Trustfire X6 SST-90 EXPLODED

Saw this in ForoLinternas, referring to a post in DealExtreme. Luckily nobody was injured, the batteries were 3x18650 flame Trustfire. It is not a good idea to use multi-18650 and non-IMR in high drain flashlights. I copy the most important things:

{...}

I received the flashlight and I tested it for a short time, very bright and very impressive.
After few days I reused it for few minutes and switched-off.
After about 10 minutes (the flashlight was in switch-off state)... Boom! The X6 is exploded and burned.

{...}

Consider that the flashlight was in switch-off state when exploded! Stored inside a bag, about 20 degrees. no sun light exposure (now in Italy is winter time). No batteries problem (original batteries with protection circuit)

{...}

(other user) What happened is that your front-most battery vented, blowing out the lens, burning the driver and expelling the battery contents (the black "ash") into the head of the flashlight.

Man, luckily nobody got hurt.

I received the flashlight and I tested it for a short time, very bright and very impressive.
After few days I reused it for few minutes and switched-off.
After about 10 minutes (the flashlight was in switch-off state)... Boom! The X6 is exploded and burned. After some time, when the scraps (ex flashligt) returned in the normal temperature condition I saw the back and internal of the head completely burned. No trace of the driver! I'm waiting for warranty information. Naturally my expectation is the replacement.
Anybody have experience regardind the event?

To answer to varius question:

Sorry for my bad english language, I'm italian, not english.

After the event I dismounted, cleaned and analaised for damages.

1- the LED SST-90 have the lens detacched
2- the driver is totally burned, I found only some peices of the driver, copper coil and a burned base and black ash
3- the rubber caps is broken
4- the reflector lose the brilliance
5- n. 3 batteries 18650 (original with protection circuit) exploded and burned
6- the frontal glass is little damaged.
The rest is ok.
My opinion is that the cause of the explosion is the driver, it is totally burned, the head was very hot and the batteries burned but are in better condition in confront of the driver.
Consider that the flashlight was in switch-off state when exploded! Stored inside a bag, about 20 degrees. no sun light exposure (now in Italy is winter time). No batteries problem (original batteries with protection circuit)
Is my opinion that the X6 is a very good flashlight, very bright, but due to the high power requested must be create with very high accuracy.

I , responded in the thread ...

Were the batteries fully charged :
Did you match the batteries for current draw :
Did you check to make sure the batteries were not faulty in any shape or form .

Multi cell operation requires care and knowledge , especially for the batteries .

If you failed to use due care , then this is operator failure .

1/ Make sure the batteries are all charged to the same state [ voltage ]
2/ Rest the batteries after charging for at least 1 hour and test voltage state ..
3/ All cell should match
4/ Test current discharge in another light , they should all be close
5/ When using a multi batt light , often test batt state to check for even discharge
6/ Buying cheap cells means you may need to take more care matching cells

7/ failure to use due care , failure to educate yourself to the correct use , may result in possible problems , resulting in possibly anything but the operator taking the blame .

Yeah , something wrong somewhere , was it the light , the batteries , or the operator ?

After reading the info it kind of reminds me of the "ZOMG Exploding Trustfire 18650s!" thread on CPF from last year. After reading through *all* the pertinent information, while the batteries weren't the greatest there was definitely some operator error involved. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case here as well.

I think it has to have been a low voltage cell, otherwise I would have expected it to take rather less than 10minutes.

Sad to hear of any accidents really :(

If the tailcap switch is off, the only way to short out the batteries is when the plastic around the batteries is damaged. Then the batteries could short out against the inside of the aluminium battery tube.

A few years ago i had a problem like that with a self-made 6Ah / 6V Nimh battery-pack that i used for my bicycle light. The batteries were taped together, but the isolation between the batteries was damaged by vibrations. That battery-pack did not burn, but all the plastic melted together (Nimh is safer than Lithium-ion).

Now we know why there is "fire" in almost all the brandnames of the flashlights from DX (Ultrafire, Trustfire, Uniquefire, Spiderfire...), they are all potentially dangerous... The more power there is in the batteries, the more dangerous it gets when something goes wrong.

Luckyly nobody got hurt in this case.

"Now we know why there is "fire" in almost all the brandnames of the flashlights from DX (Ultrafire, Trustfire, Uniquefire, Spiderfire...)"

This explains a lot :D

About the accident, it could have been a short circuit caused by a damage in the plastic. But we have to consider some things:

1. It's not a good idea to use a lot of big batteries in series. If there is a problem with one of them, it will be a disaster.

2. It's not a good idea to use a high drain LED like a SST-90 with li-ion chemistry, it is better if we use IMR, which does not have explosion risk.

3. We have to take care of where we storage our flashlights. I put them in the shelf next to some books. So if there is an accident.. my house is gone.. so it is a good idea to consider leaving li-ions in a safe place (just in case).

What do you think about this?

1. It's not a good idea to use a lot of big batteries in series. If there is a problem with one of them, it will be a disaster.

2. It's not a good idea to use a high drain LED like a SST-90 with li-ion chemistry, it is better if we use IMR, which does not have explosion risk.

3. We have to take care of where we storage our flashlights. I put them in the shelf next to some books. So if there is an accident.. my house is gone.. so it is a good idea to consider leaving li-ions in a safe place (just in case).

1 true

2 true

3 true but the nice thing about flaslights is not only collecting them but also use them,so a fair amount will end up in drawers on shelves in cars etc.

I charge Li-ions in a fire blanket (glassfiber) and I store batt. in my refrigirator and try to avoid the combination of LI-ions and flamable materials

Its worse with RC use of LiPos. I only use LiPo chemistry in my planes/helis/cars. These range from being tiny 100mA single cells, to 5A 2s2p batteries. Most of my collection includes 2A 3s1p cells, which are regularly drained at an average rate of 15-20C. (flat in 8 mins). These cells can Realllly deliver current. I shorted one once, for about 3 seconds, and it let out a significant amount of heavy smoke covering the table. Luckily it never ignited. But this is a gentle reminder of the high risk of danger with these batteries, especially under shorted conditions

Many of the flat cells show visible gasseous expansion closer to the end of their life. In the case of these rolled up cells we use in torches, I havent been able to spot any physical changes in the cells prior to failure.

Videos of fires exist. Most are done under high voltage/overcharging states, and there are various stages, including a gasseous expansion, followed by increasing pressure and heat, which eventually ignites a very rapid burning fire which is extremely rapid for several seconds, followed by a relatively slower burning. In the case of the round (rolled) cells we use in torches, in combination with the hermetically sealed tubes we put them into (pipe bomb), It seems that these cells are less likely to be recognised by everyone as obviously dangerous before its too late.

As said before, although there is always the innate risk of failure, most can be attributed to some degree of operator error somewhere along the line, mostly related to a lack of understanding of the risks, and from not recognising/dealing with risk factors. Examples that come to mind include;

Worn battery coverings - especially in protected cells where there is a electrical connector running down the cell, but where it turns the corner, it is unable to properly conform to the shape of the cell and leaves protruding corners that rapidly wear through the usually thin heatshrink coating. These need to be checked regularly, and reinforced.

Physically damaged cells - increased risk of mechanical failure, shorting

Overdischarged cells - are usually the history that is commonly associated with lipo fires and other dangerous events. Most of these come from not using protected cells, failed protection, inability of the user to recognised overdischarged cells.

Overcharging - chargers that are not very accurate in the detection of charged state, chargers that are not true CC/CV chargers, and chargers that are not able to detect actual cell voltage via an independent sense connection, and simply increase the charging voltage blindly to compensate for losses in the cables. This works fine under high current, but once the cell requires less current to charge, the floating voltage of the cells increase above recommended levels (think of the cheap charges that are commonly used). This is why I strongly recommend a hobby charger with cell balancing capability, because it has a voltage sense external to the current carrying charging leads. It actually results in faster charges, while actually being better for the cells.

Speaking of storage, What you can buy are fiberglas woven bags which help contain the short term flame. These are no guarantee, however it is an extra level of protection.

Sorry for the rant in the wrong thread, I just happened to feel like typing.

Hehe, this isn't CPF okwchin no need to apologise and you were pretty much on topic anyway :)

I fly electric and gliders and so far I've not had any problems with my 20-30 li-po's. I always charge them in one of the fire retardant bags just in case.

I'm sure most of the accidents are user error or simply using/charging outside of the recommended limits. After all there are millions (billions?) of mobile phones in the world and they practically all use li-po or li-ion cells and you hardly ever hear about one exploding.

Sounded to me , like the light etc arrived ..

He put in the batteries to test , it ran ok ... He ran it a second time ...

Never did mention charging the batteries , or checking anything ..

If one cell was more depleted than the others ..

So what may have happened = [ maybe ]

First run helped to deplete one cell more than the others ..

2nd run made the situation worse as the more depleted cell would have had less energy to run with the other two and would have been further stressed and a revers current situation started .

[ reverse current = cell is so depleted it starts to draw current rather than deliver it = also may occur is a badly out of balance situation ]

Anyhow , this may have started a irreversible reaction where bye the cell structure is so badly damaged , that the cell becomes unstable and flames ..

This is why over discharging is not recommended , as it may damage the cell . Once damaged , [ depending on how badly ] the cells life will be shortened and possibly affect the stability of that cell ..

Also why when you run multiple cells , they need to be matched .