Location: Calif

Let me air it out: I wished I would never have seen this offer. I keep checking the site, HOPING they are all sold out, that would solve my dilemma. I have about 30 lights after 3 years. I have no multiple emitter lights, and my most expensive light was like $65. And I want this light badly. Don’t know why, it’s just another light. But it would be $200 as I need cells also. Am I insane to spend $200 on a another flashlight, on this one? What could I get instead for $200? Quite a bit. I could get the Mountain M6 (but it’s more a thrower), and a Sunwayman D40A for $50 and have a lot left over. I have said YES and NO to this light so many times. Will logic and rationality win out? I don’t know. Hoping they run out still. What would I do with this thing???? I have read all the reviews on this light. I can well afford it, THAT is not the issue. Logic is. Is it logical? I have a light ‘on the way’ and I’m thinking of ordering another? What is the matter with me? I keep saying “ok, just this one more and then call it quits!” Nobody helps, you ALL just feed the addiction, if that is what it is.

This must end. It will either end with a purchase, or by them all being sold out.

(Selfbuilt will be doing reviews on this light, as he has received a manufacturer copy, and this light modded by vinh as he has received a couple of those as well. I believe they will be ready in around a week according to his post.)

another thought: if I got rid of my computer that would put an end to this sickness as well.

peace….

DayLighter
DayLighter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 11/29/2012 - 01:22
Posts: 2829
Location: New York City

saypat wrote:
Let me air it out: I wished I would never have seen this offer. I keep checking the site, HOPING they are all sold out, that would solve my dilemma. I have about 30 lights after 3 years. I have no multiple emitter lights, and my most expensive light was like $65. And I want this light badly. Don’t know why, it’s just another light. But it would be $200 as I need cells also. Am I insane to spend $200 on a another flashlight, on this one? What could I get instead for $200? Quite a bit. I could get the Mountain M6 (but it’s more a thrower), and a Sunwayman D40A for $50 and have a lot left over. I have said YES and NO to this light so many times. Will logic and rationality win out? I don’t know. Hoping they run out still. What would I do with this thing???? I have read all the reviews on this light. I can well afford it, THAT is not the issue. Logic is. Is it logical? I have a light ‘on the way’ and I’m thinking of ordering another? What is the matter with me? I keep saying “ok, just this one more and then call it quits!” Nobody helps, you ALL just feed the addiction, if that is what it is.

This must end. It will either end with a purchase, or by them all being sold out.

(Selfbuilt will be doing reviews on this light, as he has received a manufacturer copy, and this light modded by vinh as he has received a couple of those as well. I believe they will be ready in around a week according to his post.)
put an end to this sickness as well.

peace….

I hear you and I feel your “pain”, but here’s the messages from Niwalker:

WE ARE THE BORG. LOWER YOUR SHIELDS AND SURRENDER . WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR CULTURE WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

The only way to do a great work is to love what you do.

The Burgh
The Burgh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 18:12
Posts: 378
Location: Great Pacific Northwest, USA

“Nobody helps, you ALL just feed the addiction, if that is what it is.” (saypat)

I commiserate, Brother!

I did attend one meeting of FA (Flashaholics Anonymous), but all we did was recite the 12 Top Light Manufacturers, each told their own history of acquisitions, then broke into discussions of all the lights we were about to buy, mod and trade.

The meeting was sponsored by PayPal.

There will always be more darkness than I have lights.

tatasal
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5657
Location: Far East

saypat wrote:
Let me air it out: I wished I would never have seen this offer. I keep checking the site, HOPING they are all sold out, that would solve my dilemma. I have about 30 lights after 3 years. I have no multiple emitter lights, and my most expensive light was like $65. And I want this light badly. Don’t know why, it’s just another light. But it would be $200 as I need cells also. Am I insane to spend $200 on a another flashlight, on this one? What could I get instead for $200? Quite a bit. I could get the Mountain M6 (but it’s more a thrower), and a Sunwayman D40A for $50 and have a lot left over. I have said YES and NO to this light so many times. Will logic and rationality win out? I don’t know. Hoping they run out still. What would I do with this thing???? I have read all the reviews on this light. I can well afford it, THAT is not the issue. Logic is. Is it logical? I have a light ‘on the way’ and I’m thinking of ordering another? What is the matter with me? I keep saying “ok, just this one more and then call it quits!” Nobody helps, you ALL just feed the addiction, if that is what it is.

This must end. It will either end with a purchase, or by them all being sold out.

(Selfbuilt will be doing reviews on this light, as he has received a manufacturer copy, and this light modded by vinh as he has received a couple of those as well. I believe they will be ready in around a week according to his post.)

another thought: if I got rid of my computer that would put an end to this sickness as well.

peace….

I believe I no longer have that same dilemma like what you are ‘suffering’ from now….How, you may ask?
Well, I simply imagine that I already own THAT light, and it has been with me for one week. Will I still be that excited to use THAT light tonight, will I still be that excited even just to take a look at it? Will it really be THAT something special compared to the other lights you are having/keeping now? (of which the most that you use is ONLY the one you EDC)

If the answers to those questions are all yes, maybe, just maybe, it’s time to buy that light.

LSX
LSX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 08:38
Posts: 1456
Location: Perth, Australia

I usually just buy it, receive it and only then think about whether I should have bought it. But by that stage it’s too late to decide not too. Haha

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3580
Location: Calif

The Burgh wrote:
“Nobody helps, you ALL just feed the addiction, if that is what it is.” (saypat)

I commiserate, Brother!

I did attend one meeting of FA (Flashaholics Anonymous), but all we did was recite the 12 Top Light Manufacturers, each told their own history of acquisitions, then broke into discussions of all the lights we were about to buy, mod and trade.

The meeting was sponsored by PayPal.

too funny Burgh.

just checked tracking and my $11 Convoy S2+ will be arriving in the next few days. Maybe that will satiate my thirst. Am I kidding? I think I am like a woman, I don’t need it, but if it’s on sale I’ll buy it!

Slewflash
Slewflash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/05/2012 - 08:43
Posts: 1977
Location: Australia, Melbourne
LSX wrote:
Slewflash wrote:
LSX wrote:
Has anyone done any beamshot comparisons between this and the FF4. As much as I want one I’m having a hard time trying to justify it given I already have an FF4, because let’s face it neither would be used for much more than showing off. Haha

The FF4 has 200+kcd while this has around 20kcd.
This is more of a flood monster while the FF4 is more of a thrower.

I though that would be the case, I was more curious though because doesn’t the FF4 also put out some 7000 lumens?

Yes the FF4 has around 7000 lumens. However, you need a 4x increase in lumens to perceive a 2x increase in brightness. You’d definitely be able to see the brightness difference, but it wouldn’t be too much. Not to mention the MTG-2 is the most efficient emitter on the market right now. Also it doesn’t have warm up time so if you’re the type to turn on your light to check a noise outside HID is definitely not the way to go.

Slewflash 

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 880

You’d see the difference easily but not because FF4 has more lumens but because it’s throwier. To human eyes focused beam appears brighter than the floody one.

skyrider1
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/18/2012 - 21:54
Posts: 762
Location: USA

Just got this light in. First impression is it’s very small. Installing the handle is a bit difficult because the integrated battery carrier blocks the allen wrench from fully spinning.

Also not sure if mines a defect but I have quite a bit of wobble on the handle. The screws bottom out before it tightens on the handle so there is a ton of wobble.

aoeu
aoeu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/16/2014 - 04:44
Posts: 793
Location: Sydney, Australia

Not ideal but a few very small washers should fix that. Or you could grind down the screw and clean up the threads .

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3580
Location: Calif

skyrider1 wrote:
Just got this light in. First impression is it’s very small. Installing the handle is a bit difficult because the integrated battery carrier blocks the allen wrench from fully spinning.

Also not sure if mines a defect but I have quite a bit of wobble on the handle. The screws bottom out before it tightens on the handle so there is a ton of wobble.

they started the thread on the 3rd, so if you ordered then, it only took 7 days to get here??? OK, it’s small and the handle is weird, I’m waiting for MORE, like those tandem MT-G2s! It took everything I had to resist purchasing this light. MORE please, thank you….

skyrider1
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/18/2012 - 21:54
Posts: 762
Location: USA

Shipping from hkequipment was very fast. I didn’t think it would be here so soon and I think I might have ordered a day or two after this thread was created too. Less than 7 days from HK to the west coast.

It is quite bright but I have not really tested it out much, still light out. The light gets warm very quickly on turbo. Heat coming out of the front end is also quite warm. The electronic switch is a bit mushy and doesn’t activate the light everytime its clicked. You need to push firmly for a connection. I wish the handle didn’t stick as far out, they should have kept it closer to the 2nd prototype but with just a little more room for fingers/gloves.

I personally think the second prototype had a good mount for the handle. It seemed sturdy and simple to take on and off. The way the handle is mounted now does not seem as sturdy and is a bit of a hassle with the included allen wrench. Here is a picture of some washers I found. I wanted to find something smaller to fit into the handle holes but didn’t have anything. With it installed the way I have it, the body tube tightens onto the handle and isn’t spinning closed as far it goes without the handle installed. Also a few pictures with a p60 light for comparison.

 photo A7D90DCA-1EC5-4117-8379-FFC5706F7EB0-6765-00000AF8B3BF80C0_zps4c4b08b7.jpg
 photo 4BA5E464-C052-4136-943D-961B4EF644D2-6765-00000AF7DD4E4729_zps2014fd02.jpg
 photo DBE54061-8FDD-4050-BDD1-73541FB3AC87-6765-00000AF8B7F2F3DE_zps0ba3a093.jpg

The Burgh
The Burgh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 18:12
Posts: 378
Location: Great Pacific Northwest, USA

I can tell all that it is a real chore getting double-wrap protected batteries into the non-removable carrier. Yes, length was a chore, but doable. The width is more challenging.

I tore the black covers on two black EVVA 3400s.

There will always be more darkness than I have lights.

dazed1
dazed1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 05/31/2013 - 11:16
Posts: 1557

Please someone answer.

1. Would Panasonic PF 2900 mah be better choice for this light compared to Panas green 3400 mah protected? (would both types fit?)

2. How much is the runtime before stepdown on turbo?

3. How is the heat management?

4. How much was the price when the light was in stock?

Thanks.

Fenix TK61 MOD> resistor, transistors, copper heatsink, Artic Cooling MX4, dedome, 3A > 5.7A ~ 1700 lumens > (600.000cd)

skyrider1
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 11/18/2012 - 21:54
Posts: 762
Location: USA

Yea I also tore the outside layer of a protected pana3400. The lip of the head where the battery slides across is a little sharp.

Anyone else have problems with the handle being loose? Am I doing something wrong? I’d prefer not to need the washers every time I take on and off the handle.

dazed1
dazed1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 05/31/2013 - 11:16
Posts: 1557

Can anyone please tell me coupon codes for general items on HKE? like one for all, i want to get some batteries and this light.

Fenix TK61 MOD> resistor, transistors, copper heatsink, Artic Cooling MX4, dedome, 3A > 5.7A ~ 1700 lumens > (600.000cd)

dazed1
dazed1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 05/31/2013 - 11:16
Posts: 1557

RedForest UK wrote:

Bear in mind that this 5hr plus at 2000 OTF lumens is on only 2200mah cells as well and you get an idea of just how much of a game changing leap in efficiency this is.

Hey man, all i see is 400 lumen for 330 minutes. Where do you see 2000 lumen for 5h plus? the top of the graph is stating 800lm.

Fenix TK61 MOD> resistor, transistors, copper heatsink, Artic Cooling MX4, dedome, 3A > 5.7A ~ 1700 lumens > (600.000cd)

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA

Relative overall light output. Not lumens.

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 8821
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

Hey Guys!

in the german TLF some MM15 Owners had to smoothen the edges in the battery-Carrier with a file to prevent damaging them!

PLEASE NOTE
i do not work in "reviews, deals and codes" for the time being
maybe M4D M4X will return one day, but until then:

THANK YOU FOR YEARS OF YOUR SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY CONTACTS!

Essexman
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 28 sec ago
Joined: 01/30/2011 - 18:18
Posts: 707
Location: UK
dazed1 wrote:
Can anyone please tell me coupon codes for general items on HKE? like one for all, i want to get some batteries and this light.

Just drop HKE and email asking for the bet price on light and batts combo, I’m sure they will see you right.

dazed1
dazed1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 05/31/2013 - 11:16
Posts: 1557
unknown00101 wrote:
Relative overall light output. Not lumens.

Doh! now its all clear Big Smile

Fenix TK61 MOD> resistor, transistors, copper heatsink, Artic Cooling MX4, dedome, 3A > 5.7A ~ 1700 lumens > (600.000cd)

Pages