Hotrod flashlights and battery safety.

Fellow enthusiasts, I hope you’re all well.

I’ve read posts stating to be careful not to overdraw from your batteries. Example, pairing emitters that can pull 20 amps with a 10 amp battery.

Is there any truth to the belief that you can over-pull from a battery and send it into thermal run-away? Anyone with first-hand experience of a thermal event in a hotrod flashlight?

Thermal runaways are very rare, but can get dangerous because the flashlight is a tightly enclosed space, and pressure can build to dangerous levels.

Explosion in a charger: My 14500 battery explosion, with pictures
Trustfire X6 explosion while off: Trustfire X6 SST-90 EXPLODED
Imalent DX80 driver failure: My Imalent DX80 caught fire, vented smoke, almost exploded (replacement head arrived)
Solarforce L2T, shorted out car battery: Exploding flashlight kills man

None of the cases above are due to shorts or over-currents however.

Name brand li-ion cells have a safety test that checks for fire and explosion during a dead short:

So while thermal runaways are rare, they can be deadly, so reasonable precautions should be taken.

Yes, exercising caution is a given. I was thinking that if it was a substantial issue to be concerned about, there would be people here who have actually had it happen.

I have a D4V2 that I push very hard every day, lots of turbo, purposefully delayed stepdown, etc. I’d hate for that to become a pipe bomb, but it just doesn’t seem to care and the battery doesn’t get too hot.