King Kong 26650 is HARDCORE! 4525mAh and it's first cycle only!

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

I wonder if those MNKE IMR-26650, can hit the 20A and still give 3800mAh.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

20 amps, the springs, switch and components would smoke first probably...heh.  

 Actually > 5A it is already not in the realm of budget lights already, but stuff like Elektrolumens, Lambda, HID searchlights with relays built in for switching.  (my HID has a 10A rated relay in it)

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

There would definitely be serious problems for something like that. However I'm interested to know what that battery can do.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

20A is quite a big current, as far as I know they handle correctly  SST-90 DD which is around 10A.

mitro
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/25/2011 - 11:58
Posts: 707
Location: Montgomery, IL USA

Stephen Wallace wrote:

Just a heads up - when I click on the graph to get a larger image, I actually get an image of 5A Callie Kustoms 3100mAh discharge curves.

My apologies. I fixed the link.
Stephen Wallace
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/25/2011 - 11:03
Posts: 221
Location: London, UK

Thanks.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Sorry for annoying you again, my friend tested the  protected pana 18650, but his charger cuts voltage at 3.35V which is not what I understand it should, and there is no way to modify the parameters manually, you can only place the battery chemestry and that is all, it starts discharging at 1A.

Would you let me know of a good charger where he could modify it manually?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the off topic.

Stephen Wallace
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/25/2011 - 11:03
Posts: 221
Location: London, UK

I would highly recommend the Jun-Si iCharger range of chargers. 

aoighean
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/11/2011 - 18:14
Posts: 20
Location: edinburgh

thanks for this review

i was just about to buy some new 18650 for my bike light pack

i was considering the Panasonic NCR18650A but for 10 cells my battery pack was a touch expensive when i saw the king kongs

and then found this review i know these are larger cells in dia at least

with the larger capacity i could cut down the amount of cells and related components

i could cut my pack down to 8 cells just have to consider the size but you have given me another option to consider

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

aoighean wrote:

i was considering the Panasonic NCR18650A but for 10 cells my battery pack was a touch expensive when i saw the king kongs

and then found this review i know these are larger cells in dia at least

with the larger capacity i could cut down the amount of cells and related components

i could cut my pack down to 8 cells just have to consider the size but you have given me another option to consider

Is there any reason why you can't use SLA for bike lights? Voltage?  They are so much more cost effective and have the capacity as well.  Just that they are a bit heavier, but relative to your body weight i think it's not that bad.  Unless if you are into racing.

aoighean
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/11/2011 - 18:14
Posts: 20
Location: edinburgh

sorry not sure what SLA is

at the moment the lights are run off 2* 2p2s 18650 config just now but with the long nights and dark mornings i am looking to increase the run time and also run both the rear and front from a single pack the idea was to have each pair conected to it's own pcb to help with ballancing mutli cell pack

i used to run a set of the ever ready bike likghts with a 12v sealed battery and that was a beast but gave amazing run time

Stephen Wallace
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/25/2011 - 11:03
Posts: 221
Location: London, UK

SLA = sealed lead acid

Probably the same as the sealed battery you said you had used previously.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Stephen Wallace wrote:

I would highly recommend the Jun-Si iCharger range of chargers. 

Hello Stephen, 

Would you let me know which one would you exactly recommend?

Did you check the discharge tests to be able to asure it will discharge down to 2.5-2.6V?

aoighean
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 1 month ago
Joined: 11/11/2011 - 18:14
Posts: 20
Location: edinburgh

yea the same type thanks

however the lights run on 7.4v packs so i would have to drop the volts

and the sla is a bit to heavy to be lugging aroung on a push bike even a small one compaired to li ion

sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread either

and thank to the op for a great review

Stephen Wallace
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/25/2011 - 11:03
Posts: 221
Location: London, UK

yavi wrote:

Stephen Wallace wrote:

I would highly recommend the Jun-Si iCharger range of chargers. 

Hello Stephen, 

Would you let me know which one would you exactly recommend?

Did you check the discharge tests to be able to asure it will discharge down to 2.5-2.6V?

I have the base model - currently the 106B+ - and that does everything I need it to. It'll charge up to six li-ion cells in series. It'll also allow you to reduce the discharge end voltage below 3.0v, and adjust the charge end voltage above 4.2v.

You really don't need much more than that unless you need to charge a higher number of cells in series, or want a charger that stores your charge/discharge info without being attached to a PC, or have some other specific need that the 106B+ does not meet.

If you were looking for a better model, I'd probably go with the 208B. This has higher charge and discharge rates, higher built in discharge power capacity, 8S li-ion capacity, wider input voltage range, and stores log files. I would have purchased this model myself had I had the money at the time.

 

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

It is also interesting to store the data of the discharges, so with yours I undertand you can connect it via USB to discharge the graphs to the pc.

Stephen Wallace
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/25/2011 - 11:03
Posts: 221
Location: London, UK

Yes, the 106B+ will provide data to a PC in real time via a USB cable. You can charge or discharge cells without being linked to a PC, but the data won't be saved. 

The 206B and 208B both have some onboard memory, allowing them to save charge and discharge data when not attached to a PC. 

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Thanks a lot Stephen I owe you an XM-L U3 or something Smile

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

2nd piece of KK 26650 i got 4533mAh, 1A, discharged to 2.60V set on IMAX B6 (UT-58E measured 2.826V, and i tested this 4X by charging a bit and discharging again to test the exact termination voltage, taking good care of contact resistance).

moviles2
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/23/2011 - 09:31
Posts: 149
Location: pamplona, spain, europe

links to buy the king kong and the MNKE ?

 

the king kong are  imr  li-mn safe chemistry? I want only li-mn safe chemistry

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

moviles2 wrote:

links to buy the king kong and the MNKE ?

 

the king kong are  imr  li-mn safe chemistry? I want only li-mn safe chemistry

Get the MKNE then.  That is Li Mn.    KK can get from cnqualitygoods.com (slightly cheaper overall due to cheaper shipping and 40 cents less for the cell) and int-outdoor.com, MKNE only from int-outdoor but then you need to pay shipping.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland
benckie
benckie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 6 months ago
Joined: 07/04/2011 - 08:36
Posts: 1513
Location: Western Austraila

i like the the KK and the MNKE but i think ill get a few MNKE's when they are back in stock

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Moviles, I think the cheapest MNKE are these ones:

 

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/imr-26650-lithium-3-7v-4000mah-rechargable-ba...

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Out of stock from goodluckbuy too.  BTW, search CPF.  There are cheap-ass copies of MNKEs.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Ups, I didn't notice they were out of stock.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

yavi wrote:

Moviles, I think the cheapest MNKE are these ones:

 

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/imr-26650-lithium-3-7v-4000mah-rechargable-ba...

 

The MNKE IMR-26650 are available in 4 capacities according to the manufacurer.  3200mAh, 3500mAh, 3800mAh and 4000mAh.

They have been sold for a long time, but not even the US dealers mentioned that, some US bought cells were tested to have only 3500mAh.

Those form goodlucky buy can be any of them since they have no capacity printed.

I think they manufacturing process gave random results and only later in their production they started to select them.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

2100 wrote:

Out of stock from goodluckbuy too.  BTW, search CPF.  There are cheap-ass copies of MNKEs.

Those copies are actually blue.

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Hikelite wrote:

yavi wrote:

Moviles, I think the cheapest MNKE are these ones:

 

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/imr-26650-lithium-3-7v-4000mah-rechargable-ba...

 

 

The MNKE IMR-26650 are available in 4 capacities according to the manufacurer.  3200mAh, 3500mAh, 3800mAh and 4000mAh.

They have been sold for a long time, but not even the US dealers mentioned that, some US bought cells were tested to have only 3500mAh.

Those form goodlucky buy can be any of them since they have no capacity printed.

I think they manufacturing process gave random results and only later in their production they started to select them.

I thought they were all the same, mines have exactly the same label, I bought them about a year ago from Taobao.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 35 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

yavi wrote:

Hikelite wrote:

yavi wrote:

Moviles, I think the cheapest MNKE are these ones:

 

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/imr-26650-lithium-3-7v-4000mah-rechargable-ba...

 

 

The MNKE IMR-26650 are available in 4 capacities according to the manufacurer.  3200mAh, 3500mAh, 3800mAh and 4000mAh.

They have been sold for a long time, but not even the US dealers mentioned that, some US bought cells were tested to have only 3500mAh.

Those form goodlucky buy can be any of them since they have no capacity printed.

I think they manufacturing process gave random results and only later in their production they started to select them.

I thought they were all the same, mines have exactly the same label, I bought them about a year ago from Taobao.

 

The same label with what?

Pages