FM3X UT with CBT-90 & Home made Elephant

Inspired by the Olight SR95 with SBT-90, I wanted to build a more compact thrower using the SBT-90 led.

Part I. FM3X with DIY Elephant host - I have a previous post describing this, s no need here.

Part II. The Led, Driver & Battery set-up
I was going to get SBT-90, but wasn’t able to get one with the Highest Bin class, the P-bin. Rumor says Olight bought all P-bins & dried up the inventary. In stead, I got P-bin CBT-90 instead, which is SBT-90 (Dome less SST-90), it comes with a huge copper star, which handles heat much better.

The heat sink is Brightlumens SST-90 sink. I grind away the edge & pushed it in reversely so that the rear end is used to mount the led star. The driver is 9A, 3 mode SST-90 driver & the battery holder was re-wired for 3S 18650 with resistance mod.

Beam shots coming soon…

Nice! Looking forward to beamshots and some more info and figures. You do such awesome work! 8)

Thanks JonnyMac. I’ve been working on this for a few wks. First time it’s up, it scored 160K lux. But then the driver burned out. It shouldn’t have, since the driver has thermo protection, it should be able to come back after cool down. Now I got second driver, works great but I scored only 120K lux. The driver is thermoly potted to the beefy heat sink that came from the 3x18650 host, so basically, two heat sinks, one for led ^ one for driver. The lux is very stable thou, still 110 klux after 5 min.
Tint is much better than SR51. Things looks much more “clear”, seems to provide higher resolution. MY SR51 is a super performer, it scored 58K lux.

UT vs. SR51 vs.FireFox 3

Camera set-up Manual mode. ISO 200/F3.3/1 sec exposure

Olight SR 51

FM3X UT

Fire Fox 3 40W HID

Wow! That SR51 just got raped by the other two lights. Have you done any throw calculations on the UT and the FF3?

Yes, The UT was 160K on 1st driver & 120K currently on 2nd driver (1st driver burned out). FF3 is 225K lux. 120K lux led (SR90) has taken down 220K lux HID (L35) before (an old CPF review of SR90). The throw of UT by naked eye is close to FF3 despite the lux difference. This is due to lux meter is calibrated to 3000k by default, thus most sensitive to incan & HID lights full spectrum. Cool white led lacks yellow spectrum will under reads in lux meter but performs better in real life.

The FF3 is a beast thou, you can see more at my CPF review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338821-Battle-in-the-woods-II-SR51-vs-Firefox-I-vs-Fire-Fox-III

The winner of that battle was actually FF1, which I have listed For sale on CPF:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341592-Reduced-Firefox-I-custom-35W-Mini-HID

I agree with JM….I think the UT just told the SR51 to “Squeel pig!” Does anyone else hear banjo music in the distance?

Thanks for the kind words!. The CBT-90 is expensive, but because the beefy built-in copper board, the factory spec is 13Amp max. I am using a 9A driver, so this is not even close to its limit.

It’s pretty much impossible to blow a CBT-90, there no driver available that could deliver enough amp to Abuse CBT-90.

Wow! That is a beautiful little blaster ma_sha1 !

I must say I've never touched these high amp leds either due to the lack of drivers that will deliver enough current.

But this is a real killer mod you've done. Beautiful pictures. The tint and tight beam of this little blaster is delicious!

Thanks for sharing with us. Just out of curiosity - what did this mod end up costing you??

Thanks.

The materials costed me total $$#, including taking advantage of FM’s 30% off deal on the head. Otherwise the head alone would have been 190 shipped.