90 CRI XM-L2 mods

Yesterday I received back 3 lights that were each modded with the HiCRI XML-2s. Each light was done as follows.

1. Legion II MC-E was changed to 4.5A driver and 90 CRI XM-L2 on a direct copper mount.
2. Legion II SST-50 CW, standard 4.6A driver remains and 90 CRI XM-L2 on direct copper mount.
3. EL Bruiser 3 XM-L NW, changed to upgraded wiring and (3)90 CRI XM-L on direct copper mounts.

I’ve had NW and WW lights before but these are my first experience with HiCRI leds.

First impressions. The L2s are virtually identical, but the MC-E model now is a HML mode twisty. The functions of the SST50 model all still remain. All lights were given 3000K leds, but the L2s have a more fully charged overdriven incan type output. The color rendering is incredibly better. I find myself using them on low modes more because it appears you need less light to see just as well. But on high these things light up the woods more than 200 yards away as good as some of my much bigger lights that don’t have the HiCRI leds. I wouldn’t even call the color temp WW, it’s more WarmNeutral. Both have considerably better throw than before upgrade. I don’t have many normal lights to compare this to, but this was considered a throwy light with the MC-E. I think this may have very close to the best beam pattern throw/flood of any light I have out to about 2-300 yard range.

The Bruiser has the same 3000K LED, 3 of them here, but in this case it is ran off 1 26650. The light uses an optic and reflectors. The light appears considerably warmer than the 2 LegionIIs. This is possibly due to the lower current delivered 3XM-L2 off 1 26650 vs 1 XM-L2 of 3 IMR 18650s of the L2s. The optic vs reflector may change the color as well. Indoors the light appears less bright than before the upgrade, but still bright enough to cause squinting when I fire it up in the loft. Using it outside, I can swear that it must be brighter and more appearant throw than before. I am really liking this light.

For my first lights having HiCRI leds I am impressed. Initially, there is a little letdown because you don’t get that intense bluish white hotspot. But once I took these lights outside and the green pines and browns of tree bark light up in near perfect color it become apparant that what you see on a white wall isn’t what works outside. I’ll work on some pictures later. Here are the lights that were modded.

Nice interesting posting. Thank you for sharing. What is the bin on those emitters?

EDIT: Yeah, those are some very sweet looking lights.

Nice mod! Those Legions are really sweet looking lights. 8)

I haven't seen the 90 CRI XM-L2 yet. I didn't even know they were out yet. Can yopu post a link to where you got them?

Vinh did these Mods for me. I think the leds come from Mouser. S6 flux bin. The drivers put into the legion lights are CC perfectly flat regulation and 5 levels with no PWM and battery check feature. The thumb level selection makes them pretty unique. I always really liked these before but never liked the blue tint of the 6500k. The overdriven HiCRIs are the most perfect tint I have.

Check my signature. :wink:

EDIT:
I really want one or more of these, but cant bother to order from Mouser. Shipping kills the price, and customs here kills the price if I put a larger order…
I have requested them to both FT and IOS along with some other emitters. Fingers crossed!

OP, that is some nice lights with some nice emitters. Thanks for sharing!

I just ordered some of these LEDs, so keep an eye out for an upcoming build (or two.)

Those lights are beauties - all three of them !

I will be sure to get some pics this weekend. The color is really nice on the L2s. I hope it shows as well on the camera.

I’ll charge up the magcharger and use that for comparison. Here were some other color temps that I had photographed.

I've said it before , and I'll say it some more , High CRI emitters are a game changer .

The new frontier .

I really believe that too. The eyes don’t interpret light the same way as a Lux meter.
The 6500K in the photograph of the birdhouse was the LegionII with the SST50 6500. Notice how the green is completely off tint, almost grey. It’s nice and bright but the human eye stuffs all those color detecting cones in the fovea, so lets use LEDs that make use of them already!

I really need to try some of these, just not for a while, I’m on a light embargo :frowning:

Here are some quick pics. I think it looks better though.

MagLED 2D

Neosekian LegionII SST-50 4.6A modded XM-L2 90 CRI

_
_
The other L2 is very similar but I’ll get pic of the Elektrolumens Big Brusier 3 XM-L2 90 CRI later. These are all direct Cu mounts. I want to compare to MagCharger as they are not looking this warm IRL.

I’ve got a couple of these high CRI XML-2s sitting at home. I’m planning on building some p60 drop ins with them. Now I can’t wait!

Excellent shots. I gotta say, I like 5700k SST-50 in the GIF comparison.
Definitely will be interesting to see how the Hi-CRI XM-L2s stack up with the pleasant halogen MC.

Here are some shots comparing the MagCharger (incan) with the HiCRI Legion II with 90CRI XM-L2 mounted on Cu at up to 4.6A

CTL

MagCharger

L2 lvl 1

L2 lvl 2

L2 lvl 3

L2 lvl 4

L2 lvl 5

Thank you for the beam shots. How do they compare to what you actually saw?

The tint of the led is less warm and more white than it appears here. Even the MC seems to show a bit more on the warm side. Beam pattern on the legion II is about perfect for my uses. So much brighter than the MC and I couldn’t be happier.

I’ve only taken a few beam shots, but that is my experience too. Warmer in pictures. You’ve got me real interested in these 90CRI xml’s. I would gladly sacrifice some lumens for better color rendition. Do you have experience the Nichia 219 B10’s? If yes, how would you say they compare other than brightness?

Sorry i don’t have any of the nichias to compare. But my experience with these is they are quite good and I would say increased output compared to the 6500k sst50 even with these warmer leds. But these have become some of my first lights to grab when going outdoors. The color is less harsh than the cold whites. Good stuff I’d go for it. Mount it to a sinkpad.

Thank you for the input. The browns in your photos are actually shades of brown. As opposed to shades of gray with other emitters. May you and those cool lights in the OP forever shine brightly.

MagCharger with one of those babies.