Problems with Trustfire Mini-02 on 16340 cells *Fixed*

Hey guys,

I received my Trustfire Mini-02 from Fasttech today along with a couple TF16340 cells.

When using it with the included TF CR123A Lithium battery it works fine, all modes are spot on. When using the TF16340 cells (pictured) only the low mode works sometimes, when I try to switch to other modes (high and strobe) it just flashes once and then turns off very fast.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of what might be causing it? I don’t have any other CR123A or 16340 cells to test with it.

tripping the battery protection circuit ...?

I don’t know, what would cause that? The light drawing too much current? Since I don’t have any other protected or unprotected 16340’s to try I’m sorta stuck. :frowning:

I think it’s due to the crappy TF16340’s, one of the cells is stuffed and refuses to charge even though it’s at 2.68v. The other once charges fine but still cuts out when using the light. I have ordered a few different cells, so hopefully that does the trick.

Update

I removed the protection board on the cell that wasn’t charging and it’s now charging fine and it works spot on in th Mini-02.

It’s damn bright for such a small light. :slight_smile:

Control

Bundled CR123A Lithium on high

TF16340 with removed protection board on high.

Good job on solving the problem.

I love a story with a happy ending. :slight_smile:

GC good pics!

Did you put a wrapper around the battery?

No, not yet.

fasttech 18650 shrink wrap
Just in case you could use a link. Guessing it will probably be fine for 16340 too.

Glad you fixed it. How do you like the light all around? I'm looking forward to getting my BLF Edition from Rey. Just from that one pic you posted it looks sexier than the mini01. I'd love to see some more pics of it from you.

Hey mate,

Good to see another Melbournite on here :slight_smile:

I had exactly the same experience with my UniqueFire UF-K21.

I think the PCB protection on 16340 batteries limit the current drain. Based on the TF Mini-02’s spec’d 480 lumens (the UF-K21’s is 500 lumens), it needs at least 1600 mAh to run on high and the protected 16340 obviously can’t give that.

I’ve also tested an unprotected 16340 with my UF-K21 and it works fine with all modes. However, we need to closely monitor the light output so as not to over-discharge the battery. When I removed the unprotected 16340 from my UF-K21 to have it recharged, its voltage reading was 2.65 volts, which means that my light’s driver has no voltage protection. I’m not sure with the TF Mini-02 though but I suspect its the same.

I’ve ordered protected Nitecore RCR123As from FastTech and I hope these batteries will suffice. If not then I guess we’ll have to do with unprotected 16340s.

i’d be interested to see how the Nitecore RCRs from FT work out for you…. I have the BLF Mini 02… same problem… I stripped the protection circuit off my TF16340 as well… not thrilled about running the unprotected so if there is a combo that works that would be great!

Sure! I’ll post the results as soon as I get my Nitecore RCR123A’s, which I ordered together with a TF Mini-02. I placed my order last 05 May and it usually takes 21 days for my items from HK/China to reach me so I’m looking forward to getting it on or before 27 May. :slight_smile:

great thanks!

:slight_smile:

I don’t want to disappoint you but I ordered my TF MINI-02 with a Nitecore RCR123 and to my surprise the battery does not fit. I tried putting it in and then I had to use pliers to take it out which resulted in a scratch on the “cover” of the battery (from the pliers). The problem is that this battery is too thick.

So I am on the search for a slightly smaller diameter battery. I got the Nitecore since I thought it would be the best from the ones Fasttech has available but………

Oh my! :frowning: I just hope they will fit my UF-K21 then.

I wonder if the SolarForce RCR123As are any better? I’ve been hearing good things about these batteries and they are cheaper than NiteCore :~

Thanx for this info Jargon. At least I should be glad that I did not get more NiteCore RCR123As like what I been planning to do. If those NiteCore cells won’t fit my UF-K21 either, I can still use them on my 1x18650 lights that accept 2x16340s. :slight_smile:

Well, I got another now so I can at least use them as a pair in another flashlight. This battery mess with non standard sizes is beyond me when they are categorized the same. i.e. 16340 or RCR123A

My 2 Nitecore batteries from FastTech arrived today and they worked very well on my UF-K21. I’m charging them as of now so that I can do the full run time test this evening. I’ll post the results right away. :slight_smile: