Review: Heseny HXY-18650-2A (4.35 volt) Charger

Heseny HXY-18650-2A (4.35 volt)

This is a 4.35 volt charger, i.e. it cannot be used for the normal LiIon batteries, but only 4.35 volt cells like LG 18650 D1 3000mAh (Pink) and Sanyo UR18650ZTA 3000mAh (Magenta).

I bought it from Fasttech and it was shipped in the usual envelope.

Only contents of the box was the charger, nothing else.

Specifications on the back says universal voltage and 1A charge current.

At the + end is a + mark and the connections will work with flat top batteries.
I am missing some big letters saying 4.35 volt.

The - end has the usual springs and red/green leds. The charger can handle 70 mm long batteries.

The bottom of the slots is marked with battery size and orientation, but again without any warning about 4.35 volt.

Measurements

• Discharge battery with 3.5mA when power is disconnected.
  • Charges battery when power is connected.
  • Charger will always charge.
  • Charger will charge with 1A when battery voltage is very low at higher voltage the current will be reduced.
  • Charger will change from red to green light at 4.28 volt.
  • The channels are independent and there are small variations between them.

The rated 1A charge current is difficult to see in the chart, because the charge current drops with voltage and with empty batteries it is dropped to about 700mA.
The led switches to green after about 6 to 7 hours, this is before the batteries are charged, wait about 3 more hours and the batteries are up to 4.35 volt. The charger does never turn the charge current off.
As usual the yellow line shows where the charger says the battery is charged, i.e. led changes from red to green.

The second channel is slight faster.

Running both channels at the same time, does not change the charge speed.

Testing with 2500 volt and 5000 volt between mains and low volt side, did not show any safety problems.

Conclusion

The charger will fill 4.35 volt batteries and as long as the batteries are removed when they are full, the charger is useable. But without any termination, misleading ready led and slow charging I would look for another charger.
I am missing a 4.35 volt marking on the top of the charger.

Notes

The tests were done at 110VAC mains power.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

Thanks for the review HKJ. Looks like theres still an opening available for a budget 4.35 volt charger.

Nice review HKJ, thanks. Fasttech are offering this charger with Panasonic 3400mAh cells, which seems a little strange (not to mention unsafe). I didn’t think 4.35v Panasonic cells were available.

Link here

That is definitely a bad combination.

Thanks for the review! :slight_smile:
No need for me to consider that charger then…

I was ready to buy it , but now I’ll wait for something else. Thanks again.

I don't have any 4.35v cells yet, but when I do I will use a hobby charger and wait for a better dedicated charger to become available. Thanks for the review.

Usual a hobby charger cannot handle 4.35 volt cells (The iCharger can only do 4.30 volt).

You can get a god 4.35 volt charger from cottonpickers (A guy on CPF).

I have the iCharger and the one think I have not tried is use Trickle Charging mode for LiPos after I have set the termination voltage to 4.3. I think that this might do the job and bring the batteries up to 4,35 if you wish so.

I also have the LGs and I think that the difference between charging to 4,35v vs 4,30v is not significant anyway while performance of the LGs is still higher than my Panasonic 3400s (Protected). I try not to charge my batteries 100% to prolong their life. With normal LiPos I charge up to 4,16-4,18.

That guy has some nifty little chargers. Thanks for the link!

I was hoping you’d review this one, thank you for your efforts!

I gave that a try with the one I received on a number of occasions, however after no amount of additional charging would the battery read beyond 4.29V. So I’m wondering if that means it no longer continued to product any charging current after the green light like yours did?

The problem might be that the control of the led and the charge voltage are independent with each their own tolerances (This is just a guess).

FT sent me another one and I didn’t do much with it other than check once and it seemed to charge a bit higher. I didn’t leave it charging for a few hours to see if it continued to raise the voltage, so I’ll have to give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

How has your replacement been working so far?

I see that Fasttech now has another 4.35V charger looks exactly the same as this Heseny HXY.
I wonder if the internals are any better?

My Polar charges to 4.31v

Thanks for that bdiddle!

I guess cottonpickers is the only good source for now.

Sorry I was remiss in getting an update. The replacement was better, it seems to cut off around 4.32, I guess that’s better than overcharging. I have 2 of the 4.35V batteries that I use on a regular basis and that’s the charger that I use for them. I have not seen any other issues such as overheating, etc.

Given that it is about a buck and a half cheaper it seems unlikely that the components would be any better, don’t you think? I agree, it looks like the same charger anyway.