A small outdoor beam shot comparison starring: TomE’s Turbocharged Thrunite TN31 (XML2)

Hi guys, I know I’m a little late to the TN31 party, but this one is different. Modified by TomE is the TN31 which blows everything I have out of the water. Currently, the changes to it are as follows:
• Resistor mod bringing current up to 5.6A
• Dedoming of the XML2 1A
• Changed boot clicky to GITD green

The body has quite aggressive knurling, has 3 crenulations instead of 2 compared with the first generation TN31, smooth crenulated bezel, AR coated glass, smooth mode dial. I’m sure many of you have already read a few reviews of the TN31 already, so I’ll focus on what this is really about.

The dedomed emitter. Note the bond wires are still covered by silicon to increase durability. What a superb job!

Yes, this light now has a dedomed emitter. What does this mean? A dedomed emitter as opposed to an untouched stock emitter has a few differences.

1. The tint becomes yellower, some might say closer to neutral white.
  2. Lumens drop by 15-30%.
  3. Surface brightness increases (which leads to the more than 2x tighter beam over stock) – this is the main reason why people dedome emitters.

Here are a few numbers before I let the pictures do the talking.
Candela/lux: 370kcd, 370,000 lux .
Distance (ANSI): 1.2 kilometres, 1312 yards .
Lumens @ 30 seconds: 1440 lumens.

BTU Shocker bottom, TN31 top:

Outdoor:
Skyray King:

BTU Shocker:

TN31:

Zoomed in:
Skyray King: Shocker: TN31:

Amazing TN31 mod! Amazing throw and useful beam! Very nice tint! Congrats Slewflash! Great work Tom E!

With 360kcd, do you think you can do cloud bounce? A nice beam shot is highly appreciated!

Lucky its not total fire ban here Slewflash. I reckon the trees in the hotspot of the TN31 are on fire. The shocker and the TN31 also appear to have the same spill the difference being the hotspot. Nice shots.

Does it look very yellow in real life too? That looks like a huge tint change if it started life as a 1A.
Based on the pictures that is. (I have no idea about white balance)

When that is said. SICK THROW!!! How are you licking it!?

I modded my TN31 too and that throw is amazing. Dont know, if its the same, but definately impressing.

Had the chance to really use it tonight on duty for searching a missing person. Performed great on the fields! Unfortunately we were not successfull…=/

Toppel

Edit:
Was the king with my light, until the helicopter with the searchlight arrived and turned the night into day =D

WOW great mod! :slight_smile:

What is also impressive, is the ability of the Shocker to wash out everything in like 15m radius lol

Funny you should mention this, I in fact CAN cloud bounce (with low lying fog). this doesn’t say much, but my other lights couldn’t reach the fog - just the TN31.

Took those with my phone so the quality isn’t really there.

I didn’t notice the yellowish that much in person (possibly distracted from the light saber-like beam) but these pictures are what led me to ponder if dedoming an XML2 lowers the CRI. I turned automatic light balance on to try and even out the tint, but looking at the beam again next to me on a wall doesn’t seem to be as yellow. It is yellow, but not that intense.

Yes these dedomed TN31’s are uber impressive. I think this one is the best I’ve seen yet. Having Tom do his magic on it likely gave it a nice bump.

too cool

It’s such a great light in so many ways. It throws like a mother, high lumens, nice warm tint, has a long run time and it has really good mode spacing.

Being able to cloud bounce is probably my favourite part :bigsmile:

Another wicked TomE mod. Dig it.
Shocker looks good too.

Your shots of King, Shocker, and de-domed TN31 are a good selection showing bright flood vs bright flood with throw vs super thow with lots of flood. 3 styles that are very distinct yet share similarities at the same time.

Thanks, I tried using common lights which would help put things into perspective.
It still amazes me how bright the tn31 is, because you usually hear dedicated thrower and low lumens in the same sentence. But the spill on this thing is so bright I wouldn’t even call it a dedicated thrower.

Not sure I’d call a Shocker common, but its cool how the Shockers spill looks like the King’s flood… then there’s the Shockers beam! :open_mouth:

I know that quite a few guys here on BLF have a shocker so I just included that. I do have a maglite-esque torch but I don’t carry D cells anymore.

wow very nice! almost on par with the tn31mb but with a nice large hotspot! good work!

im actually very impressed by your tn30 actually. the spill on yours is incredible. its almost identical to the shockers but just not as bright.

ive seen other comparison beam shots with modded and unmodded tn31’s, and the flood/spill is alot less than the king and shockers.

im actually very impressed by your tn30 actually. the spill on yours is incredible. its almost identical to the shockers but just not as bright.

ive seen other comparison beam shots with modded and unmodded tn31’s, and the flood/spill is alot less than the king and shockers.

It is not as bright as the spill of the King on a white surface, but on darker surfaces it seems to lessen the gap. When I get my batteries off the charger I’ll take a light meter and measure the brightness of the spill of each.

very cool