Convoy M2

I ordered an M2 a couple days ago from fast tech. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Convoy M1 XM-L U2 1B

Convoy M2 XM-L T6 3C

Which one for a bike light , M1 or M2 ?

I have the V2 version of the Xin TD and I'm concerned that the V3 will be too throwy to be a bike light . Would the M1 have a similar beam profile to the Xin TD V3 ?

What is the PWM rate of the driver in the Convoy series lights ?

I'm considering a T6 3C 2100ma M2 because it appears to be floodier in the sense that the hotspot is less intense and that the 2800ma might get too hot as well as reduce the runtime .

Anyone using either of these lights as a bike light ?

No, the Xintd C8 is much throwier than the M1 or M2. I’m not a bicyclist, so I won’t try to guess which one would be more suitable, but here’s the C8 beamshot with the same settings as the Convoy pics above.

Xintd C8 V3 XM-L T6 3C

Whilst I don’t own either I’d say both would serve well. Anything around or close to a P60 sized reflector would give you a midrange cycling beam profile, not a thrower or not a complete wall of light up close, but handy all the same and good enough for either extreme. A couple side by side gives a nice allround beam and a bright useable halo of light that will be more than you really need. Personally I would choose the M1 because of it’s wider spill and therefore peripheral. It will be a little throwier, the hotspot would probably disperse into a nice wall of light at around 15m.

Have you considered the X-Power 26650 light?

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003006/1225300-x-power-ha-iii-cree-xm-l-u2-1b-ha-iii-35-mode-900-

No reviews yet but dimensions look around the same as the Shadow JM07 using 26650’s for greater runtime and regulation. I’m still looking for a light that can match or better the JM07 for a good cycling beam.

from looking at fasttech pictures, the m1 looks to be brighter and floodier than the xpower
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212400

Thanks for the responses . I think I will buy one of the M1s to try out as a bike light . Or maybe an M2 .

I like my Xin TD V2 ( after I sputtered the reflector ) , but anything thowier would have too much of a dazzling effect with a glaring hotspot .

I plan to stay with 18650 cells , and these Convoy lights seem like great bargains .

These do have a high PWM rate , right ?

[/quote]
from looking at fasttech pictures, the m1 looks to be brighter and floodier than the xpower
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212400
[/quote]

I wouldn’t rely much on the beam shots from fasttech, the spill size is always roughly the same for each flashlight indicating that the beam shots vary in distance.

The Xpower comes with the LD-29 driver, 2.6A off one cell and 2.8A off 2 cells. Compared with the M1 which comes with a max 2.8A driver. The Xpower has more mass to dissipate heat so would suffer less heat sag, brightness wise there would be little difference.

The M1 would have a floodier hotspot with a smaller reflector vs more throw from the Xpower. What would be interesting is spill size. If the Xpower uses the same or similar reflector to the Shadow JM07 (both head sizes are around 41mm) it would put out a wide spill and a nice wide hotspot at around 18-20m.

I’m considering getting one of these and putting a 3.5A-4A driver in it, although I already have 2 JM07’s…

They all come with the 3/5 group nanjg’s that are sold at fasttech. The M2 has an additional board added above it with a larger spring soldered to the original one wile the S2’s are just the 105c’s stock.

Modes are a bit off (10-50[or 60)–100 and the strobe is a bit faster than the one on my Xintd (selectable star). PWM seems identical and is very fast, hardly noticeable when shining at a moving fan on low or medium mode’s. And actually it might be faster than my v3, but since my battery’s aren’t all equal it isn’t a fair comparison; very slight difference.

I don’t know about the M1, I don’t have one but the M2 seems to be a bit better for biking than my XinTDv3 since it throws less and has a wider spill. Less weight in the head is good for mounting too and makes for less moment in the mount although it is fairly hefty and I’m slightly worried about the looseness in the bezel when biking.

The bezel on my M2 came slightly loose and off in the mail but it snugged up fine. I might add some Teflon or a tad bit of lock-tight when I decide If want the spiky or smooth one. Very nice build on the body/main tube, smooth and hefty but seems pretty well balanced.

The M2 lookalike host you are linking to at CNGQ is the D5, and not like the M2 at all. The D5 and Roche F8 are heavier built the pill is larger (22mm) and deeper. It is also integral with the body. The reflector is deeper on the D5 and Roche. The head threads down into the body, rather than the the body threading up into the head. I have four convoy M2 hosts, but I am definitely going to pick up a couple D5 and Roche F8s for my own personal lights.

how do you compare the m2 to the Roche ouchyfoot? worthy contender or not? I have store credit to burn, an m2 host inbound and I’m wondering if I should be getting one for myself or put the credit towards an l2?

as a side note. I have built both the d4 and d5 linked and both are of excellent quality, I’m hoping the convoys stack up against them.

The convoy M2 is of excellent quality. A great choice for anyone wanting to step up from a tube light. I have one here, and ordered three more. The pill is quite small, really only enough room to contain the drivers wires. Just install the driver and LED, and screw it into the head. It’s so simple it almost takes the fun out of building it. Five minutes max. I also have an M1 and S3. I’ll have to check, but I think the pills for the Convoys are universal. If they are, I might contact FastTech and see if they can get the pills in, as separate accessories. That way you could swap out the pills as easy as P60s.
As you can see from the pics, the Roche F8 is a little shorter than the Convoy. The F8 is not for everyone, as it is very selective to battery diameter and length. It seems to only accommodate unprotected cells. It’s lookalike brother the D5 accepts anything.
Gords1001. Could you get some length and body tube measurements of your D5? I’m wondering if its the same length as the M2 Convoy.

I can do some measuring later, I think the d5 will be a hard act to follow, not due to quality but duw to the “feel” of the light, its hard to describe but it feels like a quality unit, I thinkbdue to the mass of it.

I agree. The D5/F8 have that “je nes se quois” about them. When you hold them, you can feel that extra special “something” about them. I have one of each in my shopping cart at CNGQ.

I’m going to hold out for an l2 host, I’m wondering if it’ll take an mt-g2 and my other 5a driver. 8)

Thank you for correcting my error, Ouchyfoot.

No problem rivet62. I made the same assumption. I thought the M2, D5, and F8 were all the same until I got the M2 in the mail and set it beside my F8.

Ok, sorry you had to wait for doctor who to finish, new series.

Overall length 134.8mm
Lense effective diameter 24.55mm
Head od 33.5mm
Tube id 18.85mm
Tube od 25.5mm
Tube length 78mm (remember, head screws into body)

Here it is alongside my edc18650 for reference

Thanks gords. Mostly, from what I can tell, they’re pretty close. I’m measuring with a cheap building measuring tape, take it for what it’s worth. The tube of the F8 seems to be 2mm shorter than the D5, and the inner diameter is smaller by a miniscule amount. I just noticed the bezel on your D5 has very discrete crenellations. The F8s is flat.