SkyRay King VS ???

Hello,

I am new to the forums and have been searching around to get a flashlight. After much research I think I have settled for the SkyRay King however I came across this other flashlight and was wondering if it would be any better than the King?

SkyRay King:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271091880801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190690911316?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The second one seems to have a similar setup however only uses (1) 26650 battery to power it.

What would be the pros & cons for each? Based on the sellers history, seems like many people people have bought the second one (288 sold as of now)

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I would get the black skyray king from cnqualitygoods over both of those

The second one isn’t properly heat sync’d. The Hd2010 with triple XML is a dropin style, and couldn’t be left on for any length of time.
You’d need to add copper tape to make contact with the body, and still only run on high for short periods.

From the skyray king reviews I’ve read, it’s brighter

That second link of yours is way way over-priced. It can be had at T-mart for $42.35. Beware though, it's a floating pill design which means the heatsinking is awful and doesn't transfer heat to the body. It'll burn itself up if left on for any significant length of time. Don't believe the Lumens ratings either - those are Chinese Lumens.

Whatever you get, invest in good protected batteries!

-Garry

Wow I’m glad I decided to post on here. I would have never known about the heat issues on that second flashlight.

So I am liking the black SkyRay King at cnqualitygoods, is the King the better flashlight money can buy at its price range?

I am looking for something with a good beam with a better throw however dont want to spend much more than what a King costs.

don’t get the second one… i have that flashlight…now it’s dead
the driver fried… probably my fault trying to see if it can take 2 batteries ( blame it on few beers)
anyway… the lumens is faaar of from 4000 lumen ( i was like a moth too drawn to this claim)
just get this ” Sky ray king clone”:http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10000620/1057203-fandyfire-uv-s5-cree-xm-l-t6-1800lm-flashlight-4-x and use the coupon gotech… it’ll cost you around $40.50 /free shipping
some even swear this is better than Sky Ray king… but either one …they made by black shadow
have fun

I would go with the King (black from cnqualitygoods)

Also get some quality batteries and a good charger. I bought some cheap stuff first, and it was not good. Safe yourself some money and buy some good stuff right away.

Great batteries:
http://www.intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-panasonic-ncr18650b-3400mah-protected-battery-p-605.html

Great chargers:
xtar sp2
NITECORE SYSMAX Version 2.0 Intellicharger i4 (or the two slot version I2)

Edit:
low prices on mentioned chargers: Best price on Intelli i2, i4 and Xtar SP2

I personally have the black king and many more expensive lights and it is just as good

The SkyrayKing is great bang for your buck, if you go up too $60 the Trustfire J12 and J18 are also beasts. The J18 is 2400 lumens otf according to reviews, I had one and believe the claims of 2400 lumens.
I sold it and kept the J12, because with the extender it runs great on Nimh C batteries and I thought that was cool.

I've been interested in this. So the J18 can't run on NiMh C cells? How's the output of the J12 compared to the J18? J12 good off the shelf, or does it need some sort of driver mod to boost output to a worthy level?

-Garry

I’ve just got the one mentioned as the Sky Ray King Clone in the response by DayLighter, after seeing beam shots etc of the sky ray king I think this “clone” is way brighter, can’t see any heat issues with the one I got from fasttech, service was also faultless after several enquiries.
It is seriously bright even though my batts were not fully charged, has sensible levels of light on low, despite being advertised as such it has NOT got mode memory, always starting on high, my most expensive light to date(£27), as I’m a tight arse ha ha!!
Would I buy it again, hell yeah without hesitation, the beam shots on youtube for the fandyfire UV-S5 don’t do it justice, it’s much better in real life, has a perfect beam spread and spill and more importantly(for me anyway) color no blue tinge that I hate.
Can’t comment on the first one as never used it.

The J12 seems to also be a beast from what ive read. The J18 is a little out of my budget though.

Which would you guys recommend for a first flashlight? Sky Ray King or the Trustfire J12?

I tried searching for threads comparing them both but couldnt find much.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Black skyray king is brighter then the gold one because it uses the u2 emitters over the t6, and the quality is better then anything from trustfire

The black king is closer to 2500 lumens

The J12 works with the stock driver, and will run with both 2 or three 26650’s. it’ll run at a medium brightness on alkalines, runs full out on four Nimh c cells. The j18 is quite dim on c cells Nimh or alkaline from what I read the output is very low, a third of the possible brightness.

The SkyrayKing would probably outthrow the J12 due too the depth of reflector but I’m not sure which is brighter.
The j12 is quite long and large with the extender, the SRking is certainly more portable.

The j12 can’t compete with that, neither can the j18

I generally prefer the Sky Ray over the J12.

The J12 seems like it might be heat sinked better, but you are going to run through it’s two batteries quicker than the 4 that are needed to run the Sky Ray (I have the gold version). The J12 switch isn’t going to be turned on nearly as readily/accidentally as the Sky Ray - a benefit when it goes in the car or into the backpack or dry bag…

Generally, am thinking that I am more impressed with the Sky Ray over the J12 anytime I use them both in the same night.

First flashlight? I end up using any number of my other EDC style lights before I need to reach for one of the ‘big guns’…

One of these days (not anytime real soon) I'll be looking to get one of these "Big Guns" and will need to decide which. I appreciate all the comparative feedback.

-Garry

Awesome. I went to the cnqualitygood site and seems like they are getting a new batch on December 15. Does the color make a big difference?? NW vs CW?

NW for more realistic color rendering, CW for maximum output.

-Garry