Science Fiction Flashlights

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1981
Location: dayton oh

looks like a chopped off black & decker spotliter!

Blackbeard wrote:
these seem like a step backwards from what we have now:

!http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/18483/18991434_5.jpg?v=8D0FFD8E4052080!

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 586
Location: USA

this is a bit off topic, but is there a term for the effect you see when you shine a laser on a surface? Kinda looks like thousands of tiny dark particles moving about, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s cool tho.

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 1981
Location: dayton oh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern

Blackbeard wrote:
this is a bit off topic, but is there a term for the effect you see when you shine a laser on a surface? Kinda looks like thousands of tiny dark particles moving about, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s cool tho.
Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 586
Location: USA
snakebite wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern
Blackbeard wrote:
this is a bit off topic, but is there a term for the effect you see when you shine a laser on a surface? Kinda looks like thousands of tiny dark particles moving about, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s cool tho.

thanks Snakebite thats it exactly Thumbs Up

I may need a few more IQ points to fully grasp the explanation tho Big Smile

Cereal_killer
Cereal_killer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/22/2013 - 13:10
Posts: 4005
Location: Ohio

Interesting tidbit on speckle patterns (interesting if your into firearms accessories), it’s the mechanism used to create the reticle inside an eotech [or any other real] holographic weapons sight.

 RIP  SPC Joey Riley, KIA 11/24/14. Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Deputy Dog
Deputy Dog's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 07:53
Posts: 429
Location: behind you

Just thinking about this topic.

Hank wanted us to be creative…right?

Here is an idea, a light with a wider variety of types(or spectrum) of light, that worked along with improved/aided human vision (like with Gordi Lafarge’s visor in Star Trek Next Gen)., so that humans could see a wider spectrum (or different types) of light. Sort of the way some night vision already works. Much of the technology already exists.

Kindle
Kindle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 23 min ago
Joined: 04/22/2011 - 10:24
Posts: 825
Location: USA
Quote:
Science fiction. What can you come up with? And do you know any mentions in published SF?

“All tools,” said Nessus. He pointed. “These are flashlight-lasers with variable beams. At night one can see great distances with these, for one can narrow the beam indefinitely by turning this ring. Indeed, one must be careful not to burn holes in nearby objects or persons, for the beam can be made perfectly parallel and extremely intense.”

Ringworld; Larry Niven 1970

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17335
Location: Amsterdam

^ 1970! Cool

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 1994
Location: atlanta ga

probably just some weird thing your eye does

"You never have the wind with you - it's either against you, or you're having a good day."
    Daniel Behrman, "The Man Who Loved Bicycles".
It never gets easy, you just go faster.   
-Greg Lemond.
       ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2012
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Okay, hank, you want science fiction, I can give you science fiction.

What say you of a torch that illuminates things and immediately scans and identifies the objects or beings it is illuminating and sending the info to display in that trusty personal digital device you’re bound to have (PDA, tablet, smartphone, datacube, whatever you want to call it)? All that with just the emitter, no camera needed.

Speaking of which, it makes me wonder what you’d get if you put a modern LED light inside SCP-914 and set it to Fine or Very Fine.

nightlyfe27
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/30/2019 - 22:18
Posts: 11

I enjoyed reading this thread though.

I used KC Lights on my pickup just to test how it'll go for long drive. I am pleased with its performance. 

Trail Trek
Trail Trek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/05/2018 - 12:10
Posts: 85
Location: United Kingdom

I know its a lack luster flashlight but the fact it was so bad made the game better, the flashlight in Metro was a great tension builder.
You had to keep whipping out a home made charging apparatus to make it work. And we complain about turbo only lasting 30 seconds, image your flashlight going off whilst fighting a mutant in the future in a Russian sewer.
I think the beam looks like a dusty Convoy C8 on an el-cheapo ultra mega fire cell Wink

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2012
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Trail Trek wrote:
I know its a lack luster flashlight but the fact it was so bad made the game better, the flashlight in Metro was a great tension builder.
You had to keep whipping out a home made charging apparatus to make it work. And we complain about turbo only lasting 30 seconds, image your flashlight going off whilst fighting a mutant in the future in a Russian sewer.
I think the beam looks like a dusty Convoy C8 on an el-cheapo ultra mega fire cell Wink


At least it’s not as bad as the NVGs’ battery life and the charger is silent Big Smile

turkeydance
turkeydance's picture
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 02/20/2020 - 18:53
Posts: 284

how about a SF anti-flashlight?

it “shines dark” which makes
everything else appear “light”.

peabody
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 05:04
Posts: 330

Flashlights will be obsolete when infared cornea implants become the norm.

The Last Katun
The Last Katun's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 04/29/2011 - 04:34
Posts: 352
Location: Rome, Italy.

peabody wrote:
Flashlights will be obsolete when infared cornea implants become the norm.

Any infrared viewer still needs an illuminator; it would be nice to have corneas with “light intensification”, then the light of the moon, of the sun stars, without illuminator is enough.
steve42
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 12/24/2011 - 18:37
Posts: 94
Location: new mexico

Personally I would go with echolocation.

google :

The tapetum lucidum is a biologic reflector system that is a common feature in the eyes of vertebrates. It normally functions to provide the light-sensitive retinal cells with a second opportunity for photon-photoreceptor stimulation, thereby enhancing visual sensitivity at low light levels…

The tapetum lucidum is a reflective surface that causes the eyes of animals to look like they are glowing in the dark. Many species of nocturnal animals have this layer in their eyes.

steve42

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 267
Location: Mars

I’d like to have the flashlight laser from Larry Niven’s Ringworld books. Can be used as a variable intensity wide beam flashlight or focused down to needle diameter to burn through rock, metal, etc

They didn’t mention the power supply but I think it s a tiny deuterium fusion reactor

The variable sword is wicked too. Looks like a jump rope handle and pressing the button causes it to spoil out invisibly thin wire that passes through a “stasis field” to make it indestructible

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12860
Location: nyc

Photon Master wrote:
I’d like to have the flashlight laser from Larry Niven’s Ringworld books. Can be used as a variable intensity wide beam flashlight or focused down to needle diameter to burn through rock, metal, etc

They didn’t mention the power supply but I think it s a tiny deuterium fusion reactor

Like those 9000000000000lm zoomies…

Photon Master wrote:
The variable sword is wicked too. Looks like a jump rope handle and pressing the button causes it to spoil out invisibly thin wire that passes through a “stasis field” to make it indestructible

Monomolecular lash (“m-lash”)?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Majoroverkill
Majoroverkill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/12/2017 - 17:13
Posts: 961
Location: Nevada

I like SCI-FI Big Smile A liquid nitrogen cooled double walled light where the tail switch carries the motor and threw magnetic power circulates the fluid using a propeller, like in fish tank filters, It would have a combination of LED’s from the four centered SBT90.2’s behind a 60mm TIR lens. The outer part of the TIR lens would be a combination of other emitters functioning in a triangle pattern so you could have 5 sets of three emitters like, three UV, three 3000K three 5000K three Green and Three red. All running separately in there own groups for different needs so the emitter choices could be endless. It would be powered by two Tesla 54980 cells, can’t wait to here more on these!, With an led readout display of temperature, lumens, time, volts, all the goodies! It would also be USB and magnetically chargeable along with a portable folding solar panel for in field charging. Lets not forget to make it a power bank as well. Just what I could think of off the top of my head Big Smile I have high hopes for flashlight technology in the next 10 years Cool

Doug S.

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 267
Location: Mars

Lightbringer wrote:
Photon Master wrote:
I’d like to have the flashlight laser from Larry Niven’s Ringworld books. Can be used as a variable intensity wide beam flashlight or focused down to needle diameter to burn through rock, metal, etc

They didn’t mention the power supply but I think it s a tiny deuterium fusion reactor

Like those 9000000000000lm zoomies…

Photon Master wrote:
The variable sword is wicked too. Looks like a jump rope handle and pressing the button causes it to spoil out invisibly thin wire that passes through a “stasis field” to make it indestructible

Monomolecular lash (“m-lash”)?

Yep kind of like that. They discover a zero entropy technology called “stasis fields” that makes anything within the field indestructible and no time passes. So they make a handle with a tiny stasis field at one end through which the invisibly thin wire passes. Usually people extend it to about 1 meter length and it has a little red ball on the end of the wire so can see where it is (:

HareLantern
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 16 hours ago
Joined: 09/16/2020 - 12:22
Posts: 44
Location: UK

Some sort of super dense sci-fi power source, surely?

Didn’t Agent Scully have a Maxa Beam back in the day? And anything that looks like a lightsaber is surely a win?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12860
Location: nyc

Not sci-fi, but was just browsing through “Reaptown”, and it was refreshing to see this chick with a real flashlight, decent coverage and brightness, and not just some dinky AA Minimag or something.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 267
Location: Mars

In the Niven books, most species use some variety of fusion power. Usually deuterium, due to the scarcity of Tritium and the difficulty of fusing Hydrogen-1 a.k.a. Protium

However, in some books (and the Man Kzin novels), there are races that have total conversion technology. I remember one story where someone came up with a device to suppress the spin on the neutron which caused it to be converted directly to photons Smile

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 2012
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

What about endothermic lights? That absorb heat from the environment around them and turn it into light? Because I sure as heck could use one of those right now. Tired

Andrew_Debbie
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/18/2017 - 12:36
Posts: 698
Location: Isle Of Anglesey
Kindle wrote:
Quote:
Science fiction. What can you come up with? And do you know any mentions in published SF?

_“All tools,” said Nessus. He pointed. “These are flashlight-lasers
Ringworld; Larry Niven 1970

Beat me to it. I read Ringworld around 1974.

As I recall they were part of a “tool box” used to smuggle in dual-purpose weapons.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Niven when reviewing modern “white laser” flashlights like the Acebeam W30.

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 267
Location: Mars
Jack Kellar wrote:
What about endothermic lights? That absorb heat from the environment around them and turn it into light? Because I sure as heck could use one of those right now. Tired

Hey you might like this if you haven’t already heard about it: https://www.ibtimes.com/endless-clean-energy-source-atomic-motion-graphe...

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 267
Location: Mars
Andrew_Debbie wrote:
Kindle wrote:
Quote:
Science fiction. What can you come up with? And do you know any mentions in published SF?

_“All tools,” said Nessus. He pointed. “These are flashlight-lasers
Ringworld; Larry Niven 1970

Beat me to it. I read Ringworld around 1974.

As I recall they were part of a “tool box” used to smuggle in dual-purpose weapons.

I’m surprised no one mentioned Niven when reviewing modern “white laser” flashlights like the Acebeam W30.

I’ve been wondering that myself. I stuck a fresnel lens in front of my W30 and was able to slowly burn dark paper. I’m not sure how many watts a Niven flashlight laser is but the number is finite. I don’t see any reason why we can’t have 1 kilowatt LEP flashlight lasers in 5 to 10 years, if not sooner, with the advances in the light emitters and in battery technology

Who needs guns? Smile

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 890
Location: usa

night vision glasses that look like regular glasses, with thermal capability, or contact lenses that do the same, flashlights are obsolete, disappeared due to lack of need like payphones, it is a science fiction after all,

Robin Dobbie
Online
Last seen: 6 min 56 sec ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 628
Location: Texas

I don’t even think this is sci-fi, but what I want is:

  • drone flashlight
  • auto-follow AI
  • hover above about 10 feet, or as foliage and utility lines allow
  • sustainable 3,000-10,000lm output to whichever pitch and yaw my head is pointing, 600lm to the sides and rear
  • advanced enough to recognize oncoming traffic and temporarily restrict the beam so as not to interfere with vision
  • 1 hour battery

Pages