How long do you sleep per night

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 36 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14085
Location: nyc

Cheese…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3422
Location: Houston, TX

About 7 hours.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2697
Location: USA
MoreLumens wrote:
I haven’t noticed any breathing issues, my nose seems to be open and air flow is ok at evenings and at the mornings too. Still who knows what happens in sleep.

I’m just saying I thought the same. If I had all the info years sooner, I would not have ruled it out so fast.
Please report back after you get to the bottom of your issues.

Robin Dobbie
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 57 min ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 865
Location: Texas

I probably sleep a little longer at night than I do doing the day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Which is about 5’ 11” give or take…

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 908
Location: Okla.

Maybe you can set up a video camera to record your sleep in infrared mode, plus sound. Then review the video to see if your breathing is interrupted periodically. Your very own home-brew sleep study. Wink

I get 7 to 8 hours per night and I wake up feeling rested and alert. No need for coffee. I have noticed, though, that I have a bit of a breathing problem and snore if I sleep on my back. That is probably why I’ve been a side sleeper for the last decade or more.

For someone with a physical airway being obstructed, before going to cpap I would think that trying an oral appliance to adjust the jaw position would be an easy thing to try out.

== We save the planet from darkness ==

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland

Joshk wrote:
I’ve struggled getting a good night sleep most of my life, and hate taking meds too. So I found a combo of things that all together, can get me a good night sleep quite often, which is a miracle.
I highly recommend trying them all for a week before you give up.
.
.
1) This was the first step for me, it will probably be the last step for you… A doctor finally ordered a sleep-study for me years ago, and we discovered I also had severe sleep apnea. It’s like snoring, except you just don’t get enough air, leading to you (unknowingly) staying partially awake all night. You would thing you would figure it out, but you don’t. My wife didn’t even notice. So they ‘prescribed’ me a CPAP. It’s a fan and mask thing that uses room air to simply push back against your breathing and keep the airways open further. It sucks to need, but is totally worth the deeper sleep.

2) Low lighting after 6pm. I now have indirect LED strip in all rooms, but a good life-hack for you is to just shut off the light in the room you are in… and instead turn on the light in the room next door. The flood of light coming through the doorway is plenty once your eyes adjust. Also after 6pm, use the settings on your PC and phone to dim the backlight very low. I go to 8% brightness.

3) All the crap you have already been told, establish a schedule and stick to it, don’t drink caffeine after 6pm, blah blah.
*
4) An hour before bed, lower the thermostat 2 degrees F for the night. Being warm and cozy does help me fall asleep, but it’s not worth the poor sleep I get later. This trick works because your body can regulate it’s temperature without waking your mind. It simply increases or decreases blood flow to a cool arm or leg, instead of waking your mind half-way to deal with the covers. Typically I just leave one foot exposed to cool air*.

5) 30 minutes before bed I take 2 Luna pills. They are almost identical to the cheaper Sleep aid from Walmart, but for some unfortunate reason, the expensive Luna works much better, and with only 6mg of Melatonin instead of 10.

6) Honey Nut Cheerios. I don’t know why, but it really helps me sleep.

7) Relaxation breathing. At this point I am in bed, but often can tell I am not melting into the mattress properly. So I breathe deep, then slowly let it out while focusing on a muscle group to relax. Then repeat with another muscle group.

8) Never go to bed owning Bitcoin.

i find that being a little colder or cool helps me have a deeper sleep, we always have the window a little open so cool air comes in

im going to try something my parents told me as a kid and warm milk and weetabix

i dont want meds as i had a bad experience with melatonin , i felt like poo the next day with 10mg

i only have one cup of coffee in the morning and tea the rest of the day (cut off at 19:00)
i drink plenty of water thoughout the day

i normally wake up at 4am and then try get back to sleep…no matter if i work morning shift or evening shift

ill cut out the blue lights in the evening (phone computer etc)

thanks guys, you have given great info and ill try some

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland

Rexlion wrote:
Maybe you can set up a video camera to record your sleep in infrared mode, plus sound. Then review the video to see if your breathing is interrupted periodically. Your very own home-brew sleep study. Wink

I get 7 to 8 hours per night and I wake up feeling rested and alert. No need for coffee. I have noticed, though, that I have a bit of a breathing problem and snore if I sleep on my back. That is probably why I’ve been a side sleeper for the last decade or more.

For someone with a physical airway being obstructed, before going to cpap I would think that trying an oral appliance to adjust the jaw position would be an easy thing to try out.

i will try this, i have noticed my nose airway is obstructed ,and i sleep with my mouth wide open!

i will try the video thing also, this is a good idea !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland
Lightbringer wrote:
Cheese…

ill have you know i had a good stand up wash last week!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

Josen for young
Josen for young's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 10/25/2020 - 22:16
Posts: 19
Location: Aichi-ken

6.5 hours per night and half hour each noon.
Need more, I think the time fall asleep should be over 9 hours. Then enjoy the lazy day! LOL

Wurkkos Directの日本担当メタです。
よろしくお願いします。

コラボなどのお問い合わせ:
beyondyoungmoon@gmail.com

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland
Joshk wrote:
MoreLumens wrote:
I haven’t noticed any breathing issues, my nose seems to be open and air flow is ok at evenings and at the mornings too. Still who knows what happens in sleep.

I’m just saying I thought the same. If I had all the info years sooner, I would not have ruled it out so fast.
Please report back after you get to the bottom of your issues.

I will. There is always that possibility that this is just something temporary that just goes away like so many other things in life and I will never know exactly why.

Crushed long-acting 1mg melatonin worked like a charm this time. No restless sleep, just a good 8 hours of constant sleep. Also got sleep in under 5 mins I guess. Today I try to go sleep even earlier and with just 0.5mg dose. Good thing this has such a strong effect on me so got one more tool to help.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

Ok, back to the issues. Blood tests were ok, no problem, everything is good from blood sugars to cholesterols. Also the thyroid gland is ok.

So now I got some zolpidem if I really need to sleep, but has anyone tried these? They sound a bit scary actually, but could come in handy. Still not sure what to expect?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6281
Location: Portugal

MoreLumens wrote:
Ok, back to the issues. Blood tests were ok, no problem, everything is good from blood sugars to cholesterols. Also the thyroid gland is ok.

So now I got some zolpidem if I really need to sleep, but has anyone tried these? They sound a bit scary actually, but could come in handy. Still not sure what to expect?

I had some Zolpidem some years ago when I had trouble sleeping (went to bed at 23h, it was 6h without sleeping…) .

The first time I took one…I can tell that I took it, sometime after that, I fell asleep! Like a baby! For around 12hours or more.
Woke up with a sensation of lightweight on my mind and body. LOL

I didn’t take it a row for several days, to avoid eventual addiction and loss of effect.
Just took it 2 or 3 night in a row, I guess, to regulate my sleep and it helped.
Then, later on, I took it when I had some nights without sleeping. And it worked again.

It’s been some years since I took one as we need a prescription. Next time I have an appointment with my family doctor, I’l ask it, for SOS and to help on that “lightweight” sensation.

rebelbayou
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/30/2013 - 19:46
Posts: 78
Location: Louisiana

I’ve had a script for zolpidem for almost 10 years now. I take one every night before I go to bed and within 10 minutes, I’m asleep. I wake up feeling refreshed, although I never sleep more than 3-4 hours straight. I’ve went a week before when I ran out and was out of town and didn’t experience any withdrawals or anything. But, different strokes for different folks.

Mraz
Mraz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2020 - 06:58
Posts: 97

Not enough. I work 12/24/12/48 shifts, got a 3yo baby girl, 2yo schnauzer and three weeks ago I got a baby boy. A good nights sleep is something I’d kill for Smile Will probably have to wait a few more years to get some rest.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

MascaratumB wrote:
MoreLumens wrote:
Ok, back to the issues. Blood tests were ok, no problem, everything is good from blood sugars to cholesterols. Also the thyroid gland is ok.

So now I got some zolpidem if I really need to sleep, but has anyone tried these? They sound a bit scary actually, but could come in handy. Still not sure what to expect?

I had some Zolpidem some years ago when I had trouble sleeping (went to bed at 23h, it was 6h without sleeping…) .

The first time I took one…I can tell that I took it, sometime after that, I fell asleep! Like a baby! For around 12hours or more.
Woke up with a sensation of lightweight on my mind and body. LOL

I didn’t take it a row for several days, to avoid eventual addiction and loss of effect.
Just took it 2 or 3 night in a row, I guess, to regulate my sleep and it helped.
Then, later on, I took it when I had some nights without sleeping. And it worked again.

It’s been some years since I took one as we need a prescription. Next time I have an appointment with my family doctor, I’l ask it, for SOS and to help on that “lightweight” sensation.

Good effects then. Medication can also feel good.Almost sounds like some sedative day after when you are still feeling some effect

These are also called Ambien. Thank you both for feedback. Was there any negative effects day after? Headaches or something else like really crappy chemical sleep? Testing one today to find out if these work on me and what happens pretty soon and how I feel tomorrow so I don’t need to test them when I need to sleep, wake and go somewhere for real.I hope I won’t get headache or anything like that. Just good refreshing sleep and best morning ever when you full of energy and ready to make some changes. Cool

So using these if I must go early sleeping and get somewhere at morning and melatonin on regular nights. Plan shall be this.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6281
Location: Portugal

I can’t remember of any side/negative effects. If there was any, maybe an oversleeping headache, but I guess it didn’t happen!
I remember that the next day after taking the first one, I felt light, I was not in sleepy mood, seemed like I always slept well for my entire life. And the following night I guess I slept well too (if I remember correctly, I didn’t take it 2 days in a row that time, only later in another occasion).

I hope you feel well when you wake up! Wink
And…if you beed to get up during the night, be carefull, you may feel a bit dizzy . Pee before sleep, it’s a suggestion so you don’t need to get up Wink

Thom986
Thom986's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 02/21/2021 - 17:38
Posts: 11
Location: France

Quite in a similar situation.

2 and 4 yo kids. Wife works a lot as MD. Lot of works the night as a teacher. correcting, preparation,…

nearly 5 hours / day between 1 and 6 o’clock.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

So I had eaten a good amount of macaroni casserole and salad, so took Ambien after that, Still worked a bit faster than I thought.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 36 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14085
Location: nyc

Isn’t Ambien the stuff that makes you sleepwalk, kill a family of 4, then go back to sleep like nothing happened?

Blecch.

 

I wish my local CVS carried this stuff if I ever need something to help me sleep.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

Lightbringer wrote:
Isn’t Ambien the stuff that makes you sleepwalk, kill a family of 4, then go back to sleep like nothing happened?

Blecch.

 

I wish my local CVS carried this stuff if I ever need something to help me sleep.

Zolpidem is Ambien.
“However, it also comes with a host of known side effects, including decreased awareness, hallucinations, changes in behavior, memory problems, sleepwalking, sleep eating (and cooking), and even sleep driving. In fact, Ambien has become rather notorious for its weird and wacky side effects.”

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 36 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14085
Location: nyc

Yeh, that’s the one…

Think I’d rather stick with Ribs. Side-effects are way more manageable.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

That was kinda potent, I say. Woke up, slept maybe a bit under 8 hours, thought that I would sleep more like I usually do, feeling kinda lightweight too. Feels familiar, kinda like on a day after smoking herb or something like that. Didn’t make me sleepy at night, but maybe that’s how it’s supposed to work.
Sleep was good and refreshing. No other side effect except that I vomited once at evening without nausea. That was weird, I hope that won’t happen every time.

All those Ambien stories about wacky stuff, bad decisions and even dangerous situations make perfect sense now. Effect is kinda benzo-like with some weird hypnotic side so it’s pretty obvious what will happen if you mix these with other stuff or take too many. Nothing good and even single handedly they seem to affect your memory. I remember watching some tv when waiting for to get tired from these, but that never happened and all I got was kinda same feel when taking benzos. I think 10mg is even a bit too much and 5mg will be enough next time.

Don’t be stupid with these.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland

Now I tested only half tab so it’s 5mg. Didn’t make me throw up and it’s almost hour now. Effect started sooner though.
I hope this smaller dosage won’t make me all groggy for the next day like 10mg did.

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 702
Location: huntspatch, alabama

ref: Mayo Clinic sleep apnea

Sleep apnea can cause the heart rate to increase as the brain is trying to wake you up to start breathing again; if you are older or have heart disease this can cause heart attack or stroke, etc.

Now i used to think that i was cool,
drivin' around on fossil fuel,
until i saw what i was doin',
was drivin' down the road to ruin. --JT

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1335
Location: Finland
MoreLumens wrote:
Now I tested only half tab so it’s 5mg. Didn’t make me throw up and it’s almost hour now. Effect started sooner though. I hope this smaller dosage won’t make me all groggy for the next day like 10mg did.

That went kinda well. No groggy feeling, slept nice 6 hours and my bathroom is now spotless. So before I went to bed, I seem to had the urge to do a bit cleaning when I was brushing my teeth. They didn’t warn about this. LOL
I think even smaller dose would work so 2.5mg could be the sweet spot.

Pages