NOW 70% OFF COUPON!! DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host!

At 17mm deep, you may have to dremel the pill to suit though, and sand the contact board to 23mm/resolder the contact board.

It does look interesting though if you talking about feeding an mt-g2 5a……

No, stop it, I do not need to buy this host, I have a mag 3d to build into a big thrower….

Although… :bigsmile:

hahaha! I’m happy someone else considers a maglite a decent thrower. With the Rebel reflector, the beam is nice!

I went through matches last 3 mod threads until i found where he linked to the driver he used, and i linked it in this post

i think the driver linked in post 59 is the same as this driver at KD
except they want $4 more at lck-led

i don’t know how efficient it is - but if it actually delivers 5A to the led, that’s a bit much if not directly mounted to copper, imho

i have 3 other projects going or i would have ordered this whole kit already…

i might go ahead anyway, or press ahead and try and finish others quickly. this ought to make one heck of a light w/ mt-g2

Hmmm... A MT-G2 at 5 amps. Then it could hypothetically do 2700+ lumens. :Evil:

this is what i was waiting for!

Hot rod!

So, what we are now discussing is a 2d mag sized single emitter host, that will happily put most 3 x xm-l lights to shame in terms of total output, and potentially, due to one emitter in one big reflector, will significantly out throw them too…….

I need to unsubscribe from this thread, its bad for my wallet, but by god am I interested. :bigsmile:

Thanks for planting this in my head, I just ordered a host, just hope customs doesn’t slap me now, at $50 its the price of a skyray king, but not working. I do however have drivers and emitters to fire it up, but I’ll be ordering that 5a driver and mt-g2 in due course. It will fit, oh yes, it will fit…

Good job I’ve cleared with toni that a good few projects for me and my step son is to teach him soldering and build something that works…I already see him ending up with a c8 upgrade set, he’s not getting this, this will just be a tutelage…

man, you guys have just about got me talked into doing it with the 5A driver J)

i’m guessing it would feed the right voltage, since it will work w/ 1 or multi xml

but geez - 6V, 5A - 30W is a LOT for a light this size! i bet 5 min or less on high, but i the driver has temp protection…so why not

as far as gords assessment of this vs a 3xml - that’s pretty much what I’m guessing this will look like - but it will have a sweet tint too :bigsmile:

Isn’t the MT-G2 LED rated at 3A max for 6V? :open_mouth: Can’t wait to see the mods!

Yes, but match tested it up to 6 amps and it was still increasing.

that driver we’ve been referring to as 5A might not do that much w/ the mtg2

KD says this about current:
Output current (single LED): 5A
Output current (3 or 4 XM-L LED wired in serial): 3A

I wonder if it would ‘see’ and mtg2 as 2 xm-l in series, and if it does, what the current would be. I’m gonna guess half way between 15W (1 xm-l at 5A) and 30W (3 xm-l at 3A), so about 3.7A? a measly 2400 lumen :stuck_out_tongue:

That KD driver looks great, but I want to see how it’s going to get mounted. I hope when someone installs one of these super power drivers, you at least take some photos for the rest of us.

have you measured the inner dia. of the back of the pill, and how deep it is?

that is a pretty big driver.

I could be totally wrong with my guess - maybe that driver will ‘see’ 2 xm-l in series and send 6A. that could be bad, but probably not instant death if you have i get it set up right when testing.

if all these drivers weren’t so expensive, i’d order all 3 - but hell, the 3 together cost more than the host!

Note, the following measurements I’ve taken without the driver retension ring in place. If the ring was used to hold the driver down, you’d end up with a depth of about 15.2mm- 15.5mm

Without the ring in place, these were both measurements for the driver cavity: 22.8mm-24mm (Dia.) × 15.9mm (Depth)

I think this is the achilles heal of the light. We’re going to have to be very careful of the driver purchased for it. As an example and to give the pill some scale, I’ve taken a photo of it with the KD driver that’s ear-marked for my Trustfire TR-J12.

Yes, that one photo is the driver as installed as you can get it.

thanks!

I think it will fit with the slightest trimming of the upper board and then soldering the top edge of the bottom board to the outer edge of the pill

that ought to make up the 2mm difference in height. the trickiest part might be potting (i use epoxy and alumina) and getting the wires into the through holes at the same time :Sp

hey, searching for info, i just realized intl outdoor is cheaper than KD - AND hank claims 1 cell low voltage protection

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/boostbuck-318v-triple-xml-circuit-board-p-542.html

if you search this page for p-542 you can see comments on this driver - it says “apparently not suited for 2 led”

http://www.videofoundry.co.nz/ianman/laboratory/research/driverlist.php

I wonder what that means as far as 6V mtg2….

so that’s this one?

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S020417

i have one of the 9-led ones. the thing is HUGE, i think the coil, especially w/ insulation, is much bigger than this 5A driver

but the boards themselves are the same size, so if you flip it (not inserting coil), maybe you can tell if the boards will fit the way i’m imagining

Yes Dthrckt, that link is the KD driver I have in the photo. I flipped the driver as you asked and the main board is 1.4mm to wide. I suppose it could be trimmed, but I don’t know how much that can be done. I do know some have installed this driver in the J12 and did trim them, but how much I don’t know.

hmm, sounds like that could be enough to interfere with threads

two things determine how far they can be trimmed - the closest component to the edge, and the copper ring around the edge of the board. some of that ring must remain, all the way around.

you can see the recessed sections along the edge, and that those have brass in them to connect the bottom side of the board to the top.

if those are trimmed through, the top and bottom rings can be reconnected w/ solder…which is a real PITA w/ an aluminum pill, but in this situation, with the top edge sitting on the brass lip, it wouldn’t be as bad.

the intl-outdoor custom 3.5A would be a lot easier - IF it will do 6V.

I’m going to order the driver from intl-outdoor right now.