What wire gauge to use for driver->emitter connections?

According to this: http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity , 22AWG should be good?

Or can I also use 24 or 26?

Also - when specifying AWG, it means the bare wire or wire+insulation?

AWG refers to the wire diameter or area only, not the insulation.

Thicker is usually better than thinner. But keeping the length to as short as is practical is probably more important. As the AWG number goes up, so does the resistance per metre. 30mm of 24AWG is probably better than 60mm of 22AWG. That is just a guess, I'd have to look up the numbers to be sure.

It might short on the heatsink (if there is one)

Why not just use 24awg teflon coated and be done?

so... 24 or 22?

I use ethernet cat 6E cable wires. 2m of those last almost forever (4 pairs of wire)...

You pretty much want to use the thickest wire (lowest AWG) you can fit and solder well.

anyone tried soldering 8 AWG braided?

Its not as much fun.

Its what came with my lipo battery for my RC car, severe overkill. Its the way the chinese products try to demonstrate performance, with oversized wires for once!

Sorry for the off-topic, anway, I was meant to say that I'm also not a big fan of solid copper based on the idea of the fracture problems with large diameter solid wires. I find that I end up braking my copper wires too often for peace of mind .

Given the shortness of that wires doesn't matter which gauge use...the tiny provided with the drivers are great, easy to solder, small and that count when using a filled pill which limit the space avalaible.

I do feel that the ones they come with are a little on the small side... (then again, whats the cross sectional thickness of the tracks.. I doubt they would have used the thicker PCB copper tracks.

m... they usually limit the power to LED to 2.5 amps.

In a P10 with an AK-105 i'm getting 2,75A with those tiny wires..

To the LED?

In this circuit tail cap current is equal to led current...VDD draw 200 microamperes ...beside that you can't put an amperemeter in the leads because that change all...

Anybody knows the AWG size of these wires:

teflon wire makes life a whole lot better.

I use 22 on everything. Sometimes solid, sometimes stranded, but always teflon coated.

Thanks for the info. Where do you buy the teflon AWG 22?
Can’t find one from FastTech. :beer:

Illumination Supply
No 22AWG but it’s a start.