Help me choose: olight s2 baton or zebralight sc63

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
MiG0
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/28/2016 - 04:56
Posts: 127

What about Zebralight SC62w? Now on sale for $75. Superb regulation including PID, accepts protected batteries.

Yosue
Yosue's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2016 - 22:49
Posts: 40
Location: Maracaibo - Venezuela

Firelight2 wrote:
djburkes wrote:
Firelight2 wrote:
Biggest difference is the SC63w is much larger and brighter than S2.

If you’re comfortable carrying a slightly larger light in your pocket then the SC63w is probably the better choice. If you want something as small as possible for your pocket or keychain then the S2 will be better.

Olight S2
Width: 23mm
Length: 100mm

Zebralight SC63
Width: 24.5mm
Length: 92.5mm

The Zebralight is only wider by 1.5mm and it’s shorter than the S2. The S2 is not a keychain light, it takes an 18650 just like the Zebralight does.

Oops! I was mixing up the Olight with the 1xCR123 version of the baton.

Comparing the Olight S2 18650 to the Zebralight SC63w I recommend the Zebralight. It’s more compact and a better light.

If you’re willing to go with something larger, get the Zebralight SC600w III HI. It’s the best Zebralight ever and probably the best unmodified light I’ve ever owned. It features:

  • Excellent knurling. Feels like a million bucks in the hand.
  • Short enough for pocket EDC (at least in my pockets) though definitely larger than an SC63
  • Excellent output. Stays close to max output far longer than the SC63. The SC63 will start ramping down fairly rapidly due to heat (both lights have PID thermal sensors). The SC600 III HI stays near maximum indefinitely even when tailstanding due to the extra mass and deeper heatsink fins.
  • Superior tint to the SC63w
  • Much superior throw. The SC600w III HI has more throw than any other Zebralight (approximately 19,000 lux).

I saw that one too but the head ita kind of big for wearing in my front pocket. But im sure is as good as you say

Thanks

Yosue
Yosue's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/28/2016 - 22:49
Posts: 40
Location: Maracaibo - Venezuela
MiG0 wrote:
What about Zebralight SC62w? Now on sale for $75. Superb regulation including PID, accepts protected batteries.

Good advice!

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3335
Location: Pennsylvania
Yosue wrote:
MiG0 wrote:
What about Zebralight SC62w? Now on sale for $75. Superb regulation including PID, accepts protected batteries.

Good advice!

Quote taken from a post by member Firelight2 in another thread about the DQG: (Post #9 in this thread: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/43339)

Firelight2 wrote:
I received my DQG Tiny 4. Beautiful light. I love it! Love The anodizing is perfect.

This is a beautiful light right out of the box even without modding. I own multiple DQG 18650 lights, including the Tiny 1, 3 and now 4. This is the first one that I would consider carrying unmodded …. very rare for me since I usually only carry modded lights. This light is just that good. Unmodded I like this light even more than my Zebralight SC62w … a light that costs over 3x as much.

 

beam0
beam0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 12/20/2011 - 23:18
Posts: 3335
Location: Pennsylvania

Firelight2 wrote:
If you’re willing to go with something larger, get the Zebralight SC600w III HI. It’s the best Zebralight ever and probably the best unmodified light I’ve ever owned. It features:
  • Excellent knurling. Feels like a million bucks in the hand.
  • Short enough for pocket EDC (at least in my pockets) though definitely larger than an SC63
  • Excellent output. Stays close to max output far longer than the SC63. The SC63 will start ramping down fairly rapidly due to heat (both lights have PID thermal sensors). The SC600 III HI stays near maximum indefinitely even when tailstanding due to the extra mass and deeper heatsink fins.
  • Superior tint to the SC63w
  • Much superior throw. The SC600w III HI has more throw than any other Zebralight (approximately 19,000 lux).
Thanks, this sure got me looking into the SC600 III HI!

I like the UI it’s very similar to the DQG but for me maybe even better because I like the quickest way to high or turbo and this has it with the 1st click! or press & hold for low.

Zebralight SC600w III HI Basic Operation:
One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.

—-
I was pretty much sold on the “million dollar knurling” Smile but also:

1126Lm
Better throw
Better tint than SC63w
High mode doesn’t step down fast

Plus it has (2.7V) low voltage cutoff for unprotected battery so I can use my beloved 18650GA raised flat tops.

What’s not to love here? (except the price Cash haha) Seriously though I think I’d really like one of these. It would be awesome if it had a magnetic tail, seems like the flat tail would have been perfect for that.

Seems kind of hard to find these though, I did find a shop I deal with that has one left, but I’d have to wait a bit before I could buy one.

Also I have to wonder how the tint would be on CW version, at 5700k seems pretty near a NW (plus with 1300lm max you’d have the extra output) I actually prefer my NW’s closer to the CW end of the spectrum, around 5k, however 5700 may be a bit too cool. I really like NW when they are pretty much “pure white” I probably wouldn’t love the 4500k if it was to yellowish (like I’ve read about some other ZL NW models).

 

RotorHead64
RotorHead64's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/31/2015 - 02:49
Posts: 430
Location: United States

Aluminum X5

.

Pages