[07-MAR-2016] Current status of BLF upgrade process

777 posts / 0 new
Last post
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.


why did it work before but not now?

It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.


i meant before the upgrade

It’s different code now after the upgrade, and there is an unfixed bug which will probably never get fixed.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

1dash1
1dash1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 08/29/2015 - 22:02
Posts: 1576
Location: Hilo, Hawaii

sb56637 wrote:

Things remaining to do:
  1. Tweak the theme, text too small
  2. Enable sending emails / re-enable new user registrations, which are currently disabled
  3. Optimize for performance
  4. Configure a quick temporary system for email notifications on new posts
  5. Re-create the BLF community moderated spam controls
  6. Gradually enable relevant smileys (one by one…)
  7. Add functionality to views lists (and search?) of a user’s posts
  8. Figure out how to add the “Location” field to post author details-
  9. Re-create the BLF email notification system
  10. Mouseover image button for Simple Post Editor

I don’t see the ability to quote the OP on your list.

Is that not possible?

Otherwise it is a PITB re-creating the original text, like I did above.

Or trying to decipher what the OP is talking about, as in the previously mentioned: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45353

Rule 1-1 as it applies to life, take it as it comes.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light
wight wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.
In what way did the fix break images? It seems like automatically picking out images should be easy since the string starts with a “!” symbol.

The fix requires filtering for links that start with http:// before interpreting the “Textile” markup format. So it ends up seeing a Textile marked-up image link that looks something like… !<a href="http://example.com/image.jpg">! … which is wrong for Textile.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

1dash1 wrote:
sb56637 wrote:

Things remaining to do:
  1. Tweak the theme, text too small
  2. Enable sending emails / re-enable new user registrations, which are currently disabled
  3. Optimize for performance
  4. Configure a quick temporary system for email notifications on new posts
  5. Re-create the BLF community moderated spam controls
  6. Gradually enable relevant smileys (one by one…)
  7. Add functionality to views lists (and search?) of a user’s posts
  8. Figure out how to add the “Location” field to post author details-
  9. Re-create the BLF email notification system
  10. Mouseover image button for Simple Post Editor

I don’t see the ability to quote the OP on your list.

Is that not possible?

Unfortunately no.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10638
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

The simplified syntax for links or images may have varying results… but writing them as regular HTML consistently works. And I greatly appreciate the way the forum allows HTML in posts; it can really make a huge difference in how expressive the posts can be.

I treat BLF’s Textile (simple post editor) format as basically the same as HTML, except that newlines get converted to <br /> tags so it’s not necessary to manually put in all the paragraph or linebreak tags. And I don’t need to remember yet another markup language in order to post here, since I can just use standard HTML. Oh, and the Textile quote tag… I use that one too. Very useful.

Most comments are fine with no extra markup, or with only images and links, maybe even light use of italic or bold. These are all pretty simple in HTML. It’s nice having the option to get fancier though, on occasion.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7469
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.


why did it work before but not now?

It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.


i meant before the upgrade

It’s different code now after the upgrade, and there is an unfixed bug which will probably never get fixed.


what?
are these forum software people on glue?

headache, dizziness and nausea are the least of their concerns >:-/

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10638
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Bort wrote:
are these forum software people on glue?

Worse. They’re on PHP. Smile

But seriously, Drupal isn’t primarily intended as a forum platform. It’s a complex, full-featured web app framework originally designed as a content management and publishing system, and it just happens to have a forum module which can be plugged in. It’s very … complicated. Some things are easy to change or fix, others are a bottomless rabbit hole, and it’s not easy to predict which will be which.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10638
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
are these forum software people on glue?
Worse. They’re on PHP. Smile

At least they’re not on the latest new drug. They call it being “on rails”. Smile

Okay, Ruby on Rails isn’t really so bad. Clever design, and spurred some useful discussions elsewhere in its field. It’s just led by a rather, um, opinionated developer whose official stance toward everyone except himself is a phrase which violates BLF’s policy on obscenity.

Dangit, I’m doing it again. Off-topic rambling. I thought I was getting better about that. Maybe the time tracker thingie I just made will help me avoid these things.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7469
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

ToyKeeper wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
are these forum software people on glue?
Worse. They’re on PHP. Smile

At least they’re not on the latest new drug. They call it being “on rails”. Smile

Okay, Ruby on Rails isn’t really so bad. Clever design, and spurred some useful discussions elsewhere in its field. It’s just led by a rather, um, opinionated developer whose official stance toward everyone except himself is a phrase which violates BLF’s policy on obscenity.

Dangit, I’m doing it again. Off-topic rambling. I thought I was getting better about that. Maybe the time tracker thingie I just made will help me avoid these things.


Educational rambling is welcomed Big Smile Beer

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

Some people ramble and what you come away with from reading their posts is not a whole lot of anything interesting. But I don’t recall that ever happening with your posts. Maybe for someone with zero interest in linux or programing. But they’ll live! Some of the best stuff I’ve read on BLF has been completely off-topic. Off-topic is not evil here. Don’t feel the need to avoid “rambling”.

jack-bkk
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/15/2015 - 01:29
Posts: 436
Location: Bangkok

forum search ???

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

jack-bkk wrote:
forum search ???

Elaborate?
As far as I can see the little google search box is up in the corner where it has always been.
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10638
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

jack-bkk wrote:
forum search ???

There’s a site-wide search widget at the top left of each page, a per-thread one at the top of each thread page, and two per-user ones on each user profile. How many more are needed?
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light
jack-bkk wrote:
forum search ???

If you don’t see a search box in the top left bar above the “Main Menu” it’s probably because you have an ad blocker running. BTW that’s not a trick of mine to force people to disable their ad blockers, it’s just an element that happens to get blocked by many of the default ad blocker lists due to its Google origins.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

wight
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

LOL, interesting.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7469
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

this may sound incredibly simplistic, but is there a way to make links automatically become
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

wight
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

this may sound incredibly simplistic, but is there a way to make links automatically become
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html
That’s what SB is diligently working on in the posts right above yours! Smile

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

this may sound incredibly simplistic, but is there a way to make links automatically become
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html
Weren’t we just over this, like a couple posts up? Bort is losing his memory. I think it’s from too much coke.
Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 13 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7469
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

wight wrote:
Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

this may sound incredibly simplistic, but is there a way to make links automatically become
http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html
That’s what SB is diligently working on in the posts right above yours! Smile

Its the aspartame in coke zero i tell you (once mouseover is fixed coke zero will appear in my signature)
It looks like SB pasted a link, while i pasted a link as a link with the text being the link

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

Nope, sorry, but I really can’t find a way to work around the broken links with many-dashes-in-them. Please just make the text and the link the same for those troublesome links, as Bort did above:

"http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2x18650-p-998532.html":http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2x18650-p-998532.html

…becomes…

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

But with Advanced Post Editor, just pasting the link results in:

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2x18650-p-998532.html

 

The Advanced Post Editor IMHO is consistently better, so everyone should be using it by default.  smile wink

SB, what do you think about this suggestion?

 

Best Regards,

George 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light
keengeorge wrote:

But with Advanced Post Editor, just pasting the link results in:


http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html


 


The Advanced Post Editor IMHO is consistently better, so everyone should be using it by default.  smile wink


SB, what do you think about this suggestion?


 


Best Regards,


George 

Unfortunately it’s not good for mobile / touch device users, of which we have a large percentage, so not a good default.

I would strongly encourage everyone to use the “Simple Post Editor” for everything except posts and reviews that need very complex formatting.

And sorry I didn’t answer your previous post yet about selecting the default editor in the user preferences. I’ve researched it extensively, and there is definitely not an easy or straightforward way to do that.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

sb56637 wrote:
keengeorge wrote:

But with Advanced Post Editor, just pasting the link results in:

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2x18650-p-998532.html

 

The Advanced Post Editor IMHO is consistently better, so everyone should be using it by default.  smile wink

SB, what do you think about this suggestion?

 

Best Regards,

George 

Unfortunately it's not good for mobile / touch device users, of which we have a large percentage, so not a good default. I would strongly encourage everyone to use the "Simple Post Editor" for everything except posts and reviews that need very complex formatting. And sorry I didn't answer your previous post yet about selecting the default editor in the user preferences. I've researched it extensively, and there is definitely not an easy or straightforward way to do that.

But we know that your magic is MOST POWERFUL  wink

 

Best Regards,

George

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

Update: 07-MAR-2016

  • Added user account settings for “Use the Advanced Post Editor for new threads” and “Use the Advanced Post Editor in existing threads”. This preference is served by a janky Javascript call, so please let me know if you run into any oddities.

As mentioned previously, I would strongly recommend using the Simple Post Editor for everything except highly complex posts that need a lot of formatting, so this option to use the Advanced Post Editor by default is not recommended.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

sb56637 wrote:
Update: 07-MAR-2016
  • Added user account settings for “Use the Advanced Post Editor for new threads” and “Use the Advanced Post Editor in existing threads”. This preference is served by a janky Javascript call, so please let me know if you run into any oddities.

WOW SB, Thank you VERY MUCH. GREATLY APPRECIATED. Big Smile Beer

Btw, I set my preferences to use the Advanced Post Editor, But when I quoted your post my reply switched to the Simple Post Editor. Crying
I suspect that if the quoted post was generated with the Simple Editor, it switches to it, Or?

Best Regards,
George

Edit:
Tested again, & now it uses the Advanced Editor, but the quoted post is mangled. Wink

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6931
Location: The Light

keengeorge wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
**Update: 07-MAR-2016** * Added user account settings for _"Use the Advanced Post Editor for new threads"_ and _"Use the Advanced Post Editor in existing threads"_. This preference is served by a janky Javascript call, so please let me know if you run into any oddities.
WOW SB, Thank you VERY MUCH. GREATLY APPRECIATED. Big Smile Beer Btw, I set my preferences to use the Advanced Post Editor, But when I quoted your post my reply switched to the Simple Post Editor. Crying I suspect that if the quoted post was generated with the Simple Editor, it switches to it, Or? Best Regards, George

Oops, should be fixed now.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

 Tested again, & now it uses the Advanced Editor, but the quoted post is mangled. Wink

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

keengeorge wrote:

sb56637 wrote:
keengeorge wrote:

But with Advanced Post Editor, just pasting the link results in:

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2x18650-p-998532.html

 

The Advanced Post Editor IMHO is consistently better, so everyone should be using it by default.  smile wink

SB, what do you think about this suggestion?

 

Best Regards,

George 

Unfortunately it's not good for mobile / touch device users, of which we have a large percentage, so not a good default. I would strongly encourage everyone to use the "Simple Post Editor" for everything except posts and reviews that need very complex formatting. And sorry I didn't answer your previous post yet about selecting the default editor in the user preferences. I've researched it extensively, and there is definitely not an easy or straightforward way to do that.

But we know that your magic is MOST POWERFUL  wink

 

Best Regards,

George

But when I quote a post generated with the Advanced editor it is OK

 

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

keengeorge wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
**Update: 07-MAR-2016** * Added user account settings for _"Use the Advanced Post Editor for new threads"_ and _"Use the Advanced Post Editor in existing threads"_. This preference is served by a janky Javascript call, so please let me know if you run into any oddities.
WOW SB, Thank you VERY MUCH. GREATLY APPRECIATED. Big Smile Beer Btw, I set my preferences to use the Advanced Post Editor, But when I quoted your post my reply switched to the Simple Post Editor. Crying I suspect that if the quoted post was generated with the Simple Editor, it switches to it, Or? Best Regards, George +Edit+: Tested again, & now it uses the Advanced Editor, but the quoted post is mangled. ;)

Example of quoted post that had been generated with Simple Editor being mangled

Pages